1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein HD (yellow/blue) aftermarket Shocks

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Scott K, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Jul 17, 2011 at 10:27 PM
    Scott K

Scott K [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Coquitlam, BC, Canada
    Amsoil Synthetic ASL 5w30 Oil, Amsoil ATL Fuel Efficient ATF, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 in front/rear diffs & transfer case.
    I have a 2007 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 5 speed auto Long Box, with the TRD Sport package that has the TRD Bilstein shocks.

Now there are the TRD Bilstein shocks, the Bilstein 5100 aftermarket lift shocks, but there are also aftermarket Bilstein HD shocks (Yellow/blue) that are their aftermarket replacement shocks for our trucks with stock ride height. A lot of guys have hard ons for the 5100's for a slight front end lift, and I don't think anyone has anything bad to say about the TRD Bilsteins other then they are a watered down Bilstein built for Toyota's TRD packaged trucks (originally anyways) that provide a decent stock ride (in my opinion). But the time is coming for me to replace my shocks, and I must admit I have a fondness for the aftermarket Bilstein HD Shocks.

My fondness was a result of owning a set of Bilstein HD shocks on my 93 Xtracab Toyota 4x4 pickup for a few years, which really enhanced ride quality compared to the stock shocks at the time. I do NOT need any lift, so I am not entertaining the idea, nor am I interested in the 5100's, period.

But I'm curious if any one has gone with the Bilstein HD Aftermarket (again, yellow/blue) shocks on their Tacoma and what they thought about them? My interest is their ride quality in comparison to the TRD Bilsteins. I would imagine they would be slightly firmer and provide a little sportier ride quality, on top of really enhancing the trucks loaded handling while towing or hauling like they did on my 93 pickup.

2. Jul 18, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    boss1041

boss1041 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chad
    valdosta, georgia
    Vehicle:
    07 dc 6 speed trd or, 95 auto
    Wondering out loud here but if there isn't a huge cost difference how bout the 5100s set at zero?

BCorban7884 likes this.
  3. Jul 18, 2011 at 1:19 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    i think most go with the 5100's because they are cheaper than the HD's and they improve the ride quality quite a bit. Not sure if the hd's will improve handling while loaded.

4. Jul 18, 2011 at 1:21 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    get the 5100's and set at the lowest setting for no lift.

5. Jul 18, 2011 at 4:45 PM
    Scott K

Scott K [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Coquitlam, BC, Canada
    Amsoil Synthetic ASL 5w30 Oil, Amsoil ATL Fuel Efficient ATF, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 in front/rear diffs & transfer case.
    I could be wrong, but don't the Bilstein HD's carry some kind of warranty from Bilstein where as the 5100's aren't warrantied by Bilstein?

I KNOW Bilstein HD's improve loaded handling from experience. On my 93 Pickup 4x4 Xtracab V6 with Bilstein HD's that is when these shocks really came into their own was when the truck was loaded up - they made a huge difference this way and the truck handled better, and safer - they significantly reduced the sway and effect the load had on influencing the handling of the truck which made the truck ride like a champ.

As far as price goes, I coud be wrong, but isn't the cost difference between the Bilstein HD's and the 5100's negligeable? Either way I am NOT interested in the 5100's, period. That is why I'm asking if there is anyone in here with the Bilstein HD's on their ride.

6. Jul 18, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    Cannonball

Cannonball Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 diesel / 1979 Jeep CJ-5
    Can't say for the tacoma but the HDs were great on my Dakota.

7. Sep 9, 2011 at 10:21 PM
    Shiner

Shiner BAMF

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Pensacola
    Vehicle:
    08 SWB 4x4 Sport 6-speed
    None yet, other than wheels :)
    Just got the HD's but I'm waiting to put them on until I get new leafs also.

The way I understood it from my research is that the HD's are made to be more of a smooth ride for a daily driver that still perfrom fairly well for off-road, and that 5100's perform better off-road and can add lift height but give a stiffer ride than the HD's.

8. Sep 9, 2011 at 10:25 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes

Depends if the fronts are adjusted all the way up.

Ride better than stock IMO

9. Dec 25, 2011 at 6:37 PM
    engdude758

engdude758 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 - Texas Edition
    I just replaced the Monroe Sensatrac shocks and struts on my Tacoma '97 SR5 4x4 with Bilstein 4600 HD series (the yellow and blue ones). I can't believe the improvement! I don't have a lift kit or anything - all stock suspension. I was not pleased with the performance I got from the Monroe shocks and they only worked well for a few years. The research I did led me to believe I would not be disappointed with the Bilsteins and I see that already. I'm not an expert and haven't bought many shocks like KYBs or Ranchos so I can't really compare the Bilsteins to them from personal experience.

I ordered mine through Autozone - they were reasonably priced and delivered the very next day.

Products Discussed in

To Top