1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking about trading in my Red Taco for a Speedway Blue Taco.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Stew_Fri, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Oct 16, 2008 at 9:04 PM
    Stew_Fri

Stew_Fri [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner Speedway Blue SR5 D. Cab Sport
    JC Whitney Light Bar w/ 4 100 watt KC Daylighters, Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil, K&N CAI (77 series), Hand Grenade Shifter, Custom Painted Engine Cover,
    Soooo....I bought this Red 2008 D. Cab 4x4 Sr5 Sport Taco, December 2007 right when i got back from Iraq. But....what i really wanted was a Speedway Blue Metallic D. Cab 4x2 Tacoma with the same styling as my red Tacoma (hood scoop, colored bumper and grill). I did not want the 4x4 because i know i would never need it or would rarely if ever go off-roading and plus all the extra weight of a 4x4 that would reduce MPG. But i was told the only way i could still have the Color Styling/Hood Scoop was to get a 4x4. I met a guy at my Apts that drives the exact same truck as me minus the 4x4. His is a 4x2 but still has the Scoop/Color grill/bumper. He said he bought it that way. I also wanted Speedway Blue Metallic but was told that Toyota in Japan had just (at the time) been hit by a big earth quake and production was reduced to 10%....meaning there were only 10 Hood Scooped/etc. Tacoma's in TX (none of which were Blue) and would be that way for the next 3 to 4 months. I thought this was a Croc so i checked it out online and sure enough i found news about the earth quake. So being a little impatient after spending 14 months in Iraq....i didn't want to wait anymore and went ahead and settled for the Red one.

NOWWWW, I'm having feelings of regrets as gas rises(not that big a deal but still) and as i see Blue Tacoma looking awesome driving around. I have been thinking about trading in my Red 4x4 for a Speedway Blue 4x2 Tacoma if i can find one. 08 or 09, i don't care Am I crazy??? WHAT SHOULD I DO OR WHAT CAN I DO? PLEASE HELP!!

Pics of My Taco:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What I want instead: (of course I would transfer all my upgrades(K&N CAI, hood protector, safari bar W/ lights) to my new taco)

2. Oct 16, 2008 at 9:12 PM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    If you have the money i would do it.

3. Oct 16, 2008 at 9:19 PM
    gozar

gozar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Wow, you'd take a big hit in depreciation just to get a different color? You could buy more upgrades, etc. with that money. But hey, you only live once right? By the way, I really wanted the red - but wound up with silver. I try to keep it dirty enough so that I don't care.

Just wondering - why do people want the hood scoop? Does it do anything?

Other options:
    01. Buy some glasses with blue tint.
    02. Save the money you'd lose on depreciation and buy a house with a garage. Put truck inside and close the door.

4. Oct 16, 2008 at 9:30 PM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    It does absolutely nothing but look cool lol. :cool:

5. Oct 16, 2008 at 9:33 PM
    Stew_Fri

Member:
    Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    JC Whitney Light Bar w/ 4 100 watt KC Daylighters, Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil, K&N CAI (77 series), Hand Grenade Shifter, Custom Painted Engine Cover,
    I have the money so that's not too big a deal. Yeah i was trying to figure out how big a depreciation hit i would take for trading it in. Yeah, the Hood Scoop does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Not functional at all. Purely cosmetic but i just think it completely changes the look and stance of the truck. I love it.

Yeah i try to keep mine as clean to keep me from thinking of Blue but just about everyday i go to work i see the same guy that drives a blue acess cab drive past my work and we stare at each other every time like a Mexican stand-off of our proud trucks, yet still both envious of the other.

Haha, blue tinted glasses. That might actually work except im getting eye surgery next week so i will never have to wear glasses again....at least till im old and hairy.

Hmmmm House......hmmm

6. Oct 16, 2008 at 9:36 PM
    gozar

gozar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Have you asked him if he'd trade? Now I'm starting to wish I had waited for a red one to be available! Why did you do this to me?

7. Oct 16, 2008 at 9:47 PM
    Stew_Fri

Member:
    Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    I don't know of anyone to trade with. The guy lived at my Apt drove a red one too.

MUAHAHAHA SUFFER LIKE I DO!!!.......hmmm.... Sorry, that was my mad scientist laugh. Sorry about that.

8. Oct 16, 2008 at 10:14 PM
    Stew_Fri

Member:
    Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    I would appreciate any additional advice.

9. Oct 16, 2008 at 10:21 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    I say go for it definately send me your light bar doesnt look good on your truck lol j/k but the speedway blue is nice. Getting the sport model looks sweet.

