Another center console and glove box LED mod

Old 07-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
FY01CPO is on a distinguished road

Navy: Machinist's Mate
Name: Jeremy
FY01CPO's Tacoma Gallery
Another center console and glove box LED mod

So I used the fine info from these threads:

(Center Console/ Glove Box Light (auto on/off when opened)

My Footwell/cupholder interior accent led project (AKA Fighter Pilot Cockpit Mod)

05+ Interior Accent Lighting Install

and did a little bit of changing it up as far as tapping power. For the white LEDs, I tapped in to the power line that goes to the LED for the gear shift instead of behind the A/C controls. I used that line for my footwell and cup holder area lights. Either way, it doesn't make much difference. I am extremely pleased with the outcome. I put 2A fuses in the mini fuse holders and I got everything I needed from Radio Shack. It really wasn't hard at all to do. I don't have pictures of the install as the pictures in the other threads are what I did.

I also put the LED for the cup holder area above it so I can see stuff down there a lot easier. I also have a different cup holder set up than the other posts I saw on this mod.

I did put a twist on where I mounted the lights and they do not affect me at all as I don't really open my console or glove box while driving. The night shots are not very telling but the footwells have a nice, soft amber glow and the cup holder area is really nice and visible.

Enjoy!

Old 07-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice. What is behind that panel where you mounted the glove box lights? (I only ask because of the proximity to the pass. airbag.)
Old 07-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #3

FY01CPO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Very nice. What is behind that panel where you mounted the glove box lights? (I only ask because of the proximity to the pass. airbag.)
There is actually quite a bit of room behind it. There is some ducting for the cabin air and the recirc along with the airbag stuff. I was actually surprised how small the air bag pack was compared to the space it blows up to.

There was some electric/electronic device clipped onto the back of the glove box cover you have to pull off but it is about double the thickness of a domino and posed no issue with installing the lights. In hindsight, I could have taken pics of it and the space behind the panel since the other posts don't show it too well. I'd say there was about 1.5-3" of space behind the panel.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #4

FY01CPO's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, and the airbag pack is about 6" or so higher up in there. Completely out of the way. When I was taking the panel off, I braced my self for an airbag explosion since I was a little unsure about it myself. I'd say the pack is roughly the size of a sandwich. Maybe a little thicker.

And thanks for liking it!
Old 07-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
nice,i like the switch on the center console lid
Old 07-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #6

FY01CPO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGM View Post
nice,i like the switch on the center console lid
Thanks. They were both pretty easy to install. You can see the one for the glovebox in the daytime picture of it. Right over to the left. I may paint mine black if the white & silver colors bug me though.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
westexaskidd is on a distinguished road
Name: Dennis
westexaskidd's Tacoma Gallery
That's sharp, now you have me thinking about it.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #8

FY01CPO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by westexaskidd View Post
That's sharp, now you have me thinking about it.
Do it! Welcome to the forum, BTW!!! Show us some pics of your truck in the new members forum.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
How did you get the LED in under the AC controls? did you have to remove the center console?
Old 11-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #11

FY01CPO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4C0CH40S View Post
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...My_Taco101.jpg
is that a head and shoulders bottle? lol sweet mod tho, i like the idea of leds in the center console
LOL. It's lotion for the motion. HAHA.

I love the LEDs in there especially since it is dark when I go to work and dark when I come home now that winter is here.