Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Finally built the spare tire carrier.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
Finally built the spare tire carrier.

Took off the back rail and replaced it with angle iron, welded on some tabs I made from angle for the lights and C.B. antenna and a couple hinges.

Built the frame and bed bar to support it in the vertical position.

Added support braces and tire tie in.

Still need to paint it but here are some almost completed pics of it.
Down

Up.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

I like it
Old 07-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
Professional Goofball
zul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to behold
zul's Tacoma Gallery
Shit that is a great design. Make me one!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
OOhhhhh I LIKE!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
when does the group buy start?
Old 07-19-2011, 06:13 AM   #7
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
Thank guys, glad y'all like it! I doubt my engineering and welding are good enough to be selling them, still have to see if this one will even hold up!
Old 07-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #8
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ship Serviceman 3rd Class
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
Nicely done... Looks slick.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
That is sick! Gives me ideas... I feel another project coming up. Nice work.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:08 PM   #10

06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
I drilled a couple holes and mounted the Hi-Lift to it. Should have bought some wing nuts but regular ones will work till I find myself at Lowes again.

Up position.

Top View

Down position

Old 07-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #11
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
looks clean!
Old 07-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #12

06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
looks clean!
Thanks! Just hope it holds up.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a general question about tire carries and since you fabbed yours up this way, you might be able to answer it. Why does it seem tire carriers hold the tire at an angle rather than vertical? It seems if the tire were vertical it would leave much more of the bed space available while the angle closes off a good portion of it. Just curious, I ask out of ignorance (my spare is still under the bed )
Old 07-28-2011, 07:44 AM   #14

06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I've got a general question about tire carries and since you fabbed yours up this way, you might be able to answer it. Why does it seem tire carriers hold the tire at an angle rather than vertical? It seems if the tire were vertical it would leave much more of the bed space available while the angle closes off a good portion of it. Just curious, I ask out of ignorance (my spare is still under the bed )
I built it at an angle for a couple reasons. Biggest one probably is looks. If it were vertical it would block the window if it was against the front of the bed. I think it would look goofy if it was vertical on the inside side of the bed. Second reason was it was easier to design something strong enough to hold the tire safety. Laying at an angle it seems to be more stable, but I aint no engineer!
Old 07-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #15
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06rubi View Post
I built it at angle for a couple reasons. Biggest one probably is looks. If it were vertical it would block the window, if it were against the front of the bed. I think it would look goofy if it was vertical on the inside side of the bed. Second reason was it was easier to design something strong enough to hold the tire safety. Laying at an angle it seems to be more stable, but I aint no engineer!
Thanks, I was more curious that anything. I'm still stock sized tires and have no need for an in-bed mount but was curious as to why they're all at an angle. So far Metalmiller's is the only one I've seen that holds the tire vertical.

Nice work by the way!
Old 07-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #16

06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
I had to put it in the bed because I mounted the OBA tank where the spare is supposed to be! Plus I figured it could be a hassle to drop the spare on the trail if I needed change a tire. Thanks for the complement!
Old 07-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #17
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Im a fan, nice work
Old 07-28-2011, 05:38 PM   #18
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
where you get the hinges at. any links
Old 07-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #19
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
Very impressive. I too like the way you can position it so you can still use the full lenght of the bed. Nice!