10. Oct 16, 2008 at 10:46 PM
    gozar

gozar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Hey Stew - I gave a smart ass answer earlier, so here's what I really think.

Go to edmunds.com and see what the trade in value of your truck is. While you are there, check out what the True Market Value of the new (Blue!) truck is. Request some dealer quotes. You could also calculate how many miles you drive each month and how much youd save on gas - ditto for insurance if it is cheaper for the 4x2. Now you will be in a position to decide if it is worth it.

Once you have the dealer quote - call them and ask what they have in stock. If dealers email you quotes without real numbers - ignore them. Ask them to fax or email a price on an actual vehicle, with a VIN number.

Here's the deal... DON'T just walk in to a dealer to have a casual discussion with your friendly car saleman about this - your emotions will get the best of you (I've been there and had the payment book to prove it...). The typical story is you walked in "just to talk" about trading for a new Tacoma - and drive off with a fully-optioned Tundra and an $800 a month payment for 72 months.

Another factor is that now that you've had your Taco for almost a year, and have made regular payments - you might be able to get a better interest rate from a lender. In fact, an excellent thing to do is to have your financing all dialed in before you get your price quotes. You're military right? So maybe Credit Union or USAA?

Dealers are really eager to move trucks right now, but not so keen on having another used vehicle around. Be prepared to hear a much lower trade value from the dealer than you think the truck is worth. Harsh, right?

So to sum up:
    Research the value of your present ride.
    Research the cost of the new truck.
    Get the numbers in writing BEFORE YOU GO TO THE DEALER!
    Get your financing locked in before you go to the dealer
    Try to get a better interest rate.
    Calculate gas and insurance savings.

Then you'll know what it will really cost you, and you can make your decision based on the numbers. If you have Oprah-type cash reserves - go for it. Think of it this way - if someone walked up to you and offered to magically change the color of your truck for $5000 would you do it? $6000? $7500? Option: Get a factory quality paint job - although it would cost a hella lot of money - and it just doesn't look stock unless you pay the full boat to have the whole thing torn down - engine out, doors and glass off etc.

Let us know how it goes!

11. Oct 16, 2008 at 10:56 PM
    gozar

gozar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
  12. Oct 17, 2008 at 3:55 PM
    Stew_Fri

Member:
    Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:

Wow, thanks for the awesome response. That gives me a great ideas of where to start and make sure i get the most out of it if i do decided to do a trade. THANKS!

13. Oct 17, 2008 at 3:57 PM
    Stew_Fri

Member:
    Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    HAHAHA, Suuuurrrrrreeeee.;) The light bar looks horrible on mine so Your light bar is already in the mail wink wink

14. Oct 17, 2008 at 4:06 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    I don't think there is a big difference(if any) in the fuel economy between the 4x4 and the prerunner. I think the dealer that sold you your truck is lazy. Finally, if you've got the money and don't mind losing money, go get the truck that you really want.

15. Oct 17, 2008 at 4:31 PM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    I guess we don't drug test here on TW.....

16. Oct 17, 2008 at 4:35 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    there's only about a 1mpg difference in the 4x4. i went the opposite way...i went from the 07 DC prerunner sport to an 09 DC 4x4 sport.

17. Oct 17, 2008 at 4:38 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah

Dude,

No matter what you do, ditch the dice! :eek:

18. Oct 17, 2008 at 4:43 PM
    TicTacOma

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I knew someone was in Sumter. Hey, I saw a Double Cab Tacoma for sale at the Chevy dealer there across from WalMart/Mall entrance. I run that route sometimes with FedEx. Was curious if it was still there. Looked sharp, Silver. Don't want it but it looked lonely, just sitting there. You can't miss it. It's in the used vehicle outlet.

There is also a 1st generation doublecab for sale in Columbia over on PineView Drive between Shop Rd and Garners Ferry. In front of the pasta place. American Italian Way is just before it if you are coming from Garners Ferry. Looks sharp too. Maybe our favorite deputy sheriff could cruise by. He won't get hassled.

Just an observation.

19. Oct 17, 2008 at 4:55 PM
    AUDITECH

AUDITECH Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION

Member:
    charlotte nc
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab prerunner
    none
    [​IMG]
    This is the way i bought it off the lot

Not as clean though

20. Oct 17, 2008 at 4:56 PM
    TicTacOma

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    Your driveway has an oil spot that looks like the head and shoulders of someone taking a picture, that's weird!

Products Discussed in

To Top