Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

cb and cb spring reccomendations?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
ˇYo Quiero Taco World!
hamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
hamNswiss on rye's Tacoma Gallery
cb and cb spring reccomendations?

all links are below

I am looking into buying a CB setup and I think i've settled on the Cobra C18-WXSTII along with a 4' Firestik Firefly antenna with a magnet mount. I was basically looking for the cheapest CB i could get that would get weather channels along with CB channels. First off, any experience with these products/setup? reccomendations?

secondly, with the mag mount and 4' antenna, firestik recommends a 'spring shock' at the base of the antenna. What i am wondering is 1) do i really need this? 2) should i go with their Medium duty or heavy duty spring? and 3) will i need to purchase anything else to complete my setup? i know little about cb's, so any insight is appreciated. thank you

Radio: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2538415

Antenna: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&q=firestik+firefly&um=1&ie= UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7962069746612734175&sa=X&ei=2pQsTo6 8NYX20gGgwLTkDg&ved=0CCQQ8wIwAg

Mag Mount Base: http://www.toy4education.com/electro...w-18-coax.html

Medium Duty Spring: http://www.amazon.com/SPRING-SHOCK-SS-MEDIUM-DUTY/dp/B000X381K0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311543466&sr=8-1

Heavy Duty Spring: http://www.amazon.com/SPRING-SHOCK-S...1543869&sr=1-1
Old 07-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
ATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud of
Army:
ATriplett513's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the Cobra 29 Classic. It's a great radio, but just a little over $100. I had a Midland 40 channel with a 4" Wilson that worked great. It's really the antenna and proper SWR adjusting that matter. If you have a good antenna, it's just your personal choice for the radio itself.

Also, if you're expecting to hit trees or anything, get a Wilson. You can bend one 180* and it won't break. There's no need for a spring on it either.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
get a wilson with a steel wip. No need for a spring
Old 07-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
ˇYo Quiero Taco World!
hamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks guys. I looked into the wilson bases, will the fit most whip antennas? How about the One I mentioned in my oP? Also, do they make any black whips? Aesthetically, I was looking for a black antenna to kind of go with the black truck. Thanks again
Old 07-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
jesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to behold

Name: jesus
jesus's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=hamNswiss on rye;3481439]all links are below

I am looking into buying a CB setup and I think i've settled on the Cobra C18-WXSTII along with a 4' Firestik Firefly antenna with a magnet mount. I was basically looking for the cheapest CB i could get that would get weather channels along with CB channels. First off, any experience with these products/setup? reccomendations?

secondly, with the mag mount and 4' antenna, firestik recommends a 'spring shock' at the base of the antenna. What i am wondering is 1) do i really need this? 2) should i go with their Medium duty or heavy duty spring? and 3) will i need to purchase anything else to complete my setup? i know little about cb's, so any insight is appreciated. thank you

Radio: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2538415

Antenna: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&q=firestik+firefly&um=1&ie= UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7962069746612734175&sa=X&ei=2pQsTo6 8NYX20gGgwLTkDg&ved=0CCQQ8wIwAg

Mag Mount Base: http://www.toy4education.com/electro...w-18-coax.html

Medium Duty Spring: http://www.amazon.com/SPRING-SHOCK-S...1543466&sr=8-1

Heavy Duty Spring: http://www.amazon.com/SPRING-SHOCK-S...1-1[/QUOTE]
check this link out
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=COB19DXIV
Old 07-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
I got the lil wil. Works great
Old 07-24-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
ATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud of
Army:
The Wilson will fit in a CB mount. I didn't even know they came in anything but black lol
Old 07-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
ˇYo Quiero Taco World!

check this link out
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=COB19DXIV[/QUOTE]

I looked at that one, but I don't think I can get any weather stations with it...
Old 07-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
Army:
Unless the weather channels are CB channels, I don't think you'll be getting them. I see you're from Tempe, tomorrow give Apollo Communications a call. (623) 939-2240

That'll be your last stop for any CB questions you have. They've installed and tuned CB's for me in 2 vehicles. The owner is one of those guys that has forgotten more about radios than I'll ever learn.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
get the heavy duty spring. my friend has the medium duty one. it has trouble keeping the antenna upright.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
ˇYo Quiero Taco World!

thanks guys. if i were to get the spring, would i also need a 'stud mount' to connect the spring to the antenna/spring to base? this is what amazon is recommending
:

http://www.amazon.com/FireStik-SS-34...=pd_rhf_shvl_4
Old 07-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #12
Army:
Again

"tomorrow give Apollo Communications a call. (623) 939-2240"
Old 07-25-2011, 01:49 AM   #13
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATriplett513 View Post
Unless the weather channels are CB channels, I don't think you'll be getting them.
The weather channels are ~160mhz VHF FM. I have seen several CB radios that have that additional receiver built in, including the OP's radio.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #14
ˇYo Quiero Taco World!

thanks for all the info guys...atriplett, ill try them sometime this week thanks. any other insight guys?

Products Discussed in this Thread