Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Can I paint this?

Old 07-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #21
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorComa View Post
I don't get it either. I'm no expert but I would think paint would be better in many aspects for a permanent application. Why choose plasti dip for this when he seems willing to do it the right way?
because if you dont like it you peel it off. Good luck taking off permanent paint..
Old 07-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #22
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTaco07 View Post
Good luck taking off permanent paint..
That's one of the major advantages of paint
Old 07-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #24
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
because if you dont like it you peel it off. Good luck taking off permanent paint..
So...if he wants to go back to rusty stock hubs, he can just peel off the plasti dip? That is the advantage?

Under what conditions would it be so important to return the rusty hubs to their 'factory' rusty condition? If he paints it black and doesn't like it, couldn't he just...put the center cap back on? Or even paint it a different color?
Old 07-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #25
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
So...if he wants to go back to rusty stock hubs, he can just peel off the plasti dip? That is the advantage?

Under what conditions would it be so important to return the rusty hubs to their 'factory' rusty condition? If he paints it black and doesn't like it, couldn't he just...put the center cap back on? Or even paint it a different color?
Don't try to reason with them, they are blinded by love....love of plastidip.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #26
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

The paint would throw the wheel off of balance. Plasti-Dip weighs a ton less than paint.

Just stop while you're ahead. . .
Old 07-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #27
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Don't try to reason with them, they are blinded by love....love of plastidip.
He love it so much he plasti-dips his junk every day.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #28
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

If he wants to look like a redneck. Next question
Old 07-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #29
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If he wants to look like a redneck. Next question
Uh....good recovery?
Old 07-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #30
Super Mod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
He love it so much he plasti-dips his junk every day.
I have actually considered using plasti dip as a condom, however the 1 to 2 ratio of it working is a risk I can't take this early in life.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #31
Super Mod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Uh....good recovery?
Noo thats in all seriousness lol we had a redneck day at my school for spirit week so I took my caps off and got camo vynal around the truck and on the roof in the interior
Old 07-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #32
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
A lot of the higher line vehicle clubs are using it to temporarily black out their chrome emblems but that's about it.
Dammit!! I thought TW was the highest line club.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #33
GatorComa has a spectacular aura aboutGatorComa has a spectacular aura aboutGatorComa has a spectacular aura about

Name: Robby
GatorComa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I get that, but why would you want to go back to the rusty hubs after you've painted them? You can do it right the first time or spend the rest of the truck's life periodically touching up the peeling plasti dip.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacountryboy-IXI View Post
The paint would throw the wheel off of balance. Plasti-Dip weighs a ton less than paint.

Just stop while you're ahead. . .
Old 07-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #34
Super Mod!

Quote:
I get that, but why would you want to go back to the rusty hubs after you've painted them? You can do it right the first time or spend the rest of the truck's life periodically touching up the peeling plasti dip.......

How is he going to clean his wheel bearings?
Old 07-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #35
GatorComa has a spectacular aura aboutGatorComa has a spectacular aura aboutGatorComa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
How is he going to clean his wheel bearings?
Guess I've never cleaned my wheel bearings. Would a coat of paint really keep him from accessing them? If so, then I guess that's a good point, I just can't imagine that would keep you from being able to do so.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #36
Super Mod!

Quote:
Guess I've never cleaned my wheel bearings. Would a coat of paint really keep him from accessing them? If so, then I guess that's a good point, I just can't imagine that would keep you from being able to do so.
You probably wont have to anytime soon but the bearing in in the middle of the rust therefore painting all of it could potentionally get in the way if you were trying to I would think besides plasti dip is just like paint just removeable?
Old 07-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #37
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Plastidip is rubbery. It's stretchy and peels off. You know when you buy a gift card and that clear stuff keeps the card stuck to the cardboard it comes with? It peels off like that.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #38

Quote:
You probably wont have to anytime soon but the bearing in in the middle of the rust therefore painting all of it could potentionally get in the way if you were trying to I would think besides plasti dip is just like paint just removeable?
Is there nothing covering the bearings in the middle of the hub? I'm just curious now and too lazy to walk out to my truck and look. And i understand the purpose of it, I would think it would be great stuff for some applications. I just think paint would work better here, but then again I have no personal experience with plasti dip so what do I know haha
Old 07-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Plastidip is rubbery. It's stretchy and peels off.
I got an idea......Just keep adding plasti dip to your tires and never run out of tread!!! haha
Old 07-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #40
Shaq-enzy Falls
supataco has a spectacular aura aboutsupataco has a spectacular aura aboutsupataco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ichiro
supataco's Tacoma Gallery
Haha this thread went a lot further than I expected it to.