1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuel tank reserve?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Taco's for All, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Oct 19, 2008 at 2:13 AM
    Taco's for All

Taco's for All [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake George, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab
    Nothing at the moment
    Does anyone know how many miles I can go if my gas gauge is just barely above the Empty line? I was under the impression my truck had a low fuel light, but that has not come on. I know many cars the light kicks on with about 2 gallons left in the tank. I have a 20 mile drive to work and the closest 24 hour gas station in the morning. I also haven't filled up any lower than 1/4 tank thus far with the truck.

2. Oct 19, 2008 at 2:42 AM
    Radelix

Radelix Runs with Scissors

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    17 trdor dcsb 6mt
    When the light comes on you usually have between 3 and 4 gallons left. I have done a 40 mile drive with the light on so you should be OK

3. Oct 19, 2008 at 4:58 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Wow, you haven't seen the low fuel light come on?

I have a 2007 4.0L Access Cab and my light comes on when the needle is a little under 1/8" from the empty mark (that's pretty far). And according to my Scangauge, that's about 50-60 miles till empty for me.

The best thing you can do is track your MPG (obviously) and take notes on how many gallons you're putting into the truck each time versus the capacity. I believe the capacity is 21 gallons.

I'm not here to promote buying a Scanguage II - but it's a pretty neat tool when it's fine tuned. *Distance to Empty* is nice to have. Not that you should let the level get that low - but sometimes it's very handy.

4. Oct 19, 2008 at 8:17 AM
    Taco's for All

Taco's for All [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake George, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab
    Nothing at the moment
    Great news, I made it to work without a problem. The needle was just barely off the Empty line when the light finally came on. When I got to the gas station, I filled up and it only took 17.5 gallons so apparently it comes on with 4 gallons left. When I got to the gas station and filled up the needle was actually on the Empty line. I guess it's a nice failsafe to have 4 gallons left when the gauge says empty.

5. Oct 19, 2008 at 8:27 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    FWIW, beings as the fuel pumps are in the tank, and they use the gasoline as a cooling medium, its a good idea to fill up around 1/4 tank. Exessive running without enough gasoline in the tank has been known to cause the fuel pumps to burn out prematurely. 3 to 4 gallons of fual in the tank is only a couple of inches in depth. Not really enough to keep the pump propperly cooled. :)

6. Oct 19, 2008 at 12:00 PM
    br217398

br217398 Crazy Person.....

Member:
    Orlando Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra Crew Cab 4WD
    Hornblasters horns,Strobe lights,Police Undercover Vehicle, Volent Ram air system, pro comp POS AAL, biltein all around, step bars.
    i have filled up 21 gallons before.....i was quite nervouse about runnnig out of gas, but the gas light for me was on for 65 miles..... i wouldnt push that too much further.

7. Oct 20, 2008 at 5:51 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    The few times i've actually let my tank get that low the scangauge reported 4.4 gallons at the time the light came on. Scangauge has either been right on telling me how much is left of within .1 when I fill up.

8. Oct 21, 2008 at 11:29 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    The truck has a 21.1 gallon gas tank. Take a can of gas with you (in case you run out) and run it to the empty line. Then fill the truck up with gas. Subtract what you put in from 21.1. That will tell you how much gas you have left. Multiply that by your worst MPG-1 (or assume 14-15 to be safe). That should tell you how far you can go when you reach the line.

9. Oct 21, 2008 at 6:52 PM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    link the stink!
    Sewell, NJ Eh!
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab TRD Off-Road! Magnetic Grey!
    maybe u should do what Kramer did in seinfield, keep on going!! Never Stop!! HAHA

Products Discussed in

To Top