Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4wd on Dry Pavement??

View Poll Results: For a 2011 Tacoma can you use H4 on dry pavement?
Yes, it's OK. 40 19.05%
No, it will damage the Tacoma. 142 67.62%
I don't know. 28 13.33%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2011, 11:28 PM   #21
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATriplett513 View Post
But 2wd is just as good as 4wd anyway, right?
You must be new here
Old 07-20-2011, 11:28 PM   #22
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
At the mall yes.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #23
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Old 07-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #24
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's like saying a chromey Offroad is as good as a nice colour matched scooped Sport
Old 07-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #25
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
That's like saying a chromey Offroad is as good as a nice colour matched scooped Sport
ATRAC!!!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:37 PM   #26

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
ATRAC!!!
Right you are , my mistake

That's like saying a Chromey 2wd Offroad with ATRAC is as good as a sweet colour matched scooped 4wd Sport
Old 07-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #27
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Quote:
Right you are , my mistake

That's like saying a Chromey 2wd Offroad with ATRAC is as good as a sweet colour matched scooped 4wd Sport
You can't see over the scoop so you won't know where you're going. Offroad>Sport
Old 07-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #28

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmok View Post
You can't see over the scoop so you won't know where you're going. Offroad>Sport
I'm not a midget , dwarf or circus freak , seeing over the hood is not a problem .

FYI , I don't look THROUGH the steering wheel either
Old 07-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #29
ATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud of
Army:
ATriplett513's Tacoma Gallery
I was just kidding...take a look at my first post in the thread. The day I die is the day I agree that 2wd is as good as 4wd, for the record.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #30

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was just kidding...take a look at my first post in the thread. The day I die is the day I agree that 2wd is as good as 4wd, for the record.
Too late
Old 07-20-2011, 11:43 PM   #31
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailMoose View Post
It's not that I want to do it.
I'm more concerned with forgetting to turn it off...

There are so many cautions in the manual not to do this or that.
I just thought it odd that they wouldn't caution you about this if you shouldn't do it. So I asked them the question.

I thought my last email to them stated my concern clearly:

But then I didn't get the answer I was expecting.
You won't forget... (maybe) There is an indicator light and the first time you make a turn, you will feel the resistance (some call 'binding')... You won't break anything if you do pop onto the highway while still in 4WD... I have done it on accident... nothing broke.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:44 PM   #32
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm not a midget , dwarf or circus freak , seeing over the hood is not a problem .

FYI , I don't look THROUGH the steering wheel either
LIES!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #33

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmok View Post
LIES!
OK

You are right

I sit on a phone book and have wooden blocks tied to my shoes to reach the pedals

How else can anyone see over the hood scoop ?
Old 07-20-2011, 11:51 PM   #34
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OK

You are right

I sit on a phone book and have wooden blocks tied to my shoes to reach the pedals

That is the only way. Once you do that wodden block-phone book mod the sport becomes superior to the offroad. Although the offroad has the almighty elocker grenade diff that is highly sought after.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:58 PM   #35
Banned
Quote:
OK

You are right

Short round?
Old 07-21-2011, 12:02 AM   #36

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Short round?
Indy Indy !!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 12:06 AM   #37
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailMoose View Post
So one day last month I decided to try to read the entire owners manual for my new 2011 Tacoma.

I expected to see something telling me not to use 4wd on dry pavement, but I didn't see it for just switching to H4.

So I went to toyota.com and clicked on Email Toyota and asked about it.

This is the response I got:

I've read alot about not using 4wd on dry pavement on the forum, so this is not what I expected.

Not that I have any reason to do it, and I don't plan to try it out to see if they're right.

Did I get bad information, or has something changed for the newer Tacoma's (mine's a 2011)?

Yes you got bad info. Check out what the University of Toyota has to say about your part time 4wd on the 4wd basic tab.
http://www.majormedia2.com/4WDSimplifiedv5/4WD.html

Old 07-21-2011, 12:18 AM   #38
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ Very cool link. Thank you.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:40 AM   #39
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
^^^ Very cool link. Thank you.
Your welcome.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:54 AM   #40
Banned
That same link is in my sig. Just shows how many click on my links.