1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sell Tacoma to pay off 2nd mortgage. Need Advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rangejeep, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Jul 19, 2011 at 1:13 PM
    BigJLarse83

BigJLarse83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    06 DC PreRunner TRD Sport
    Have you looked into refinancing the truck? You could see what the bank will loan against it, could be enough to cover your 2nd and keep the truck. Although, you now have a new loan on your truck and probably owe more than it's worth but your 2nd is paid off and the lein is on your car, not your house. And your new payment could be lower than the two you currently have. Plus, interest rates on car loans are pretty low right now if you have good credit.

2. Jul 19, 2011 at 2:19 PM
    Leichenstein

Leichenstein Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    4D TRD OR - TX Pro - SWB
    If you can sell a 6 year old truck with 115K miles for $18,000...you should quit your job and become a car salesman. You'd be able to con people left and right, make a ton of commission and pay off your debts that way.

3. Jul 20, 2011 at 2:03 AM
    o5iiawah

o5iiawah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Philly 'burbs, PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x2 access cab 2.7l
    I would rather have a loan against an asset that appreciates in value (house) than something that depreciates (vehicle)

4. Jul 21, 2011 at 4:54 PM
    BigJLarse83

BigJLarse83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    06 DC PreRunner TRD Sport
    I see your point, but if push came to shove and you had to walk away from something you had a loan on, would you rather lose your car or your house? Which do you think would hurt you more in the long run?

5. Jul 22, 2011 at 2:12 AM
    o5iiawah

o5iiawah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Philly 'burbs, PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x2 access cab 2.7l
    you can work out a loan modification with your bank on the house. plus, if you did decide to "walk away" it would take almost 1-3 years before they could kick your butt out. With a truck, go 45 days late and the next thing you know, your ride is on Operation Repo.

6. Jul 22, 2011 at 5:49 AM
    FireGuy

FireGuy Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD DCSB
    I'm actually in a similar situation as the OP. My 2nd mortgage is little higher but the interest is at 5.15%. I'm selling my 08 Tundra that I love, to pay off some debt. I plan on starting a family soon and would like no CC debt or 2nd mortgage to worry about! Just sell the truck, you could always buy another Taco used down the road. I'm sure once the 2nd mortgage is paid off and you have no car loan your credit score will also go up. Having no car payment every month is great!

Products Discussed in

To Top