1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Did my entire front axle decide to leak at once?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by StandingCow, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Jul 24, 2011 at 6:46 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    I came out of work to see what everybody wants to see under their truck, a small puddle... so I check, and it is oil... diff oil... so I look under the truck and it is leaking from the diff, and both ends of the axle... wtf? We are in the middle of a heat wave... thinking maybe it was some extra oil that just forced it's way out... maybe it was too full?

I took off the fill cap (after driving 45 min home from work) and some oil did come out, so it isn't low.. :confused:

IMAG0036.jpg
    IMAG0037.jpg

2. Jul 24, 2011 at 7:11 AM
    StandingCow

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    That's all the way up in the engine bay though isn't it? I will check it.

3. Jul 24, 2011 at 7:18 AM
    StandingCow

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Yea, I haven't changed my air filter or anything yet since our last offroad trip last week... and the engine was pretty muddy, I brushed the extra mud and all off the diff end, I bet that was it.

So, since I did that did I blow the seals?

4. Jul 24, 2011 at 7:33 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Check fluid level, add some if necesary. Degrease and clean affected areas. Check vent tube for obstructions, blow out with compressed air(lightly) to check, or use your mouth. Drive somewhere, like from your house to one of the meets today, and check to see if and where there are leaks. Update us on results and let us know if ya wanna hand fixin'

Also may still be covered under drivetrain warranty (60k), just make sure undercarraige is mud and dirt free so dealership don't give you BS excuse.

5. Jul 24, 2011 at 7:35 AM
    StandingCow

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    I checked and the fluid was fine (some even came out of the fill hole). I got the excess mud off the vent tube and spun it around to hopefully get anything else out.

I would love to head to meet but I am about to go to sleep, just got off work. :D

6. Jul 24, 2011 at 7:41 AM
    StandingCow

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Thanks for the quick advice all... I am probably gonna end up replacing the breathers with small lawnmower engine filters eventually...

I noticed my rear diff housing is leaking a tad bit too, so I chalk it up to the ungodly heat wave + driving. I will just keep an eye on my fluid levels.

7. Jul 24, 2011 at 7:42 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Sounds like your hours suck as bad as mine. Been at work since 230am.

8. Jul 24, 2011 at 8:03 AM
    StandingCow

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    I prefer the night shift actually... less politics.

9. Jul 24, 2011 at 8:21 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Eat more chili, people won't bother with politics. Let alone anything else.

10. Sep 17, 2011 at 11:28 PM
    jsrocket469

jsrocket469 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    05 DblCab 4x4
    NEW EMERALD GREEN METALIC PAINT, BUSWACKER FENDER FLARES, 6" PROCOMP LIFT, 35" NITTO MUD TERRAINS ON 20" BLACK CROME RIMS, CUSTOM SOUND, K&N FILTER AND INTAKE, MAGNAFLO CAT BACK STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST, AUTOMATIC DROP DOWN SIDE STEPS, 4:88 GEARS
    I hear ya - Less everything on mids/nights!

Products Discussed in

To Top