Notices

towing my Tacoma

Old 07-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
yumacpl is on a distinguished road
yumacpl's Tacoma Gallery
towing my Tacoma

we are thinking about buying a motorhome and would like to tow my Tacoma
07, ACC Cab, 4X4, Auto 5 speed ECT, TRD Off Road, V6 Towing package
I have asked here in town and was told I would not be able to unless I put the Tacoma on a trailer, I really dont want to do that
any one have any experience with this issue
Old 07-19-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
you can put the truck in neutral and the 4*4 in neutral and tow it. It is not as good a solution as on the trailer, but my granddad did his 4*4 rocky like that for 10 years no real issues. He said the car was a throw away anyhow, so every year it made it, was more money in his pocket.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jesse
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen a few 1st gens with RV hookup but I'm not sure on a 2nd gen. Also if its possible to put the 4x4 in neutral you shouldnt have to put the tranny in neutral
Old 07-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlmuncy View Post
you can put the truck in neutral and the 4*4 in neutral and tow it. It is not as good a solution as on the trailer, but my granddad did his 4*4 rocky like that for 10 years no real issues. He said the car was a throw away anyhow, so every year it made it, was more money in his pocket.
There is no "N" for the Front diff in a Taco.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
X2

Also 2 threads about the same thing: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...my-tacoma.html
Old 07-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just went out and looked, and you are correct. So with this I would not advise towing this without it being on a trailer.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Only way you SHOULD do it without a trailer is to drop the driveshafts.
Don't do it any other way.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
Just cuz it doesnt have a neutral 4x4 option doesnt mean it cant be towed. My mom has an 07 Explorer 4x4. Theres a kit made by ford called the "Neutral Tow Kit" which inables it to be towed by an RV. Maybe there's somethin like this for tacos?
Old 07-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredstud View Post
Just cuz it doesnt have a neutral 4x4 option doesnt mean it cant be towed. My mom has an 07 Explorer 4x4. Theres a kit made by ford called the "Neutral Tow Kit" which inables it to be towed by an RV. Maybe there's somethin like this for tacos?
My buddy has it on his 4wd Exploder that he bought from his grandma. She used to tow it behind a RV. I have not seen such a kit for Tacomas.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #10
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well you can also flip it upside down and tow it on skateboards. You still shouldn't.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Well you can also flip it upside down and tow it on skateboards. You still shouldn't.
Lol. Only Birdhouse skateboards though.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
Banned
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
My buddy has it on his 4wd Exploder that he bought from his grandma. She used to tow it behind a RV. I have not seen such a kit for Tacomas.
My moms doesnt have it so we just bought a Jeep
I think it would be a good investment on Toyotas part to make something of the like
Old 07-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #13
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Lol. Only Birdhouse skateboards though.
I was thinking hook-ups, but only cause I like the graphics.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #14
Banned
Quote:
My moms doesnt have it so we just bought a Jeep
I think it would be a good investment on Toyotas part to make something of the like
They do. It is called the FJ cruiser.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #15
Banned
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They do. It is called the FJ cruiser.
Not a vehicle a kit like Fords
Old 07-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #16
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They do, it's just called a FJ Cruiser tow kit. It retails for ~$38,000.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #17
Banned
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They do, it's just called a FJ Cruiser tow kit. It retails for ~$38,000.
I will stick with the $18k Jeep Besides, Idk if the FJ's can be towed
Old 07-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #18
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
I have the kit.
The kit consists of a 14mm socket, a 14mm combination wrench and an unlubricated condom.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #19
Banned
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
I have the kit.
The kit consists of a 14mm socket, a 14mm combination wrench and an unlubricated condom.
I'm not into that kinky shit
Old 07-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #20
Banned
Quote:
I know what you meant. Go to the dealer and ask for the FJ kit. They will take your Taco and pancake it in the car smasher in the back. Then they will sell you a FJ.