Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Amps for the 12v?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
azchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
azchris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
Anyone know how many amps the 12V stock power hook up in my 2009 Tacoma produces?
Are you talking about the power outlet under the stereo? I'm pretty sure 10A is standard for those.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. I was "googling" and seeing a bunch of results but the range seems to be 10-15. A lot of products ie: compressors require 15. Just wondering what ours is..
Old 07-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
azchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
azchris's Tacoma Gallery
The inside of the cap on my 2011 says "120W Max", which would be 10A @ 12V. Unless the outlet isn't regulated to 12V, it could be a little less since the voltage could swing up to 13V. I haven't tested it with a multimeter.

For compressors, I usually buy the kind that you can clamp right to your battery. It's a lot less of a hassle.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by azchris View Post
The inside of the cap on my 2011 says "120W Max", which would be 10A @ 12V. Unless the outlet isn't regulated to 12V, it could be a little less since the voltage could swing up to 13V. I haven't tested it with a multimeter.

For compressors, I usually buy the kind that you can clamp right to your battery. It's a lot less of a hassle.
Agreed they're just getting hard to find. The Viair 90P is a decent one .. it comes with the alligator clamps to go straight to the battery.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
stretch85 has a spectacular aura aboutstretch85 has a spectacular aura about
stretch85's Tacoma Gallery
The wiring diagram seems to indicate that the 12V accessory outlet is on a 15A fuse; however, it shares its circuit with the cigarette lighter as you might expect. My guess is that the 120W limit on the accessory plug cap takes into account the potential power draw of the cigarette lighter. So, if you can go a few minutes without a smoke it should be possible to draw up to 15A from the accessory outlet.

That's my interpretation, anyway. Someone please call me out if I'm wrong. I'm not an electrician by any measure.

And as for compressors with a direct battery connection, you can pick up an adapter like this one for cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-Batter...dp/B00065L2D8/
Old 08-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
Recklessly tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch85 View Post
The wiring diagram seems to indicate that the 12V accessory outlet is on a 15A fuse; however, it shares its circuit with the cigarette lighter as you might expect. My guess is that the 120W limit on the accessory plug cap takes into account the potential power draw of the cigarette lighter. So, if you can go a few minutes without a smoke it should be possible to draw up to 15A from the accessory outlet.

That's my interpretation, anyway. Someone please call me out if I'm wrong. I'm not an electrician by any measure.

And as for compressors with a direct battery connection, you can pick up an adapter like this one for cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-Batter...dp/B00065L2D8/
Your first post is a wealth of information, thank you.

Products Discussed in this Thread