Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4wd on Dry Pavement??

View Poll Results: For a 2011 Tacoma can you use H4 on dry pavement?
Yes, it's OK. 40 19.05%
No, it will damage the Tacoma. 142 67.62%
I don't know. 28 13.33%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #101
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post

On a side note , do you count by kicking your foot on the floor ?

You never answered me Mr Ed ^^^^^
Old 07-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #102
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What's a Goonie ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The Goonies, a group of friends living in the "Goon Docks" neighborhood of Astoria, Oregon
Ya know. Like a Boonie. Living in the Boon Docks. Sittin' at the dock of the bay. Watching the ship come in. Then they watch 'em roll away again. Sittin' at the dock of the bay, Wastin' tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #104
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You never answered me Mr Ed ^^^^^
Heck, he hasn't answered me either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Okay you totally lost me here.

Where does the oil on the roads come from?????????????
*shrugs*
Old 07-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #105
Crashmo will become famous soon enough

Name: Captain Dude
Crashmo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Even while offroading on hard rock/dirt and in the winter on dry snow you can get binding if you make sharp turns (like what you might do when parking in a tight spot.) I've had it happen and learned to just make my turns more gradual anytime I have the 4WD engaged. LIke you mentioned driving on dry pavement is just asking for problems...I wouldn't even do it going straight. Read the links below...
Thinking about engaging 4WD on pavement? Think again...
http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/axle-wind-up.html
http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnpart.html
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/four-w....htm/printable

Pay Attention!

Toyota even has a demo on their website, (I can't remember now how I found it) on part time 4wd vs AWD.

My '03 caught fire and melted to the ground after running about 8-10 miles on WET pavement in 4wd. All evidence burned, but don't rule this out. My research is that I am one of the very few to have a Tacoma burn for dubious reasons.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #106
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashmo View Post

Toyota even has a demo on their website, (I can't remember now how I found it) on part time 4wd vs AWD.
It's been linked twice in this thread already
Old 07-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #107
Dustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Dustyroades's Tacoma Gallery
Am I the only one who thinks it's ironic that:
a) Toyota does not mention anywhere in the owner's manual or on the visor that you should not drive in 4wd on pavement
b) They recommend driving 10 miles a month in 4wd without indicating how to do this properly

So are Toyota engineers really stupid or do their technical writers suck?
Old 07-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #108

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroades View Post
Am I the only one who thinks it's ironic that:
a) Toyota does not mention anywhere in the owner's manual or on the visor that you should not drive in 4wd on pavement
b) They recommend driving 10 miles a month in 4wd without indicating how to do this properly

So are Toyota engineers really stupid or do their technical writers suck?
The manual sucks
Old 07-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #109
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02

Adaptive Transform Acoustic Coding (ATRAC) is a family of proprietary audio compression algorithms developed by Sony. MiniDisc was the first commercial product to incorporate ATRAC in 1992. ATRAC allowed a relatively small disc like MiniDisc to have the same running time as CD while storing audio information with minimal loss in perceptible quality. Improvements to the codec in the form of ATRAC3, ATRAC3plus and ATRAC Advanced Lossless followed in 1999, 2002 and 2006 respectively.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATRAC

Old 07-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #110
BoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
BoostingMS6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
I'll check it again tomorrow but as far as I know the little card in my visor says come to a complete stop, shift into N, then shift into 4hi, or 4lo. It would be nice to find out that i'm wrong though... Sorry for the thread!
I've got a '95.5 4x4 stick with manual hubs. You can shift from 2WD to H4 no problem while moving. You can even go from H4 to L4 while moving (though I don't).

The card in the visor says:

"H2" --> "H4": Keep vehicle speed below 50 mph... in cold weather or if shifting is hard, reduce speed or stop vehicle and try shifting again.

"H4" --> "L4": Depress clutch pedal. Stop vehicle, or keep below 5MPH.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #111
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Donuts in 4HI on dry pavement for the win. Feel the Bind..its addicting
Old 07-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #112
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
Donuts in 4HI on dry pavement for the win. Feel the Bind..its addicting
Dude you too? I usually find a parking lot full of children, shift into 4wd, turn to full lock and neutral drop that bitch. The kids love it and it is good for my truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar6nX...e_gdata_player

Sorry about the ali baba text and German techno.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #113
TheGreekIndian is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
TheGreekIndian's Tacoma Gallery
So how am I suppose to drive these 10 miles a month to keep everything lubed up if I can't drive 4hi on the payment?
Old 07-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #114
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreekIndian View Post
So how am I suppose to drive these 10 miles a month to keep everything lubed up if I can't drive 4hi on the payment?
Find a long straight street. Pop it into 4hi and go. If you need to turn shift into 2wd. Problem solved.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #115
Sleeper 4x4
Super Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Super Werty's Tacoma Gallery
4wd on really sticky pavement...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lxYtHKcyfc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkL7JXS6Q6I
Old 07-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #117
atavuss is on a distinguished road
atavuss's Tacoma Gallery
I drove my 09 double cab TRD 4x4 for over 100 miles on dry pavement when I forgot to take it out of 4HI with no problems so far.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #118

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by atavuss View Post
I drove my 09 double cab TRD 4x4 for over 100 miles on dry pavement when I forgot to take it out of 4HI with no problems so far.
You didn't notice ?
Old 07-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #119
Banned
After a trail run I take a minute to examine all 5 million of my buttons and knobs. Also you can hear and feel a difference when you are in 4wd.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #120
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
After a trail run I take a minute to examine all 5 million of my buttons and knobs. Also you can hear and feel a difference when you are in 4wd.
Very good point!! I came out of a trail a while back and completly spaced out...went about a 1/4 mile on pavement in 4WD. I didn't realize I was still in 4HI until I saw the light on the dash. Luckly I only made a few wide turns...never had any binding issues thank god. I haven't slept well since...