Notices

Wiring a leer topper to Tacoma

Old 07-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
roberth2334 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: Sgt
Name: Rob
roberth2334's Tacoma Gallery
Wiring a leer topper to Tacoma

I am trying to wire a used leer topper I just bought and have the wiring from the topper to the truck. The wires that are coming from the topper to the truck are- a black wire
a solid red wire
a red wire with a white stripe in it.

When I took the left taillight out I did not see the same wires in my tacoma.

Does anybody know what wires in the tail light I need to tap into to get my third brake light on the topper to work? The wires coming from the topper have a pigtail in it so i am going to keep it.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
whiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Supply SGT
whiskey101's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtrn2taco View Post
Remove two 10mm bolts to remove taillight assembly. Pull straight rearward to reomve taillight. then make following connections

Green/red = brake light
green (right next to it) - works when parking lightsare on = dome light wire (you would have to go to battery for dome light on anytime make sure you use a fuse within a foot of the battery)
white/black = ground

There is a gap between the bedcaps and the bed (rear metal upright) large enough for 3 wires to fit. You can fish them out from inside the tailght.

For quick disconnect capabilities you will always have a connector there (so it will as clean as your imagination its just wires) . If you don't have a "quick disconnect just get a 4flat trailor harness loop and use it (they come in 48'' lengths).

I hope this helped.

I bought a flat trailer wire set so I could disconnect it when I wanted to remove my topper.

I am sure that your black wire is ground. I am pretty sure that your red wire is brake. I am guessing that you have a dome light and that is the striped wire. You can run the dome lights off the green wire, but your dome will only work if you have your lights on.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
sprgrey is on a distinguished road

Name: Grey
sprgrey's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same topper. Red goes to tail light. Black has to be run to your truck frame. I tried wiring black to tail light and it will stop working. I took to leer dealer and you have to mount black to frame for solid ground. I ran wire through tail light then down to frame. Works like a charm. Hope this helps.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
roberth2334 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: Sgt
Name: Rob
roberth2334's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Guys. I got it working.