Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Another wheel/tire size question

Old 07-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Another wheel/tire size question

I have an '09 Tacoma 4x4
5100's set at 2.5"
Rear TSB with 5th AAL
17x8.5 wheels, 4.25 Backspace, 0 offset

Can I fit 285/70/17 on my truck without rubbing?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
No, you cannot

You will need to trim your inner fenders as well as possibly the cab mount chop.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Would it be major trimming or just a little?
Old 07-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
And now for something completely different....
Priddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
With my wheels and tires in my specs below, I rub the front fender slightly and also rub the chassis on sharp turns. Given I have less offset and a narrower tire, and you have a slightly longer offset and a wider tire, you may experience something similar.

Having said all that, my rubbing is only minor and I haven't bothered to trim anything.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco-NB View Post
Would it be major trimming or just a little?
It should be minor from what I have heard. I do not know from personal experience, but I have done a ton of reading on here. You should be trimming and not "cutting" your inner fenders... I will have my lift here in a month or 2, so I will find out from personal experience here shortly!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priddle View Post
With my wheels and tires in my specs below, I rub the front fender slightly and also rub the chassis on sharp turns. Given I have less offset and a narrower tire, and you have a slightly longer offset and a wider tire, you may experience something similar.

Having said all that, my rubbing is only minor and I haven't bothered to trim anything.
^^^ And those are 20mm narrower than the OPs selected tires even...
Old 07-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
MMMMM Taco's

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priddle View Post

Yes yours are a different size. I don't mind doing a little trimming but want to avoid cutting a bunch out. I've done some reading but i'm finding it difficult to search these exact specs where my question is answered.

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
MMMMM Taco's

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have this setup that can comment?

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #9
MMMMM Taco's

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Well ... I bought some 285/70/17 BFG All Terrain TA KO's today. I hope to get them installed this week. I'll let you guys know about the trimming and I'll post pics if anyone is interested.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #10
MMMMM Taco's

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Here are some pictures. Hardly any trimming needed!!

Looking' good!!

Can barely see the two spots I trimmed!!

One more shot.