Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

If it's not one thing, it's another. Rounded diff plug.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down If it's not one thing, it's another. Rounded diff plug.

So I'm prying on my rear diff fill plug to change my fluid, when SLIP there goes the nut. Rounded off like a motherf*cker. . . I even drove 30 minutes to buy a 24mm socket cause I didn't have one, and I let it soak in pb blaster for about an hour. . . Wtf do I do now? I'm just really bummed atm. . .
Old 07-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Okay thanks. Will it not damage the interior threads if I beat it with a mallet and screwdriver?
Old 07-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Since there isn't a whole lot of room under there to swing a hammer you might try cutting a deep notch at around the 3 o'clock position, then place chisel or something simalar against the notch and a bottle jack on the other end.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRacer190 View Post
Okay thanks. Will it not damage the interior threads if I beat it with a mallet and screwdriver?
Don't wail on it. Tap it. Or, get the appropriate sized bolt extractor: http://www.cornwelltools.com/webcat/...Bolt-Extractor

Tapping the bolt head and alternately hitting the flat around might work too.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Lots of options-Drill it, notch it, keep trying- but make sure you have a proper replacement plug before you try anything.
Where can I get a replacement? Do I have to go to the dealer? I've been searching, and see some folks getting Marlin replacements, but no luck finding part numbers/sites selling diff replacement bolts.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #8
baja820 is a splendid one to beholdbaja820 is a splendid one to beholdbaja820 is a splendid one to beholdbaja820 is a splendid one to beholdbaja820 is a splendid one to beholdbaja820 is a splendid one to beholdbaja820 is a splendid one to behold

baja820's Tacoma Gallery
Six sided 15/16 socket. It feels tighter I'm super paranoid about stripping bolt heads off. If there is any slop at all with the socket I find a suitable alternative. Good luck with it man.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #9
baja820 is a splendid one to beholdbaja820 is a splendid one to beholdbaja820 is a splendid one to beholdbaja820 is a splendid one to beholdbaja820 is a splendid one to beholdbaja820 is a splendid one to beholdbaja820 is a splendid one to behold

baja820's Tacoma Gallery
Also can you get some vice grips clamped on it?
Old 07-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja820 View Post
Six sided 15/16 socket. It feels tighter I'm super paranoid about stripping bolt heads off. If there is any slop at all with the socket I find a suitable alternative. Good luck with it man.
Actually, I tried a 15/16 before I went to the store. It felt the same as the 24mm. They are both 12 sided though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja820 View Post
Also can you get some vice grips clamped on it?
I'll try that tomorrow. I wish i had a damn impact/compressor.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
12 point sockets might as well be advertised as "hex head grinders".
Old 07-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #12

baja820's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Ha,ha no shit! I hate 12 point sockets.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #13
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Yes, they are shit for anything with narrow flats or that has been on forever.

But you could go the Krazie route and use needle-nose vice grips.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #14
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
When you find a replacement, please post where you get it from.... I have to change my diff fluid in the next week or so...

Good luck
Old 07-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #15
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Why not the dealer?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #17
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Kind of late now, but a trick I learned long ago is to give those plugs a clip with a hammer before trying to turn it. Just hit the head square with the hammer and they normally come loose.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #18
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
six point 15/16
Old 07-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #19
jsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 6th Motor Transport Battalion
Name: Jeff
jsmarine's Tacoma Gallery
Weld a cheap wrench (harbor freight) onto the head of the bolt, (just a couple of good tack welds should do) and that should help you get it off. Just make sure you have a new bolt ready after-wards.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
When you find a replacement, please post where you get it from.... I have to change my diff fluid in the next week or so...

Good luck
I think I found it. But holy $10 shipping. . .
http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/pr...034118066.html
https://www.toyotapartsbarn.com/toyota-oem-parts.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Why not the dealer?
Because I absolutely despise my local dealer. . . I would burn the place down if I knew I wouldn't get caught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung View Post
I don't think it is big enough. Says up to 19mm iso 24mm

Products Discussed in this Thread