1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM mud flaps: different size than original?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by neil1967, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Jul 17, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    neil1967

neil1967 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Impulse Red pearl TRD Off Road
    Hi All,

My '05 DC needed both right side mud flaps, and when I ordered them from someone on ebay, found that the right front one was clearly about 2 inches longer than the original one on the left front. The part number is this: 76621-04101. If you look this part number up, it is supposed to fit all '05-'10 Tacomas, and yet this doesn't match the length of the original.

I am thinking my next step is to remove the left front flap and check the part number, but don't want to because it's a pain to get off with the way the bolts work (you have to bend the black plastic trim that sits behind it and immobilize the nut of one of the retaining bolts).

Hoping someone knows about this so I don't have to pull that other front flap off...?

Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Jul 17, 2011 at 11:07 AM
    gatlin69

gatlin69 Retired?

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tampa
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    Nerf bars, bug shield,skid plate, coming soon (hopefully) DVD NAV
    All I know the one I have the are factory are like 2 in. or less from the ground...that is on a 4x4 off road

3. Jul 17, 2011 at 11:16 AM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    Most of us with the 05's got lucky and our original front flaps are much shorter. To my knowledge, they can not be purchased anymore... Hence, the reason for the difference.

4. Jul 17, 2011 at 11:16 AM
    neil1967

neil1967 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    hmm, the plot thickens...

I just went and measured the one on the left front and it is about 6 1/2 " off the ground. The new one I got is like yours, just a couple-few inches off the ground. My question is a) did they make different length ones for different taco's (DC, TRD off road, TRD sport, etc.)? If you look up part numbers, it seems there's only 1 OEM one...

The right front one I bought is about 21 inches from the very top where it finishes wrapping around the fender trim to the flat of the bottom, whereas the one that came with the truck on the left front is only about 19"....

5. Jul 17, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    There is a thread on here somewhere about this. From what I remember the older models had shorter flaps, not sure about what years. I just trimmed my front down about 3 1/2 inches to match the rears. Pretty easy to do. There is a thread on this in the cheap mods. Just take a piece of cardboard and trace the flap on to the cardboard and you have a guide to trim by. I'm glad I finally did mine. I think they came out good. I was afraid they would wind up looking like sh*t and I would wind up taking them off. IMO it is a must do unless you just remove them all together.

6. Jul 17, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    neil1967

neil1967 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    This makes sense, that the older ones had shorter flaps. The question I have is then why is Toyota only selling one size to cover all year ranges? If you aren't replacing both it's just stupid...

7. Jul 17, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    neil1967

neil1967 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
  8. Jul 17, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    That is a common problem for many manufacturers. It boils down to the fact that they do not want to continue paying for the manufacture of items that arent actually needed - i.e. the new size flaps will fit all models of trucks, so why make the old ones JUST for replacements? SAAB did this with their emblems - you can no longer get the old (pre 2000 I think) style. You have to order the newer ones or buy third party.

Products Discussed in

To Top