1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Seized 1GR-FE - Need Advice on Finding A Replacement

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Wally, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Jul 13, 2011 at 9:01 AM
    Wally

Wally [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario (the metric version)
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD 4x4 6MT 1GR-FE
    I'm changing the oil on my 07 TRD the other night and realized I didn't have a spare filter on the shelf, so I put everything back together and filled it with oil. I planned on running to the auto store first thing in the morning to get a new filter to finish the job. Murphy's Law being what it is, I put the used filter I had just taken off on the floor on the driver's side to remind myself not to absentmindedly start the engine until I put the new filter on.

So I tell my wife I had to run a quick errand and took the car to the store to pick up a couple of filters. As I'm pulling into the driveway, it took a few seconds to hit me that my truck was missing and there was oil all over the driveway and down the road. While I'm gone, she decides that she doesn't want to wait for me to get back to use the car to go to the store and takes my truck instead. She had never EVER driven my truck before and wouldn't remotely consider taking it because she knows how long I waited to buy it and it's pretty special to me so I didn't even think about telling her I was in the middle of some work.

To make it worse, despite seeing a huge puddle of oil in the driveway when she was backing up and my 7 year old daughter telling her multiple times not to take daddy's truck because he was working on it and something was wrong, she proceeds to drive down the road pumping every last bit if oil out of the engine until it seizes solid. So my meticulously maintained engine with only 25K on it is now a piece of junk. And I was so, so close to screwing the old filter back on "just in case" but it was getting dark and the mosquitoes were attacking me so I just put the old filter on the floor as a reminder.

I was considering tearing the engine down and rebuilding it, but because of the cast in cylinder liners the block can't be bored and now I have to find a used one for a swap. I've done the usual searches on the internet for a replacement but I'm wondering if anyone has some good advice or past experience on sourcing used engines that they could recommend. It's an 07 TRD with only 25K miles on it so I want to make sure I get a really good quality low mileage replacement.

Any particular issues for compatibility or other gotchas to watch out for?

2. Jul 13, 2011 at 9:11 AM
    ds46000

ds46000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    wow, horrible story if true. i feel for ya man...you were just trying to take care of your truck and end up needing a new engine...horrible. can't give you any advice, just sympathy.

3. Jul 13, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    Your Wife will probably never drive your vehicles ever again...

4. Jul 13, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Good machine shop can deal with your liners but if it ran out of oil it probably seized the cams.

5. Jul 13, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Dude, have you been cheating on her or something?? Just asking...

6. Jul 13, 2011 at 11:06 AM
    Hiatt1991

Hiatt1991 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hiatt
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    4" Bodylift 20" Offroad shock spacers Turbo Encabulator
    Theres a guy on TTORA.com selling his 1gr-fe engine. Its on the classifieds. Id send him a pm if i were you. Or perhaps look in a junkyard. And if that doesnt work, ask your wife to make you a sammich. : )

7. Jul 13, 2011 at 11:08 AM
    Wally

Member:
    Vehicle:
    No but it seems like a good time to start ...

8. Jul 13, 2011 at 11:14 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Touche! :D

But seriously, were I in your shoes, I'd make a call to my insurance agent to see if this is possibly a "comprehensive" claim. Engine replacement is nasty.:eek:

9. Jul 13, 2011 at 11:17 AM
    YFZ_TRD

YFZ_TRD 4Runner Pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Holy hell. I wouldn't even be able to look/talk to my wife for a year. Was the hood closed? I always leave the hood open until the job is done. If someone closes the hood and then drives it without getting my seal of approval - they are paying for the damage.

10. Jul 13, 2011 at 11:21 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Damm...I sure didn't want to read a story like that today! I've got a 07 with almost 17,000 miles and I'd feel sick if that happened. Hope everything works out and you find a good low milage engine.

11. Jul 13, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    dieseltoys

dieseltoys Well-Known Member

Member:
    We have a bunch of complete 1GR-FE's sitting around the shop from conversion vehicles. Let me know if you're intersted. -Todd

12. Jul 13, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    Jdaniel1274

Jdaniel1274 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    01 DC TRD 4X4
    PIAA lights, OMD leaf spring mod, magna flow muffler, oil filter relocation kit
    Sorry to hear this!

13. Jul 13, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    prae

prae Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 SR5 BSP DCLB
    Bilstein 5100s, eibach springs, AAL, TRD anthracite FJC rims, PIAA Fogs, Pace-Edwards hard rolling tonneau
    oh man, that sucks. if my wife did something like that, i'd probably divorce her!

14. Jul 13, 2011 at 12:30 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Dam, that oil must have shot all over the place, She didnt see the oil smoking off the manifold?

15. Jul 13, 2011 at 1:36 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Call your insurance company first and see if they'll help you. You never know and asking doesn't hurt.

16. Jul 13, 2011 at 1:41 PM
    originalthoughts

originalthoughts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1997 Land Cruiser
    None, factory diff lockers are great.
    It's stories like this that make me glad my girl knows that she is not allowed to drive my truck without my explicit permission. Although I will say it's easier for me to implement that since we're not married and have no community property.

17. Jul 13, 2011 at 2:26 PM
    Wally

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I did call my insurance company and unfortunately it's not covered. I know I'm going to be able to find an engine for it, I just want to find a low mileage one though since the rest of the truck is in really nice condition and I want to maintain the value of it. What really bums me out is how much time I spent looking for the perfect used truck. After much searching, I found a 2007 TRD 6 speed with 18K miles on it for $20K with all the service records from the Toyota dealer. I drove 500 miles to go pick it up and it was in perfect condition ...

Yes, there was a HUGE freakin' puddle of oil on the ground when she was backing out of the driveway and she even saw it but ignored it. My 7 year old daughter knew something was wrong and told her not to go anywhere because she saw me working on it the night before and could see the oil filter sitting on the floor of the drivers side floor and all the oil on the ground.

I couldn't even talk when I realized what happened, i was rolling around on the floor in pain ... If you don't think it could happen to you, you have to realize that my wife showed absolutely NO desire to EVER drive my truck in case something happened while she was behind the wheel, which is why I just left the reminder for me instead. She wouldn't even take my truck for a drive when I offered in the past, so for her to go somewhere early in the morning AND decide to use my truck for the first time was so improbable, I still can't believe it happened.

I drank a LOT of beer yesterday.

18. Jul 13, 2011 at 2:37 PM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    Maybe instead of engine replacement, consider wife replacement. Trade old one in and get newer model with less miles on her?

19. Jul 13, 2011 at 2:41 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    You should be able to have the cylinders bored and either sleeved or get over sized rings

20. Jul 13, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    Wally

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Replacing the engine in my truck is sooooooo much cheaper than that option.

Those curves look so friggin' tempting when they're 20 yrs old ... now it's just endless confusion :)

Products Discussed in

To Top