1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Winter Tires

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AK Backcountry, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Oct 19, 2008 at 4:16 PM
    AK Backcountry

AK Backcountry [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle River AK
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    Snugtop, Scangauge II, iPod Adaptor, Redline Hood Struts, Removed Secondary Air Filter, De-badged, AFE Drop In, Westin Oval Steps Future: Locker Anytime
    The snow is starting to fly and with the condition of our road I run studded snow for 7 months. I got Hankooks P265/75/R16 mounted on Eagle Racing rims.

I had a bit of a rubbing problem, which I was not expecting, with the tires on the front mud flaps so I had to remove the mud flaps (which I'm not real happy about). Also had to use 1/4 inch spacers on the rims because they rubbed on the brake calipers. Has anyone elso had that problem?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Oct 19, 2008 at 5:00 PM
    Taco's for All

Taco's for All Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake George, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab
    Nothing at the moment
    How bad was the rubbing on the front mud flap (was it all the time, or just when turning)? I just bought the same size winter tires but haven't mounted them yet as I still have another month before it really starts snowing here. What is the backspacing on your wheels? That's what I'm guessing is the reason behind your brake rubbing

3. Oct 19, 2008 at 10:17 PM
    AK Backcountry

AK Backcountry [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle River AK
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    Snugtop, Scangauge II, iPod Adaptor, Redline Hood Struts, Removed Secondary Air Filter, De-badged, AFE Drop In, Westin Oval Steps Future: Locker Anytime

They only rubbed when turning in a tight radius but it was fairly significant. I tried trimming the mud flap with a Dremel, but did not like the result.

I don't know what the backspacing (is this offset?) of the wheel is. The guy at the shop said he has not had this problem with this wheel on the 07 and older. But since the 08's have come out there has been a problem. When I talked to him on the phone he knew exactly what it was. He gave me the spacer for free so can't complain to much. He may just have been blowing smoke since it cost me a trip into town.

4. Oct 20, 2008 at 6:01 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    Nice treads, too bad about the rub... Looks good though. I run narrower 245/75 16 Blizzak on 16x7 steelie, no rub issue. Still another month before mine are going on.

Products Discussed in

To Top