1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brakes went out on my truck!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoTabe, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Jul 21, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    puckstopper55

puckstopper55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    '11 Double Cab TRD Sport, Mag Grey
    tailgate anti-theft Map Light LED's Dome Light LED LP LED Halogen Bed Light Extra D-Rings in bed Anytime Fog Lights Tri-Fold tonnau cover Wet Ok's

You dont want the brakes to lock up, which is what would happen if I (or anyone else) does this. I guess downshifting is the best bet, unless you need to stop instantly.

2. Jul 21, 2011 at 11:13 AM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    lawsuit

3. Jul 21, 2011 at 11:30 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Only if you're going REALLY slow on a level surface. The parking brake engages hard and suddenly, so the rear brakes just go from unbraked to locked. And then the pedal is locked down, and you have to kick it again to release.

I tested it (to see how well it would work as an emergency brake), and the answer was basically "don't use it". I would hate to lock up the rear brakes and lose all directional control.

At least with the vehicles that have a release lever, you could reach down, pull up on the release lever, and then push on the e-brake pedal and modulate the brake pressure to come to a stop. This click-click ratchet system makes the brake totally unusable in an emergency.

4. Jul 21, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    neoflex

neoflex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Unfortunately, almost every manufacturer nowadays is like this and this is why I always try and befriend at least one service writer at the dealership. When you do shit actually gets done correctly as opposed to the 6 other guys there that act like the OPs service writer. Hell when I brought my truck in for the blower motor the mechanic said he would replace the felt inside, my service writer told him BS your ordering a whole new motor. No BS as the conversation happened right in front of me. Had that been me I would have asked to speak with his boss and if his superior continued to be an ass hat I would have asked them to sign on dealership letter head that they feel my truck was safe to drive. This way when and if I did crash due to the same problem I could sue the living shit out of them. Chances are they would not do that and than take your issue a little more seriously. With the dealers you have to screw with them at their own game otherwise they will try and weasel out of taking responsibility. I used to have to deal with this crap with my old Jeep and Honda. When we first got the 4Runner the dealerships service dept blew so I went to their competitor and since than going in for service is a pleasure. Hell my old service writer would let me take his personal vehicle for the day if I was in a jam and I needed wheels. Still pissed he's gone.

5. Jul 21, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    prerunner32

prerunner32 TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Foothill Ranch
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner TRD Sport Longbed
    285/70/17 BFG A/T's, 17in Method Double Standard Wheels, Camburg 2.5 Coilovers, Alpine Head Unit, Infinity Speakers, 10" JL Audio Sub, 2 Rockford Fosgate Amps, AFe Stage 2 Si (Oiled)
    You say this happened a few years ago? When exactly? I also have a 99 Silverado that this is happening exactly. I was going to get a new module but costs a boat load! Any more in depth on fixing this problem and if it can be done by someone with a wire wheel at home? :)

Im trying to sell my truck as we speak, and this problem is deffinetly not helping. More I sell my truck for = more I can put into my new tacoma = more pics = awesomeness!

6. Jul 21, 2011 at 1:06 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    there's actually a DIY for disabling the ABS with a switch. I've gotta do this before winter time

7. Jul 21, 2011 at 1:15 PM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Fleshlight and an old Farrah Fawcett poster.
    PM sent.

8. Jul 21, 2011 at 6:39 PM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The damage on your truck isn't too bad is it? :(

Anyways, when your brakes go out, isn't that what the Emergency Brake is for? I've never really tried stopping on just pushing the parking brake alone though so i don't know how that will turn out...

well nevermind then...lol i didn't read.

Sooo, so much for an "Emergency" brake.

9. Jul 22, 2011 at 12:22 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Well, I guess I know what my next mod is going to be...

images_2e4a821a559aa3c5e9b4aeb0bb7303a8584bcd6a.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top