1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Decision time. Smittybilt step bar, black or stainless for my silver taco?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by peto48, Jul 13, 2011.

?

Stainless steel or black nfab step bar of silver taco

Poll closed Aug 16, 2011.
  1. Stainless steel

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Black powder coat

11 vote(s)
    84.6%
  1. Jul 13, 2011 at 3:20 AM
    peto48

peto48 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central NY
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma DCSB TRD Off Road Cement 4x4
    Salex Center console organizer, glove box organizer, Husky Xact contour front and rear digital floor liners, OEM black running boards, TRD PRO Sema 4runner wheels black, Blackout badge kit, Bakflip MX4 hard folding tonneau.
    Here is my situation, finally decided i am going to get the smittybilt steps for my silver quad cab taco. Now the real dilemma, black or stainless.

I love the looks of the black on the silver taco much more than the stainless (have not found a single pic on site of the stainless on silver). My truck exterior is still stock other than a tonneau. That being said, I am concerned about the durability of the black since I live in upstate New York. Winters here are harsh with the amount of road salt used. I am not looking to have to replace these in 3 to 5 years. So do I go with the look I know I love or take a chance on the stainless for the sake of durability?

On a side note, will the lifetime on the stainless even cover rusting due to the salt from the winters?

Thanks for the help. Love the site, but my wallet is beginning to hate it

2. Jul 17, 2011 at 8:37 AM
    peto48

Member:
    Central NY
    Vehicle:
    Salex Center console organizer, glove box organizer, Husky Xact contour front and rear digital floor liners, OEM black running boards, TRD PRO Sema 4runner wheels black, Blackout badge kit, Bakflip MX4 hard folding tonneau.
    Made it a poll, bumping it back to page one to get it going. If anyone has pics off the stainless on silver, would love to see them.

3. Jul 17, 2011 at 12:45 PM
    SAIRS

SAIRS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Super White 2012 Double Cab LB TRD SPORT
    Icon Extended Travel Stage 1, Total Chaos UCA's, Dakkar leaf pack, Beefed DCLB Sliders with extended kickout and custom BSP, Beefed Custom exo-rear tube bumper, Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft mod. Front mudflaps removed, Access LE soft tonneau cover, Weathertech digital floor mat, Weathertech window deflectors, Weathertech license plate frames. future plans = diamond plate tailgate mod, Venture Shield, TRD supercharger...the dream goes on and on....
  4. Jul 17, 2011 at 2:05 PM
    Iakopa84

Iakopa84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    Aries Grille Guard, PIAA 520 xtreme ATP lights, K&N high-flow intake, 2.5" velocity front leveling kit
    Personally, I think the black powder coat would look better with a silver tacoma. If your truck was black, I'd say the stainless would go better with that color.

5. Jul 17, 2011 at 2:16 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Get the stainless and have them powdercoated black , best of both worlds .

I have 2" stainless Nfabs on my MGM , I am considering having this done .

6. Jul 17, 2011 at 4:30 PM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    Regular steel is gonna rust in a couple years.Summit racing has black stainless.

7. Jul 17, 2011 at 9:42 PM
    JstreetS

JstreetS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB
    -6" Procomp -18" Method Race Rims -285/70R18 (34.1x11.5) Toyo MTs -TRD CAT Exhaust -Trifecta Tonneau
    I have seen several tacos on here with the black on silver taco, also try going to google images and type in " nfabs on Tacoma"

8. Jul 19, 2011 at 4:56 AM
    peto48

Member:
    Central NY
    Vehicle:
    Wasn't sure if you could powder coat over the stainless finish. I had that thought as well.

9. Jul 19, 2011 at 5:33 AM
    Jake7

Jake7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Levi
    Tritown Washington
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport
    aFe CAI, TRD S/C with 2.8 URD Pulley, Doug Thorley long tube headers, AFE Y pipe, Banks monster exhaust
    Is your grill and rear bumper still chrome? If so, stainless. If your blacking out all the chrome then black. If you get the stainless then decide you want black later or they start to rust you can reseal with primer then coat them with herculiner for like $30. I just did that to my stock toyota steps, it takes about a day total depending on how many coats you want and looks pretty good, to me anyway.

[​IMG]

10. Jul 19, 2011 at 5:57 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    I'm considering the nfabs as well, and I thought I remember reading that a few people had rust issues w/ them after a relatively short period of time (ie: 1-2yrs)

11. Jul 19, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    peto48

Member:
    Central NY
    Vehicle:
    My concern as well with the black powder coat. I am leaning more towards the stainless and then have them powder coated. Just want to make sure it does not void the lifetime warranty.

Products Discussed in

To Top