Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

towing my Tacoma

Old 07-19-2011, 10:58 AM   #21
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jesse
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
FJ's can be towed?
Old 07-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #22
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredstud View Post
FJ's can be towed?
They have a neutral selection for the case. The reason Toyota says don't tow the Taco is because the tranny oil pump is driven off of the engine. If you simply tow it you will burn up the tranny. Since they case of the FJ has a neutral selection the tranny does not spin. Yes transmission parts are still spinning even in neutral.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #23
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
They have a neutral selection for the case. The reason Toyota says don't tow the Taco is because the tranny oil pump is driven off of the engine. If you simply tow it you will burn up the tranny. Since they case of the FJ has a neutral selection the tranny does not spin. Yes transmission parts are still spinning even in neutral.
Just like the Jeep put the transfer case in N but leave the tranny in P
Old 07-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #24
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
I do not think the Tacoma auto trans has a rear pump, which means that it can't be towed any significant distance with the rear tires on the ground. You will destroy the transmission.

And without locking hubs, the front axles will turn...will that turn the front drive shaft? Or does ADD take care of that?
Old 07-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #25
yumacpl is on a distinguished road
yumacpl's Tacoma Gallery
would a drive train disconnect work, or what ever you call them, I know Rv people do this for cars when towing
tried going to our drive train people here in town but they are gone for a month on vacation
SouthWest Drive Train
Yuma,az
Old 07-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #26
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumacpl View Post
would a drive train disconnect work, or what ever you call them, I know Rv people do this for cars when towing
tried going to our drive train people here in town but they are gone for a month on vacation
SouthWest Drive Train
Yuma,az
Since you are insistent on flat towing a truck the owers manual explicity says to not flat tow..... It "could" work, but

1) I don't think there's one available for the Tacoma
2) They are fuck expensive. For the price you can damn near buy a used trailer.
3) You can accomplish the same thing (stop the transmission from moving) by disconnecting the driveshafts from the axles. It's 4 14 MM bolts on each end...not very tricky shit.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #27
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
you can tow it, all you have to do is disconnect the rear drive shaft from the rear differential. Be sure to mark the flanges before hand so you reconnect them in the same spot, and yes put it in neutral. But it is recommended to be towed on a flat bed if you don't disconnect the drive shaft.

And use bailing wire to secure the shaft to the frame, and for extra security, put it on lock and chain too.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #28
yumacpl is on a distinguished road
yumacpl's Tacoma Gallery
THANK EVERY ONE FOR THE INPUT

guess this is just not a good idea.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #31
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Not good to spin the automatic remove the rear drive shaft the front won't make any difference it does the same thing as when you drive it normally.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #32
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Quote:
Nice. I wouldn't do it though. Well I wouldn't without at least removing the DS.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #33
Banned
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
I was all excited when I woke up to seeing the Taco this morning. I havent talked to the people yet but my mom seems to think its two lesbians since she seen two women and their from CA
Old 07-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #34
Banned
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
With me doing more research on this, I found out they make DS disconnect kits so maybe you dont have to take the entire DS out then put it back in ???
Old 07-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #35
Banned
Quote:
I was all excited when I woke up to seeing the Taco this morning. I havent talked to the people yet but my mom seems to think its two lesbians since she seen two women and their from CA
So they are rubbing their tacos together while towing a Taco. Well if they are hot lesbos then cool.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #36
Banned
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
So they are rubbing their tacos together while towing a Taco. Well if they are hot lesbos then cool.
They are older women so if you wanna see cougars in action be my guest
Old 07-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #37
Banned
Quote:
They are older women so if you wanna see cougars in action be my guest
If they are hot lesbos but they aren't so I'll leave it all for you.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #38
Banned
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
I'll pass... Idea: We can give em to Lurry
Old 07-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #39
Banned
Lurry will take anything.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #40
Banned
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
Anything?.......