Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

what rating of a Jack and Jack Stand would I need for my truck

Old 07-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
JUJtacoma2010 is on a distinguished road
JUJtacoma2010's Tacoma Gallery
what rating of a Jack and Jack Stand would I need for my truck

I need to buy a jack and a jack stand and wondering what load strength should I buy? I have a 3 ton jack stand at home and wondering if that will work.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Your truck weighs just over 2 tons. 3 tons will work fine. I got a 4 ton low profile high lifting Torrin jack.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
Just make sure it has enough lift if your truck is lifted. Or you wil have to use wood blocks also.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
i would buy a 3 ton floor jack and 6 ton stands I have a set of 2,4,6 & 12 tons and the 6 tons are the perfect size for a Tacoma the 4 tons are a little small. And my 2 tons are for my girls car And the 12 tons well are huge!

Harbor Freight has a 3 ton jack on sale for 70 bucks right now with a coupon i just picked one up it's beefy as hell and the 6 Ton jack stands are 39.00 with a coupon.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
JUJtacoma2010 is on a distinguished road
JUJtacoma2010's Tacoma Gallery
thanks guys

thanks. I will stop by a store and get one
Old 07-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Check out Sears, I picked up a 3 Ton jack, 2 jack stands and a creeper in a kit for $100 this past Christmas!
Old 07-15-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I would not buy Crasftman junk. 2 torque wrenches and 1 jack have failed on me.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I would not buy Crasftman junk. 2 torque wrenches and 1 jack have failed on me.
Damn, that sucks... I haven't had any issues with their stuff so far, knock on wood!
Old 07-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I've got two craftsman jack stands and a craftsman floor jack, absolutely no issues man.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Damn, that sucks... I haven't had any issues with their stuff so far, knock on wood!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
I've got two craftsman jack stands and a craftsman floor jack, absolutely no issues man.
Their old stuff used to be good but their new stuff is junk. I had a 4 ton quick lift/low profile jack that failed picking up a Civic. It didn't drop the car it just wouldn't pick it up after a few pumps. I followed the air bleeding procedure throughout the 2 years that I had it and it still died.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
you can find out the curb weight of your truck through toyota's website or google, then you look for the jack that is rated for at least that rate
Old 07-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
OP, you should be fine with a pari of 3 tons for stuff like axles and 6 tons for the frame rails, mainly need for height to keep the wheels off the ground, not weight capacity. But I like the added safety, too, when I am under there.

I had a Crafstman jack that sucked, mainly because the release control was terrible.

I got a 3.5 ton Arcon from Costo a couple years ago, and it is great. good height, quick lift, smooth, slow release. I know a few other guys here have them too and like it a lot. Like $89 at Costco 9when they have them, they do in Sac now) and about $130 at Northern Tool.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
OP, you should be fine with a pari of 3 tons for stuff like axles and 6 tons for the frame rails, mainly need for height to keep the wheels off the ground, not weight capacity. But I like the added safety, too, when I am under there.

I had a Crafstman jack that sucked, mainly because the release control was terrible.

I got a 3.5 ton Arcon from Costo a couple years ago, and it is great. good height, quick lift, smooth, slow release. I know a few other guys here have them too and like it a lot. Like $89 at Costco 9when they have them, they do in Sac now) and about $130 at Northern Tool.
I agree with you there, the release control is horrible on the Craftsman jack I have. I'm getting better with it but it lets go very quickly!
Old 09-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
Johnnyh is on a distinguished road
Johnnyh's Tacoma Gallery
I get that this thread is a year old, but just for future reference I've had one of those harbor freight jack stands fail on me. And had it not been for the jack doubling as a second safety I probably would have been in bad shape. The lip bent over that should lock it in place. Just food for thought, maybe I got a lemon
Old 09-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyh View Post
I get that this thread is a year old, but just for future reference I've had one of those harbor freight jack stands fail on me. And had it not been for the jack doubling as a second safety I probably would have been in bad shape. The lip bent over that should lock it in place. Just food for thought, maybe I got a lemon
I wouldn't buy a #2 pencil from harbor freight.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #16
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Check out Sears, I picked up a 3 Ton jack, 2 jack stands and a creeper in a kit for $100 this past Christmas!
I got the same deal a couple years ago...still working fine.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #17
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
I wouldn't buy a #2 pencil from harbor freight.

or tape
Old 09-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #19
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
I thought i'd be safe buying zip ties there...NOT!!. The things are fucking garbage.
LOL!

Yup.

Bought 1000 of them. Ended up packing up my worksite and driving 10 miles to an electronic wholesale shop.
Things would seem to snug up, then they'd pop free like they had no teeth.