Notices

Wind noise from in channel window visors

Old 07-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
thedude is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Lucas
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
Wind noise from in channel window visors

I installed Stampede brand in channel window visors last week. The reason I chose Stampede is because they were the only ones I could find that came in clear. I paint matched them super white to match my truck. The only problem I have is I'm getting a lot of wind noise now. Anybody had this problem or know how to fix it. The main disadvantage I've noticed with these over the EGR/Weathertechs is the front visors use 3M tape instead of "snapping" in. So if I want to replace them it's going to be a pita now getting them out. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
They come right off even with the 3M tape.My AVS visors were already on when I had my windows tinted.Dude took them right off,tinted the windows.When the tint was set and I could roll the windows down I put them back on with the same tape.The heat from the sun made the tape stick as good as new.No wind noise.What difference did it make if they were clear or not if you were painting them?
Old 07-22-2011, 05:16 AM   #3
Air Force:
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
I painted the inside of them so I wouldn't have to worry about chips. I painted my bug deflector as well. They turned out great except for the wind noise. You notice any noise from yours?
Old 07-22-2011, 05:29 AM   #4
What we don't have we make.
Norcan is on a distinguished road

Name: Jerry
Norcan's Tacoma Gallery
I had the weathertech's on mine. The fit was good but there was some wind noise on the fronts. But the rear ones made a fair bit of noise. I took them off yesterday. I think if the tape was along the entire edge it would help. I also found it was a pain to was and dry the top of the windows. I don't think I will put them back on. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:04 AM   #5
Air Force:
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
I'm debating taking mine off too. If it was real minor wind noise I might live with it, but it's noticeable. I heard good things about the EGR visors, wonder if wind noise is ok with them.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
Dred777 will become famous soon enough

Name: Ed
Dred777's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Trail FX visors and was getting quite a bit of wind noise as well and was considering taking the back ones out. Unfortunately the decision was made for me when I went through one of those touchless car washes with the blowers. Blew it right off and broke it.

Less wind noise but still get a little from the front ones.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
horwitzs's Tacoma Gallery
Mine are Weathertech.
I notice very minor wind noise from the driver door visor, but usually can't hear it unless I have the radio off.
If I am driving through very strong crosswinds it sometimes is a little louder.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Wind noise

I have EGR in-channel on my Taco and on my Ram 2500.......no noise. It's great driving with the windows down about 1". Plenty of clean air without disturbing the hair on the Minister of Finance
Old 07-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by horwitzs View Post
Mine are Weathertech.
I notice very minor wind noise from the driver door visor, but usually can't hear it unless I have the radio off.
If I am driving through very strong crosswinds it sometimes is a little louder.
The noise you get during a crosswind might be caused by the windshield seal...it happens with my truck doing around 70mph and is well documented here on TW. I believe there's a TSB fix for it.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #11
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
horwitzs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
The noise you get during a crosswind might be caused by the windshield seal...it happens with my truck doing around 70mph and is well documented here on TW. I believe there's a TSB fix for it.
Ah, good tip... thanks.
I'll prob just live with it. I am used to dealing with a lot of wind (I build windfarms).
My bigger concern is usually watching how I park so I don't slam my hinges.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #12
daggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nice
daggertats's Tacoma Gallery
egr in channels here and no wind noise...i had avs in channels on another truck(not a toyota) and the passenger one made noise unless window was rolled up just right
Old 07-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #13
Boilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really nice

Name: Brian
Boilerman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
I've had the EGR in-channel visors for a few years now and never noticed any wind noise.
X2
Old 07-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #14
Air Force:
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. I decided today I'm taking mine off. Pisses me off I spent the money and time to paint them, but o well. Not sure If I'll get EGR or just go without.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #15
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
lol very noisey
Old 08-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #16
Air Force:
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingman View Post
They come right off even with the 3M tape.My AVS visors were already on when I had my windows tinted.Dude took them right off,tinted the windows.When the tint was set and I could roll the windows down I put them back on with the same tape.The heat from the sun made the tape stick as good as new.No wind noise.What difference did it make if they were clear or not if you were painting them?
Man I tried getting these off a couple of days ago. They are stuck on pretty damn good. I didn't try very long but I couldn't get them off. I'll re attack when the temp falls below 105 But mine sure didn't come right off. Maybe because the tape is new and not older? Might try a blow dryer to loosen it up or WD-40
Old 08-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #17
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
I have some from EBAY and they work great. I actually believe my truck is a little quieter with them on. And its nice to be able to leave windows cracked a bit. Nad best of all I onle paid $31.00 for them.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #18
They are more like guide lines.
sloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nice

sloppyjoe's Tacoma Gallery
I have the AVS brand and they are very well made, the only thing I can say bad about them is, there must have been a small piece of plastic sticking off from production because the first time I rolled the passenger window down (after the 24 hour period) the window snagged the shade on the way up causing it to crack. I just snipped off the part the cracked and its all good but that is the only negative I can give about them. I paid like $65 for them and the work very well and I have not noticed any wind noise for better or worse after installing them.