Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bad leak in rack and pinion

Old 07-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
youngblood1856 is on a distinguished road

Name: Sterling
youngblood1856's Tacoma Gallery
Bad leak in rack and pinion

Alright today while turning into a restaurant i felt my steering go from soft to hard in an instant and when i got to look under my driver side wheel well there was power steering fluid everywhere. It was bad enough i got a buddy to take me home so i could get a trailer to get it home. I have totally lost all power in my steering and need any help from anyone that might have ideas to where the leak could be and how to fix. I have until friday before i have to drive it and fix it but need some insight from anyone willing.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood1856 View Post
Alright today while turning into a restaurant i felt my steering go from soft to hard in an instant and when i got to look under my driver side wheel well there was power steering fluid everywhere. It was bad enough i got a buddy to take me home so i could get a trailer to get it home. I have totally lost all power in my steering and need any help from anyone that might have ideas to where the leak could be and how to fix. I have until friday before i have to drive it and fix it but need some insight from anyone willing.
That quick leak would be high pressure hose as first suspect
Old 07-18-2011, 05:20 AM   #3
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Refill the reservoir, move the wheel, look for leaks. Keep your fingers away from the lines, a spray leak can inject fluid into you.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
rzimm001's Tacoma Gallery
Well on Saturday, Madtaco and myself decided to visit Palomar observatory and bring our nice cameras. Long story cut short; I ran my drivers side tire through a nasty rut and power steering fluid started leaking out of the end of the rack . I was nearly to the top of the mountain which kind of sucked, but luckily I got it back home without power steering. After a trip to Autozone and some research on the web, it appears I will be installing a new rack and pinion to the tune of $400. Apparently there's not much that can be done to service these new trucks if something grenades in the steering rack. I hope it's not too difficult doing the swap
Old 09-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzimm001 View Post
Well on Saturday, Madtaco and myself decided to visit Palomar observatory and bring our nice cameras. Long story cut short; I ran my drivers side tire through a nasty rut and power steering fluid started leaking out of the end of the rack . I was nearly to the top of the mountain which kind of sucked, but luckily I got it back home without power steering. After a trip to Autozone and some research on the web, it appears I will be installing a new rack and pinion to the tune of $400. Apparently there's not much that can be done to service these new trucks if something grenades in the steering rack. I hope it's not too difficult doing the swap
I hate to say it man but you will probably be replacing the pump as well. I didn't even drive mine with the broken rack just puled it up on the trailer and that was enough to kill the pump as well.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Years and mileage of your trucks? Any abuse you would like to claim? Like fun, hard core off roading?
Old 09-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #7
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood1856 View Post
I hate to say it man but you will probably be replacing the pump as well. I didn't even drive mine with the broken rack just puled it up on the trailer and that was enough to kill the pump as well.
Just finished the install about an hour ago. Man what a flippin job. On the plus side I did manage to get it done in less than a day by myself. Also the power steering pump appears to be fine. I'm surprised since I had to drive it about an hour without fluid. Either I got lucky or those pumps are durable. I'm going to align it tomorrow and see how she drives.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzimm001 View Post
Just finished the install about an hour ago. Man what a flippin job. On the plus side I did manage to get it done in less than a day by myself. Also the power steering pump appears to be fine. I'm surprised since I had to drive it about an hour without fluid. Either I got lucky or those pumps are durable. I'm going to align it tomorrow and see how she drives.
Im gonna go with you lucky haha because I barely drove mine and it was out. Toyota said it only takes just a minute and they are gone. But good thing for you it didnt hope it all works out well.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
Kenan01 is on a distinguished road
Kenan01's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down Wouldn't recommend a Toyota Tacoma.

2008 Tacoma with about 115K miles and last month the drive shaft was replaced, because the u-joints were not available as a seperate part. They did a recall to keep the gas pedal from sticking on the floor mat. Installed new front brakes, new blower motor for A/C, new tires for a drive out price of $3700.

