Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4wd on Dry Pavement??

View Poll Results: For a 2011 Tacoma can you use H4 on dry pavement?
Yes, it's OK. 40 19.05%
No, it will damage the Tacoma. 142 67.62%
I don't know. 28 13.33%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
TrailMoose is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
TrailMoose's Tacoma Gallery
4wd on Dry Pavement??

So one day last month I decided to try to read the entire owners manual for my new 2011 Tacoma.

I expected to see something telling me not to use 4wd on dry pavement, but I didn't see it for just switching to H4.

So I went to toyota.com and clicked on Email Toyota and asked about it.

This is the response I got:
Quote:
The main distinction is the use of L4 versus H4.

With H4, there is no concern with driving (or shifting) on dry pavement. Though the vehicle should be below 62 MPH prior to shifting to H4.

With L4 however, the vehicle must be stopped with no wheel slippage prior to shifting into L4, and L4 is not designed nor intended for use on dry pavement.
I've read alot about not using 4wd on dry pavement on the forum, so this is not what I expected.

Not that I have any reason to do it, and I don't plan to try it out to see if they're right.

Did I get bad information, or has something changed for the newer Tacoma's (mine's a 2011)?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
jaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jaw154's Tacoma Gallery
Its okay to go strait on pavement. Just dont turn sharp or anything. But it would be best to not use it on pavement at all, unless there is snow on the road
Old 07-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think whoever sent you that response understood your question
Old 07-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
somebody in india probably answered that email lol

dont use 4hi on dry pavement. 4lo is the same as 4h just lower gearing...
Old 07-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
BoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
BoostingMS6's Tacoma Gallery
Avoid it at all costs!

Edit: Your poll is a bit ambiguous. There's a difference between driving straight on dry pavement and actually DRIVING on dry pavement.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
It is ok as long as you know what you are doing. Don't make hard turns while on pavement even if it is wet and don't use it for an extended period of time even if you are going straight on pavement. Don't do it at all if you don't rotate your tires regularly.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:40 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
why would you want to is my question?

and to answer your question i would not do it ever only off road or in the snow or something really slippery otherwise you can and probably expect a nice little dose of binding..
I do when I drag race. One tire fire down the track is not good for track times. Also sometimes I can't make it to trail and I like to follow the 10 miles a month schedule. I drive down the nice, long street down the way from my house.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #11
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
Floor it!!! hell Yea Then go fix it....... Realy I'm kidding .. No. ..fix could be a cool thing
Old 07-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #13
ATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud of
Army:
ATriplett513's Tacoma Gallery
I know others have said it already, but there is no reason to use 4wd on dry pavement; there are not any low-traction issues with dry asphalt (that's kind of the point of paving a road in the first place).

That being said, if you were to drive on dry pavement in 4wd, going in a straight line will not cause any issues. The issues that may put a strain on your system are in the turns. Normally the front wheels are simply pushed through a turn by the rear wheels, moving at 2 different speeds as there is an outside and inside wheel. In a turn, all the wheels will turn at different speeds and when all 4 of the wheels are being powered that will just put unneeded strain on your front axle, transfer case and system as a whole.

Hopefully that answers your question if you're willing to read it
Old 07-20-2011, 10:45 PM   #14
Dang liberals.
tacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomaprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
All good information, but consider this as well: 4x4 is helpful when removing stumps/bushes/basketball goal posts/etc. Occasionally this has to be done on dry pavement.

Like people have said before me, why use it when you don't need to?

If the pavement is dry, you don't need it in the first place (see above for exceptions).

You're not gonna hurt anything by throwing in in 4 wheel for a short amount of time.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #15
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
4WD is 'double traction'... Do you need to double your traction on dry pavement? Of course not, otherwise all cars would be 4WD.

You will notice steering, specially at slow speeds as in parking, is much more difficult in 4WD on any non-slip surface... Even off pavement it is sometimes necessary to pop into 2WD to turn tightly if the surface is firm.

Finally, your fuel mileage drops greatly in 4WD... So why use it if you don't need it?

Off highway, sure... lube up the parts... rainy weather on pavement is also okay as you have slippage... but with TRAC and VSC on the newer trucks, you don't need the 4WD during rain.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #16
Banned
Oh and before anyone says "Well AWD cars are 4wd" that is true but they are not the same. The major difference is that AWD(full time 4wd) vehicles have a diff in the transfer case that allows the front a rear wheels to turn at different speeds when turning. Part time 4wd vehicles don't have this center diff hence the name "part time."
Old 07-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #17
TrailMoose is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
TrailMoose's Tacoma Gallery
It's not that I want to do it.
I'm more concerned with forgetting to turn it off...

There are so many cautions in the manual not to do this or that.
I just thought it odd that they wouldn't caution you about this if you shouldn't do it. So I asked them the question.

I thought my last email to them stated my concern clearly:
Quote:
The concern is that using 4wd on dry pavement will damage the 4wd system.
But then I didn't get the answer I was expecting.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:06 PM   #18
Dang liberals.
tacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomaprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailMoose View Post
I'm more concerned with forgetting to turn it off...
You should realize real damn quick if you have it engaged.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #19
Banned
If you end up driving on plasti-dip you need to use 4wd since it isn't a permanent surface. It could give away at any time.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #20
ATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud of
Army:
ATriplett513's Tacoma Gallery
But 2wd is just as good as 4wd anyway, right?