Notices

Do other Roof Racks fit on Double Cabs?

Old 07-17-2011, 04:54 AM   #1
TheBlueTacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Devlin
TheBlueTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Do other Roof Racks fit on Double Cabs?

Hello,
Just joined TW and I have a 06 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD sport. I am wondering if there are other roof racks besides the OEM that fit into the pre-existing holes on the double cab. I want a set up that can support a roof top tent weighing 125 lbs. The OEM are rated to only 75lbs. . .
thanks,
devlin
Old 07-17-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Thule sells a cleat called a tk1 fit kit that fits in pre-existing holes. Tower w/ load bars click into cleat. pic of another guys set up for you. I run the clamp thule rack on my truck, not this setup. Not sure how you get in & out of the tent but the roof dents easily fyi.
I have seen the platform tents on top of the bed here using a prefab bed rack. Good luck with your project & welcome to the forum.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
thank you for the info. my taco also has a snug top shell, I think I may just put rails one that, then and set it up. As for getting in and out of the tent, it has a ladder with some clearance from the cab. When you say the cab dents easily, do you mean the space between the railings can dent easily or the weight on the railings can dent the cab?
Old 07-17-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueTacoma View Post
thank you for the info. my taco also has a snug top shell, I think I may just put rails one that, then and set it up. As for getting in and out of the tent, it has a ladder with some clearance from the cab. When you say the cab dents easily, do you mean the space between the railings can dent easily or the weight on the railings can dent the cab?
Just the cab roof. I accidently kneeled on mine adjusting the kayaks & it left an impression. My thule rack has never left any dents from the towers or bars.

Pretty cool idea with the ladder for getting in & out & putting on the rack on the snugtop. Would you post up pics of the whole setup when you are done if you can. Seeing that setup would be awesome. Thank you.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
musty40 is on a distinguished road

Name: Alan
musty40's Tacoma Gallery
What is the distance between the factory holes in the roof and does yakima sell a landing pad to fit it?

Would like to do a setup like the Thule but all my accessories are Yakima.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:06 AM   #6
I will let you know by this weekend what the hole width is when i install my new tk1,

@ Simon's Mom - is the pink goo around the holes silicone?
Old 07-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
Wag More Bark Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueTacoma View Post
I will let you know by this weekend what the hole width is when i install my new tk1,

@ Simon's Mom - is the pink goo around the holes silicone?
I am not sure, it wasn't my truck but a thread from my toyotanation days...will go and try to find it and post it up.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...26#post1969426
hope it works, its like post #13. He does not say what the goop is though.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:04 AM   #8
I measured it out, and yes, the tk1 fits the double cab **BUT*** only one pair. NOT THE FULL SET. Only the back set can go on, the front bolts are too oddly spaced unless you want to drill a new hole into the roof. Guess I am going to get the OEM and use the TK1 set on my shell.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
jep527 has a spectacular aura aboutjep527 has a spectacular aura aboutjep527 has a spectacular aura about

Name: jerry
jep527's Tacoma Gallery
what about a proline roof rack track curved screwed down to the factory holes and the tk1 bolted to them with the 430 feet. been thinking of trying it out.