Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

If it's not one thing, it's another. Rounded diff plug.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #21
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRacer190 View Post
I think I found it. But holy $10 shipping. . .
http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/pr...034118066.html
https://www.toyotapartsbarn.com/toyota-oem-parts.html

Because I absolutely despise my local dealer. . . I would burn the place down if I knew I wouldn't get caught.

I don't think it is big enough. Says up to 19mm iso 24mm
thanks
Old 07-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #22
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Suggest you replace it with a front diff fill plug PN 90341-18066. It has a deeply recessed socket head for a 10 mm allen key. Easier to remove the next time you change the diff fluid, and a smoother surface for the trails.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #23
10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
10851's Tacoma Gallery
jsmarine, That is one hell of a good idea! I have had good success with all of the other suggestions, even welded a nut to a rounded head, but I haven't welded a cheap wrench to a rounded head. I will put that one in memory for the day when all else fails... I guess you need to make sure the wrench has plenty of room to complete a full rotation... several times.. Good Luck mxracer190
Old 07-21-2011, 06:21 AM   #24
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Suggest you replace it with a front diff fill plug PN 90341-18066. It has a deeply recessed socket head for a 10 mm allen key. Easier to remove the next time you change the diff fluid, and a smoother surface for the trails.
actually i'm having the same problem with my front diff plug now. since that area gets the most of all the weather first, its all rusted. i tried removing it with my 10mm, and well now its pretty well rounded out. it sucks.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:27 AM   #25
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Another thing to try is a good sized pipe wrench. I've used this a few times after vice grips wouldn't grab it, as long as you can get the wrench on the bolt head it will grab and turn it.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:43 AM   #26
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
Another thing to try is a good sized pipe wrench. I've used this a few times before after vice grips wouldn't grab it, as long as you can get the wrench on the bolt head it will grab and turn it.
^^^^^^ Took one off pals ford, pipe wrench was the only way and yes dealer on a new one. Jim
Old 07-21-2011, 07:01 AM   #27
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
Another thing to try is a good sized pipe wrench. I've used this a few times after vice grips wouldn't grab it, as long as you can get the wrench on the bolt head it will grab and turn it.
That'll work on a bolt that isn't recessed, like the diff plug.

Tapping a 6 sided 24mm onto the damaged head, after filing off the burrs, is an option.

Cornwell, Snap-on, Mac... Take your pick. They all offer Bolt extractors for 24mm. I only use welding on anything with bearings as a last resort. Ground issues have caused welded bearings in the past.
$22 for a tool, or $$$ for a repaired housing or replacement axle. Hmmm... decisions, decisions
Old 07-21-2011, 07:08 AM   #28
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
i was going to change my diff oil, i got under it and its already rounded off. so i was like great. i will wait for another day lol. i like welding the wrench to the nut idea
Old 07-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #29
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
Well, back from town. Not Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace, Oriely's, or AutoZone had a 24mm or a 15/16 6 point socket. . . Holy wtf. . . I found one 15/16 12 point socket, but I already have one of those. . . I bought a Makita cordless impact today, and I'm goign to try the tranfer case and front diff. I'm just going to take the rear diff somewhere to get done. I'll be picking up a new rear diff plug tomorrow from the deal, and I'm probably going to just let them do the rear diff.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #30
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tried Sears in their Craftsman tools section? Got mine in 1/2" drive so a breaker bar goes on without adapters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danteisme View Post
actually i'm having the same problem with my front diff plug now. since that area gets the most of all the weather first, its all rusted. i tried removing it with my 10mm, and well now its pretty well rounded out. it sucks.
Crap ... Gonna take a look at mine the next time I'm under the truck. Maybe the TRD OR's skid plate reduces the amount of grime thrown onto the front diff.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #31
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Have you tried Sears in their Craftsman tools section? Got mine in 1/2" drive so a breaker bar goes on without adapters.

Crap ... Gonna take a look at mine the next time I'm under the truck. Maybe the TRD OR's skid plate reduces the amount of grime thrown onto the front diff.
yeah it sucks. it was fine the first time i changed the fluid, now....not so much.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #32
jester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jester156's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to jester156
I had the same problem on my older Tacoma transfer case plug. Rounded it all to hell, nothing would break it loose. i finally took the grinder to it, once everything was ground smooth, it back itself right out. I even tried to drill and use a bolt out kit, that didn't even work.

I did have another plug on hand from the dealer, I dont remember the price but it was cheaper than a new case.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #33
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
You guys know that if you can not remove fill plug you can always refill diff through the breather, right
Old 07-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #34
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well, the replacement plug is supposed to be here tomorrow. I went today and bought an impact/drill combo kit form Home Depot (18v Makita cordless) . I was fed up with not having the right tools, so I spent a little money today lol. I got the front diff/transfer done just now, and will try the rear diff again tomorrow when the replacement gets here. Idk what that smell is in the diff oil, but I don't want to smell it for a long time. . . mother damn.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #35
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^ Yeah, it's the same smell as CV grease. Synthetic diff fluid has it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
You guys know that if you can not remove fill plug you can always refill diff through the breather, right
That's good idea. May even have greater clearance for the bottle for faster filling. Just need to be precise with the volume to avoid overfilling (measuring cup or graduated cyl). I'll do it next time and do the breather extension mod at the same time.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #36
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRacer190 View Post
Well, the replacement plug is supposed to be here tomorrow. I went today and bought an impact/drill combo kit form Home Depot (18v Makita cordless) . I was fed up with not having the right tools, so I spent a little money today lol. I got the front diff/transfer done just now, and will try the rear diff again tomorrow when the replacement gets here. Idk what that smell is in the diff oil, but I don't want to smell it for a long time. . . mother damn.
Yeah, gear oil smells like serious dinosaur ass.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #37
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Heat and a pipe wrench ...or it ain't tight.

Mapgas is all you should need.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #38
2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of

2009Silver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
12 point sockets might as well be advertised as "hex head grinders".
LOL yep! I lol'd!
Old 07-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #39
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
The smell is sulfur. It's the additive that provides the best protection for gear drives, as long as there's no yellow metals(it attacks them).
Impact sockets are usually 6point. It fits in the recess for the rear diff, I just checked. Make sure you use a piece of wood or brass drift between the socket and hammer, or you'll deform your socket.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #40

FINALLY GOT IT! WOOOOT! Brand new shiny fill plug

I finally found a 15/16 6-point socket. I beat it on the plug with a hammer anda block of wood, and attached my Makita Impact, and it didn't budge. Finally got it loose with a breaker bar. IT DIDN'T BEAT ME!

Products Discussed in this Thread