Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Debadge the back

Old 07-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
ortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Eric
ortlie09's Tacoma Gallery
Debadge the back

So I've been looking everywhere on the site, and I haven't found a write up on how to debadge the back. Sorry if someone has posted how to do it, but any one know what exactly I need to do to take off the badges on the taligate? I have an 11 Regular cab if that matters.
Thanks
Old 07-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
ortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Eric
ortlie09's Tacoma Gallery
So basically, just very slow and boring process then. That's what I figured, but I didn't know if there were any shortcuts. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kameron
Maverick904's Tacoma Gallery
braided fishing line works better than regular monofilament...but I only used that cuz I have it laying around...I wouldnt suggest goin out and buying a spool just for this cuz its expensive as hell...

also if you use briad...WEAR GLOVES
Old 07-17-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
judd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant future
EMS:
judd94's Tacoma Gallery
let the tailgate face the sun a little while to let the sticky stuff warm up. i just grabbed mine with some pliers and yanked em off, then balled up the tape that was still there. wiped it down with some adhesive remover and the tailgate never looked better.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
Veteran Redleg
SteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Arizona Army National Guard C BATTERY 1/180TH Field Artillery and the Pinal County Sheriff's Office
Name: Curt
SteelRain's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortlie09 View Post
So basically, just very slow and boring process then. That's what I figured, but I didn't know if there were any shortcuts. Thanks!

Chris4x4 recently debadged my 2005 in about 20-30 mins. The fishing line thing really works.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:16 PM   #7
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Fishing line and a fingernail... gloves definitely help

Takes me about 5-10 minutes a badge.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Just a little heat from hair dryer.
I used kite string.

Goo-gone, then wash and wax
Old 07-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #9
Spiral Out... Keep Going!
JBear is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
JBear's Tacoma Gallery
Wait... these things aren't riveted in? Just adhesive? Really? Niiiiice =)
Old 07-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
For me leather gloves, 3 pieces of 8lb fishing line braided together. (still broke a few pieces of line) It was a nice day so I let the sun warm them up a bit. Then gently "saw" behind each badge with the fishing line. Then my fingers, with gloves, worked great to remove the adhesive. Quick spray of goo gone and then a detailer spray to smooth it out.

Easy, did the whole truck in under 30 minutes.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #11
Yeti75 is just really niceYeti75 is just really niceYeti75 is just really niceYeti75 is just really niceYeti75 is just really nice
Yeti75's Tacoma Gallery
I used a hair dryer and fishing line on my wife's Charger and I had little fine scratches where I "sawed" back and forth. You could definitely see the outline of where the badge resided (even after cleanup). I just pulled out my Griot's and some Meg's 205 and it smoothed out easily, but I just wanted to warn others that might not have a polisher to be able to wipe those back out. Anyone else have this issue, or did I just do a crappy job? Plan on debadging my Taco this weekend, will see how this one goes.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Wait... these things aren't riveted in? Just adhesive? Really? Niiiiice =)
Easy mode to reverse, or you can play around and paint your logos and re badge with a different color. Or, maybe re arrange, delete some but not all, etc. Just play with it, and re apply with auto 3M adhesive dbl back clear if needed.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #13
09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
09taco4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I got the badges and sticky stuff off, but now you can def see where the badge was in the paint. How do I remove that?
Old 07-24-2011, 01:46 PM   #14
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09taco4x4 View Post
I got the badges and sticky stuff off, but now you can def see where the badge was in the paint. How do I remove that?
Wax it. And if that doesn't work, try claybarring
Old 07-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #15
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Wax it. And if that doesn't work, try claybarring
Like mentioned, claybar, surface pre wax cleaner, etc. If you noticed it that much with your 09, sounds like you may want to wax your truck soon. Must be stored outside and not garaged kept.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #16
Junebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Junebug McQuinn's Tacoma Gallery
I just used my fingers, but the truck was only a day old
Old 07-25-2011, 12:39 AM   #17
jeremy25056 is a splendid one to beholdjeremy25056 is a splendid one to beholdjeremy25056 is a splendid one to beholdjeremy25056 is a splendid one to beholdjeremy25056 is a splendid one to beholdjeremy25056 is a splendid one to beholdjeremy25056 is a splendid one to behold
jeremy25056's Tacoma Gallery
Grow your nails out a bit, have some tough skin on the finger tips, have steady hands, and grab a thin screw driver.... worked for me... just be careful!
Old 07-25-2011, 06:18 AM   #18
09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
09taco4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
Like mentioned, claybar, surface pre wax cleaner, etc. If you noticed it that much with your 09, sounds like you may want to wax your truck soon. Must be stored outside and not garaged kept.
Yes it is kept outside and I need to def wax it since that hasn't been done since I bought it in 09!!!! I'm waiting on the weather to be clear one weekend and I will work that truck over with a clay bar.