Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Why is my Engine shaking in idle?

Old 07-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
chicagocontractor is on a distinguished road

Name: Jon
chicagocontractor's Tacoma Gallery
Why is my Engine shaking in idle?

When im idling my engine shakes the entire truck.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
coil pack/spark plug
Old 07-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
When was the last time you changed the spark plugs?
Old 07-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #4

manual says its due at 100k im at about 68k right now.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
ICEMAN is on a distinguished road

Navy: Aircrew C-130T Loadmaster
Name: Eric
ICEMAN's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 2000 Lexus LX470 before my taco and i had the same thing. It was the ignition coil(sits right ontop of the spark plug) you can fix it yourself just go to an auto zone or some place that will read your codes and it should tell you the cylinder, find out the firing order(google it) Its idling really rough and then when you get on the gas you dont notice it right? do you have a check engine light at all?
Old 07-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #6

ICEMAN's Tacoma Gallery
sorry i just re read all of your post, I also replaced all the plugs before i did all this and it didnt help. my truck had like 160k on it though. but i shit one and then two months later i shit another one the first one i took to the dealer (stupid)it cost $400 granted they rape you when you own a lex. the second i did myself $125 for the coil and about 40 min of work if that
Old 07-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #7

ICEMAN's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,carc...tion_Coil.html
heres a link DENSO is the OEM part the dealer would use on here its $65 might be able to find it cheaper somewhere else
Old 07-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #8

only light i have on is the tire pressure light, think one of the sensors maybe broken. thanks for the advice. If i have a weekend off then ill do it my self. cant afford to miss work, so i'm a little hesitant on working on my truck.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocontractor View Post
manual says its due at 100k im at about 68k right now. My mechanic says he would replace them for 165, is that a fair price for a 4 cylinder?
Too much for a 4 cylinder.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
only light i have on is the tire pressure light, think one of the sensors maybe broken. thanks for the advice. If i have a weekend off then ill do it my self. cant afford to miss work, so i'm a little hesitant on working on my truck.
Check your spare
Old 07-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
These toyotas carry to much power
Old 07-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #12

ICEMAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well im no mechanic but i did drive mine a couple of days before i got it fixed too i dont know if it messed up anything i assume it wasnt very good with one cylinder not firing. but an easy weekend fix if ya got the time off and hell you can pull the coils and check them just like you would with a plug just pull it and leave the quick connect connected and have smoe one turn it real quick while you ground it on the frame or block or whatever you only have 4 to check!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #13
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Unplug a coil; start the truck and if it runs the same (just as poorly as it did and not any worse) you just found the bad coil. If you unplug a good coil it will run even worse. Get a good used coil from a wrecking yard or buy a new one if you like.

You can change the plugs, it's easy, really. Don't overtighten the plugs; snug em in nicely.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #14

ICEMAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
Unplug a coil; start the truck and if it runs the same (just as poorly as it did and not any worse) you just found the bad coil. If you unplug a good coil it will run even worse. Get a good used coil from a wrecking yard or buy a new one if you like.

You can change the plugs, it's easy, really. Don't overtighten the plugs; snug em in nicely.
Yeah that works too
Old 07-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If you dont have an engine light, and its a very little amount of shaking, it could very well be normal....
Old 07-22-2011, 07:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivewalker View Post
Check your spare
Forgot about my spare!
Old 07-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #17
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
If you dont have an engine light, and its a very little amount of shaking, it could very well be normal....
x2. Anything bad would display error. So its most likely normal wear on the engine.
You can try different fuel.
Check air filter.
Check engine mounts. Engines do shake but if too much of shake transfers to cab you may have bad rubber in the engine mount.
Check power steering fluid since that could be putting extra load on engine.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:47 AM   #18
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
lol a motor mount?

if a motor mount is broke it will shake during idle....

put on the parking brake, open the hood have someone watch the engine and look for where its moving. put it in drive (with the brake on) and gas on gas off gas on gas off really quick. that should show you where its at
Old 07-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #19
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
manual says its due at 100k im at about 68k right now. My mechanic says he would replace them for 165, is that a fair price for a 4 cylinder?
way too much. . . You can get four plugs for about $20. Then it's just a matter of if you can use a ratchet/socket.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #20
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
It's easy to test plugs/rotor but those should thrown an engine light. The only thing I can think of that could cause excessive shake without throwing a light is the motor mounts. Which will shake more at idle then at working speed. Check those ..