Two weeks later, I took it back for a spongy brake pedal (soft since last service). I was told they did not open the lines to the brake system and that the mechanic who did the work could not find anyfault with the way the brakes felt, but he found a bad front wheel bearing (two weeks after the last service and a leaking rack and pinion.

This time the price is $2500. The truck is only driven on city streets and never off road or in heavy service, just a commuter, 10 miles every day and highway trips for business.

Bad drive shaft and bad rack and pinion in only 115K miles?

I thought Toyotas were supposed to be good trucks.

I'm afraid I will not be a member of the Toyota truck club much longer, if this truck is indicative of their quality (or lack there of).

I have put over 250K on the last three of my Ford F-150s, and didn't have these kind of costs, even with double the miles.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #11
Tearmytaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenan01 View Post
2008 Tacoma with about 115K miles and last month the drive shaft was replaced, because the u-joints were not available as a seperate part. They did a recall to keep the gas pedal from sticking on the floor mat. Installed new front brakes, new blower motor for A/C, new tires for a drive out price of $3700.

Two weeks later, I took it back for a spongy brake pedal (soft since last service). I was told they did not open the lines to the brake system and that the mechanic who did the work could not find anyfault with the way the brakes felt, but he found a bad front wheel bearing (two weeks after the last service and a leaking rack and pinion.

This time the price is $2500. The truck is only driven on city streets and never off road or in heavy service, just a commuter, 10 miles every day and highway trips for business.

Bad drive shaft and bad rack and pinion in only 115K miles?

I thought Toyotas were supposed to be good trucks.

I'm afraid I will not be a member of the Toyota truck club much longer, if this truck is indicative of their quality (or lack there of).

I have put over 250K on the last three of my Ford F-150s, and didn't have these kind of costs, even with double the miles.
Must be a lemon. Sometimes I wonder why my Toyota hasn't grenaded with all the abuse I've put it through. Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. Better luck to you in the future.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #12
Kenan01 is on a distinguished road
Kenan01's Tacoma Gallery
Lemons grow in Japan?

OK, so after originally taking my Tacoma in for a noise in the u-joint, the Toyota dealer replaced the entire drive shaft. They told me it was I should replace the front brakes before they went bad and they adjusted the rear brakes. I also let them replace all 4 tires and align the front end.

I had a lot of front end singing and thought it might be the tires.
I had a very soft brake pedal and took it back to see if they had gotten air in the system.

They told me they did not open the system to replace the front brakes or to adjust the rear.

They said the noise was not the tires, but the front wheel bearing.
They said there was nothing unusual about the way the brakes felt, and If I felt a difference it was probably due to the front wheel bearing going out.

I left the truck and I asked them to have the lead mechanic check the brakes. He did and said that he did not think there was anything wrong with the brakes.

They called me and told me that they had discovered that my Rack and Pinion was leaking. I have absolutely no fluids on my driveway, but they said that apparently it had just started leaking. Hmmm.

I told them to fix everything and they called to say my truck was ready for me to pick up.

I got a ride to the dealership and was told that my truck was out for a test drive. I waited 30 minutes and saw it come back in. I waited another 20 minutes and saw it leave again.

I went to see my service writer and he said that the lead mechanic was double checking the repairs.

A short time later, the service writer got a call from the lead mechanic, who told him that my Brake Master Cylinder had to be replaced.

Another $600.

Total so far $6800. And it started with a noise in my u-joint.

Yes, tires and brakes are wear items and should not be counted in the total, but, the string of other defective items is enormous, and the coincidence factor is off the chart.

Drive shaft, Blower motor, Wheel bearing, Rack & Pinion and Master Cylinder all within two months of each other? Really?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #13
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
You should have verified the problems before letting dealership replace shit on a whim.

You should have also come on here and found you CAN replace just a u-joint and not the entire shaft.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #14
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
You should have verified the problems before letting dealership replace shit on a whim.

You should have also come on here and found you CAN replace just a u-joint and not the entire shaft.
^This^

...and fix the blower motor
...and the brakes
...doubt there was anything wrong with the MC or steering rack