1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LOL REALLY?! Battery/starter?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MxRacer190, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Aug 8, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    colder

colder Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab TRD Sport
    This usually happens for me when it's extra humid or wet for several days preceeding.

At O'Reilly, Autozone, whatever - they sell those wire brush cleaning tools that clean the terminals and the posts both. Spray them with the cleaning stuff, clean 'em up, spray down with the anti-corrosion, reattach... you'll be good.

2. Aug 8, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    My dad told me to put a layer of marine grease on the positive terminal to prevent corrosion.

3. Aug 8, 2011 at 10:45 AM
    Darth Tater

Darth Tater If I can't get you out, neither can anyone else.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marlin
    Las Vegas, Nevada!!
    Vehicle:
    06 4X4 Taco, ARB, DBL Cab
    ARB,WARN 8K (F&R), 3" lift, Snugtop, tube steps, factory roof rack, Dick Cepeks,
    I would reccomend the can of stuff they sell at Autozone. Rattlecan, shouldn't be but a couple of bucks. If you are really cheap (like me), anything to keep oxygen away from the terminals would do. petroleum jelly, grease, whatever you have floating around the shop. Smear a bit on top of the terminals, and around the front to keep it from oxydizing.

4. Aug 8, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    coolreed

coolreed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reed
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
    Goodyear Wrangler Dura Track Pro Tires, K&N Cold Air Intake, Pedal Commander.
    Keep those battery posts clean! If those battery posts get corroded that corrosion will impeed the current needed to start a vehicle. You may get that clicking sound.

You can also get a microscopic coating on battery terminals that prevents or limits current flow.

If you have a bad battery cell you may have the correct voltage but the battery cannot supply adequate current to move the starter. You will get that clicking sound.

Make sure your starter terminals are clean and tight.

To determine if a battery is truly good you must 'Load Test' it in order to determine if the battery will provide adequate current for starting.

I repeat,..Keep Your Battery Terminals Clean. Apply 'Battery Grease' to the terminals after cleaning. Clean your terminals at least once a year.

Now YOU have been warned.

Products Discussed in

To Top