Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fuel tank reserve?

Old 10-19-2008, 02:13 AM   #1
Taco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud of

Law Enforcement:
Taco's for All's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel tank reserve?

Does anyone know how many miles I can go if my gas gauge is just barely above the Empty line? I was under the impression my truck had a low fuel light, but that has not come on. I know many cars the light kicks on with about 2 gallons left in the tank. I have a 20 mile drive to work and the closest 24 hour gas station in the morning. I also haven't filled up any lower than 1/4 tank thus far with the truck.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:42 AM   #2
Runs with Scissors
Radelix has a spectacular aura aboutRadelix has a spectacular aura about

Radelix's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Radelix
When the light comes on you usually have between 3 and 4 gallons left. I have done a 40 mile drive with the light on so you should be OK
Old 10-19-2008, 04:58 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, you haven't seen the low fuel light come on?

I have a 2007 4.0L Access Cab and my light comes on when the needle is a little under 1/8" from the empty mark (that's pretty far). And according to my Scangauge, that's about 50-60 miles till empty for me.

The best thing you can do is track your MPG (obviously) and take notes on how many gallons you're putting into the truck each time versus the capacity. I believe the capacity is 21 gallons.

I'm not here to promote buying a Scanguage II - but it's a pretty neat tool when it's fine tuned. *Distance to Empty* is nice to have. Not that you should let the level get that low - but sometimes it's very handy.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:17 AM   #4
Taco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud of

Law Enforcement:
Taco's for All's Tacoma Gallery
Great news, I made it to work without a problem. The needle was just barely off the Empty line when the light finally came on. When I got to the gas station, I filled up and it only took 17.5 gallons so apparently it comes on with 4 gallons left. When I got to the gas station and filled up the needle was actually on the Empty line. I guess it's a nice failsafe to have 4 gallons left when the gauge says empty.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:27 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW, beings as the fuel pumps are in the tank, and they use the gasoline as a cooling medium, its a good idea to fill up around 1/4 tank. Exessive running without enough gasoline in the tank has been known to cause the fuel pumps to burn out prematurely. 3 to 4 gallons of fual in the tank is only a couple of inches in depth. Not really enough to keep the pump propperly cooled.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
Crazy Person.....
br217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nice
br217398's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to br217398
i have filled up 21 gallons before.....i was quite nervouse about runnnig out of gas, but the gas light for me was on for 65 miles..... i wouldnt push that too much further.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:51 PM   #7
j4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jay
j4x4ar3's Tacoma Gallery
The few times i've actually let my tank get that low the scangauge reported 4.4 gallons at the time the light came on. Scangauge has either been right on telling me how much is left of within .1 when I fill up.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #8
Cleared for Takeoff!!
1BADTACOMA is on a distinguished road

1BADTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 1BADTACOMA
Ya same here. I always fill up when hitting right at 1/4 tank. I do get about 110 miles though until i hit the 3/4 line from F
Old 10-21-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
The truck has a 21.1 gallon gas tank. Take a can of gas with you (in case you run out) and run it to the empty line. Then fill the truck up with gas. Subtract what you put in from 21.1. That will tell you how much gas you have left. Multiply that by your worst MPG-1 (or assume 14-15 to be safe). That should tell you how far you can go when you reach the line.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #10
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
maybe u should do what Kramer did in seinfield, keep on going!! Never Stop!! HAHA