1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sputtering?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ironman_jon, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Jul 18, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    ironman_jon

ironman_jon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Sport
    URD TCAI Wicked Flow 18" 2 10in alpine type r 1500 watt amp MB 72 matte black Custom Bumper Debadged Glassworks fenders McNeil bedsides Helix TB Spacer Intake Manifold Spacer Custom Roof Rack 5x 55w HID SK2 projectors 55w DDM 5k Bulbs Camburg Long Travel Fox Coilovers
    Hey guys I'm having an issue with my truck. heres the info...

Last week I did an typical oil change. No change in the oil but I did use a different filter. I typically use the k&n but this time i went with a Bosch. Anyways after the oil change I put in some Lucas oil fuel treatment into the tank and filled the tank so that is was well mixed in.

Later on in the day I went on a trip to town and the truck started sputtering when I come to a complete stop and attempt to accerate. This has been going on for a week now and its annoying. It only happens when the truck is in gear.

I use 87 octane fuel in my truck. I'm wondering if i got a batch of bad gas? I did see a sign that said 10% ethanol on the pump that i didnt see before. I went out and double checked my work and everything is torqued to specs. The oil level is right. No vaccum lines are disconnected. Could it be my MAF or a bad O2 sensor? Any advice would help.

2. Jul 18, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    ironman_jon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Sport
    URD TCAI Wicked Flow 18" 2 10in alpine type r 1500 watt amp MB 72 matte black Custom Bumper Debadged Glassworks fenders McNeil bedsides Helix TB Spacer Intake Manifold Spacer Custom Roof Rack 5x 55w HID SK2 projectors 55w DDM 5k Bulbs Camburg Long Travel Fox Coilovers
    No advice?

3. Jul 18, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    bajaracer

bajaracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charly
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    05 PRERUNNER DBLCAB SPORT 4.0
    AEM DRY BRUTE FORCE, FLOWMASTER 50 SERIES, 285/70/17 BFG'S AT KO2'S MOTO METALS 17X8 885's with 5100's LOUD STEREO
    Same thing happened on my 01 DC Off Road, I added the Lucas Oil Fuel treatment and 15 miles later my dashboard lit up like a christmas tree. The truck sputtered like crazy, luckily I made it home. I checked my MAF sensor, all other connections, then decided to reset the ECU by DISCONNECTING the battery,,, and everything cleared up, ran perfect once again. Needless to say, never going to use it again.

4. Jul 18, 2011 at 9:35 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    I'd avoid using any of that additive shit , once in a great while it will perform a "fix" usually its just going to mask the real issue or not work at all.

We used to pour ATF down the carb , holding the gas open @ 3k-4k rpm

& just absolutely smoke out the neighborhood, kinda like seafoaming I guess.....:D

But honestly you'll end up replacing an injector if you use that shit long enough I suspect...

5. Jul 18, 2011 at 11:14 PM
    ironman_jon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Sport
    I suspect that it is the Lucas treatment being that have never used anything like that before. I going to run this tank damn near dry the fill up with 91.... I'll also try that battery trick to see if it works

6. Jul 19, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    bajaracer

bajaracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charly
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    05 PRERUNNER DBLCAB SPORT 4.0
    AEM DRY BRUTE FORCE, FLOWMASTER 50 SERIES, 285/70/17 BFG'S AT KO2'S MOTO METALS 17X8 885's with 5100's LOUD STEREO
    Dude, I see you're from Yuma,,,,, I use to live in Somerton. Still have family there an th counties. The incident on my truck occured when i was down there by the Foothills, drove truck like that all the way to the Siera Sands community on 5E. BTW i have the exact same truck, SWB Sport Prerunner, but with chrome rims.

7. Jul 19, 2011 at 4:06 PM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    This was with the Lucas Fuel Additive? :eek:

I've been using that in my truck every once in a while, dad keeps a jug in the garage and we use the small bottles to fill our tanks at the pump. Never a problem in any of our cars, although in my truck I did notice a slight drop in MPG, but who knows could just be the way I was driving.

Anyways, I thought that Lucas stuff was supposed to be good for your engine? LOL.

8. Jul 19, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    ironman_jon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Sport
    This was the first time I use any additive in my truck and the one time I do it messes up. But I'm not sure if that's what it is or not regardless if it is or not I'm not using that Lucas stuff again

Products Discussed in

To Top