1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Custom slider build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by korslite, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Dec 12, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    MontanaTaco

MontanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colter
    Relocated to Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB Sport
    OME lift
    I'm thinking of building some but I'm curious to how you cut the little tubes to match up with the outer tube. My thought was to drill it out with a slightly smaller bit and cut the rest?

2. Dec 12, 2011 at 6:42 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Sweet. Nice work. Gave me an idea to modify mine. :D

3. Dec 12, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    korslite

korslite [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    FOX 2.5 RR's, TC UCAs, TC Spindle Gussets, Allpro Expedition leaf pack, Fox 2.O RR w/ Comp adjusters, 17" ATX Artillery, BFG AT 285's, de-scooped, custom sliders, custom bedrack, Brute Force Fab bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, ARB locked Rear diff
    If I'm understanding your question correctly you are referring to the two intermediate supports that connect the inner an outer rails? If so what I did was notch the round-to-round joint using a standard 45* fish mouth pattern and rough cut the round-to-square joint with a grinder an continued to fine tune it until I liked the fit. This took me a bit since it is a compound miter, it intersects at two angles, towards the back at a 45* and up 30*. Once I liked the way it fit I made a wrap out of heavy paper so that I had a pattern for the other 3 pieces. One is identical and the others are mirrored so you gotta turn the wrap inside out.

This is kinda tough to explain in text so if that makes no sense I understand...

4. Dec 12, 2011 at 10:43 PM
    korslite

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    FOX 2.5 RR's, TC UCAs, TC Spindle Gussets, Allpro Expedition leaf pack, Fox 2.O RR w/ Comp adjusters, 17" ATX Artillery, BFG AT 285's, de-scooped, custom sliders, custom bedrack, Brute Force Fab bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, ARB locked Rear diff
    Whatcha gonna do to yours? Be sure to post pics. Love seein people's custom work.

5. Dec 12, 2011 at 11:09 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I bent the whole kick out section up on my passenger side. Theres no good way to support it from the frame, as the frame starts to sweep upwards. I like how you did a brace from the leg to the kick out and I think I'm gonna give that a try. Hopefully they won't bend anymore after that.

It's only tweaked slightly but you can see it's bowed if you look carefully.

Also, that picture of you lifting your truck with the crane is bad ass. :D

6. Dec 13, 2011 at 6:30 AM
    korslite

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    I see. I haven't tested mine out quite that thoroughly at least not way at the back like that. I landed on them a couple times pretty hard but they were more towards the middle where there is good support. I don't know how much upwards pressure they will withstand towards the back without springing back, but I know they will hold up well to pressure back towards the frame to kick you off whatever obstacle you are rubbed up against.

As for the crane, we have some REAL nice toys in our shop at work :) Could only be better if I could drink beer there...

7. Dec 13, 2011 at 5:33 PM
    MontanaTaco

MontanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colter
    Relocated to Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB Sport
    OME lift
    It makes a little sense. Now all I need is a tube bender......

Products Discussed in

To Top