Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Did my entire front axle decide to leak at once?

Old 07-24-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
Did my entire front axle decide to leak at once?

I came out of work to see what everybody wants to see under their truck, a small puddle... so I check, and it is oil... diff oil... so I look under the truck and it is leaking from the diff, and both ends of the axle... wtf? We are in the middle of a heat wave... thinking maybe it was some extra oil that just forced it's way out... maybe it was too full?

I took off the fill cap (after driving 45 min home from work) and some oil did come out, so it isn't low..
Attached Thumbnails
Did my entire front axle decide to leak at once?-imag0036.jpg   Did my entire front axle decide to leak at once?-imag0037.jpg  
Old 07-24-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Maybe the vent tube is plugged.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:11 AM   #3
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That's all the way up in the engine bay though isn't it? I will check it.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
It is but you never know. It could have broken at some point or come off at the diff end. Your pic in your sig suggests that you might get into some deep stuff.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:18 AM   #5

Yea, I haven't changed my air filter or anything yet since our last offroad trip last week... and the engine was pretty muddy, I brushed the extra mud and all off the diff end, I bet that was it.

So, since I did that did I blow the seals?
Old 07-24-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
Banned
You might have but I am unsure.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:33 AM   #7
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Check fluid level, add some if necesary. Degrease and clean affected areas. Check vent tube for obstructions, blow out with compressed air(lightly) to check, or use your mouth. Drive somewhere, like from your house to one of the meets today, and check to see if and where there are leaks. Update us on results and let us know if ya wanna hand fixin'

Also may still be covered under drivetrain warranty (60k), just make sure undercarraige is mud and dirt free so dealership don't give you BS excuse.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Check fluid level, add some if necesary. Degrease and clean affected areas. Check vent tube for obstructions, blow out with compressed air(lightly) to check, or use your mouth. Drive somewhere, like from your house to one of the meets today, and check to see if and where there are leaks. Update us on results and let us know if ya wanna hand fixin'
I checked and the fluid was fine (some even came out of the fill hole). I got the excess mud off the vent tube and spun it around to hopefully get anything else out.

I would love to head to meet but I am about to go to sleep, just got off work.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:41 AM   #9

Thanks for the quick advice all... I am probably gonna end up replacing the breathers with small lawnmower engine filters eventually...

I noticed my rear diff housing is leaking a tad bit too, so I chalk it up to the ungodly heat wave + driving. I will just keep an eye on my fluid levels.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Sounds like your hours suck as bad as mine. Been at work since 230am.
I prefer the night shift actually... less politics.