Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Can I paint this?

Old 07-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
Shaq-enzy Falls
supataco has a spectacular aura aboutsupataco has a spectacular aura aboutsupataco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ichiro
supataco's Tacoma Gallery
Can I paint this?

The real question is:

Can I paint the center hub (I'm assuming thats what it is) so that I can run my Sport wheels without a center cap? I personally feel the wheel looks better without it, but the center hub is all rusty, and I want to cover it up with black paint or PlastiDip. I just didn't wanna start spraying away at the hub if it's gonna cause any kind of damage.

(Not my truck, just using this as an example)
Old 07-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, you can't paint the wheels... Painting your wheels won't damage them... Haha
Old 07-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Shaq-enzy Falls
supataco has a spectacular aura aboutsupataco has a spectacular aura aboutsupataco has a spectacular aura about

Lol I mean the center hub beneath the wheel, so that when I take the center cap off the wheel, it won't look all nasty n rusty anymore. Lol.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:26 PM   #5
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Hes talking about his axle part not the rim. Yeah its all good bearings are covered. Not a bad idea
Old 07-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
Shaq-enzy Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTaco07 View Post
Hes talking about his axle part not the rim. Yeah its all good bearings are covered. Not a bad idea
Sweet. Thanks man. I'll post pics later for anyone that's curious.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #7
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by supataco View Post
Sweet. Thanks man. I'll post pics later for anyone that's curious.
Alright cool I'd plasti dip it though so you can pull it off when you wanna clean your bearings and suchhh
Old 07-24-2011, 01:35 AM   #8
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Why are people recommending "plasti dip" when proper surface prep, primer, and paint is the traditional solution that works fine?
Old 07-24-2011, 01:37 AM   #9
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Why are people recommending "plasti dip" when proper surface prep, primer, and paint is the traditional solution that works fine?
Those methods don't achieve horsepower gains.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:49 AM   #10
Yo! Wat up peeps?
1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future

1Bigbird's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacountryboy-IXI View Post
Those methods don't achieve horsepower gains.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:31 AM   #11
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
We are all sheep on TW. Plasti dip is the new satoshi.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:33 AM   #12
Shaq-enzy Falls

Anyone know if other car forums are going as nuts over plasti dip as we are? Ran into a guy at home depot while buying a few cans who just so happens to own a taco too lol. Could be just coincidence since EVERYONE in Hawaii drives taco.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:45 AM   #13
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Just take the wheels & tires off, get out the wire brush if needed, prep and paint. I am spraying the hub areas first with a rust converter followed by a coat of black paint. Overkill perhaps, but it should stay black fo awhile.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:01 AM   #14
GatorComa has a spectacular aura aboutGatorComa has a spectacular aura aboutGatorComa has a spectacular aura about

Name: Robby
GatorComa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't get it either. I'm no expert but I would think paint would be better in many aspects for a permanent application. Why choose plasti dip for this when he seems willing to do it the right way?
Old 07-24-2011, 06:19 AM   #15
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorComa View Post
I don't get it either. I'm no expert but I would think paint would be better in many aspects for a permanent application. Why choose plasti dip for this when he seems willing to do it the right way?
We haven't figured out why people don't use real paint so we just tell them to plati-dip away.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:21 AM   #16
GatorComa has a spectacular aura aboutGatorComa has a spectacular aura aboutGatorComa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
We haven't figured out why people don't use real paint so we just tell them to plati-dip away.
Haha gotcha whatever makes them happy i guess
Old 07-24-2011, 06:49 AM   #17
leveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
leveltwo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
plasti-dip over paint, therefore all bases are covered. its the only way
Old 07-24-2011, 07:06 AM   #18
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveltwo View Post
Lol.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by leveltwo View Post
Old 07-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #20
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by supataco View Post
Anyone know if other car forums are going as nuts over plasti dip as we are? Ran into a guy at home depot while buying a few cans who just so happens to own a taco too lol. Could be just coincidence since EVERYONE in Hawaii drives taco.
A lot of the higher line vehicle clubs are using it to temporarily black out their chrome emblems but that's about it. They do it for car shows and such. It comes off so easy and doesn't ruin the car like paint would.

They do the same with vinyl. Cheaper than paint but will change your car's color from blah silver to flat mandarin orange if you want to go a little crazy for the show! WOOT!