1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Something pretty fun but sad too...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hulley, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Jul 25, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    The Big O

The Big O Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Lyndhurst, New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '11 Taco 4x4 SR5 - Black
    When I went to test drive a used Taco they had to jump start the car to move it off the lot. Apparently they "turn the batteries off when the cars aren't in use so they don't die."

Also he couldn't drive stick so I had to drive it off the lot and park it back on the lot.

2. Jul 25, 2011 at 2:26 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    When I bought my truck I knew most of what each package had and just what I wanted. The salesman at one dealer (I was looking at 4x4's) told me he had the one I wanted over here.......OK. Get to it, it's a pre-runner. He tells me oh......they are ALL pre-runners. :confused:

When we bought my wife's Honda Accord the salesman told us and explained that it had an "oil sensor" in it saying I didn't have to pay attention to the mileage that the car would let me know when it needed to be changed. Oh really? Sounded interesting I thought, some new technology maybe? But I had my doubt's. After hitting 5k which was when the salesman said my first oil change should be and free btw, the sensor shows 50% left. :rolleyes: Yeah, like I'm going to go 10k between oil changes? :eek: So the service guy tells me it's just a computer "assumption" based on the driving habits and admits the salesmen don't know what they are talking about.

I have run into this kinda crap so many times, buying electronics or whatever. Did my research, go into the store and try to learn anything more to help with my decision and find that I know more than the "trained" salespeople do about their product.

Bottom line, do your own research. ;)

3. Jul 25, 2011 at 2:33 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    My salesman told me "You can be cruising down the highway at 65mph and if you hit any snow or ice you just hit the locker button for 100% traction." ... wrong on so many levels.

4. Jul 25, 2011 at 2:41 PM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    Maybe he is a undercover Jeep salesman posing as a Toyota salesman.

I heard the new jeeps have adjustable ride height for offroading and city cruising.

5. Jul 25, 2011 at 6:08 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    He got his RAV4 training mixed up, I think. The RAV4 has a button where our 4WD rotary knob is located. It sets the RAV4's transfer case from an "on-demand" mode to a fixed torque split. However, the button has the word "LOCK" on it. See: http://imageonthefly.autodatadirect.com/images/?IMG=CAB80TOS111B0302.jpg

6. Jul 25, 2011 at 6:20 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Either way if you kick in a locker at 65 mph you're trying to kill someone. Most inexperienced users can badly handle a locker at 10 mph, let alone locking when it's slick and you're going down a highway.

Oh and the Rav4 lock system only works up to 25 mph or something like that. Low speed only.

7. Jul 25, 2011 at 6:23 PM
    m0nster986

m0nster986 ♥ Emergency Medicine

Member:
    SoCal
    salesmen FAIL

8. Jul 25, 2011 at 6:32 PM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    100% right on. If you know what your looking for and don't want to be taken for a ride, become the SME. Don't rely on others to give you your facts, find them yourself before you talk to a salesman.

Frank

9. Jul 25, 2011 at 6:41 PM
    ZZBlueComet

ZZBlueComet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Lexington, Ky.
    Vehicle:
    11 4x4 Double Off Road
    wow!!

10. Jul 26, 2011 at 7:26 AM
    fvtalon

fvtalon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern BC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD/Yamaha
    285/65/18 BFG ATs on MKWs Leer Cap
    I'd have so much more respect for a guy that says "I'm not sure what that does but I can go look it up for you, it's so hard to keep track of all the new features in all the new vehicles" rather than the guy who just makes something up so he's always got an answer.

I'll pay polite attention to a salesperson until I get the first hint of a bullshit answer then they loose all credibility with me. I will actually engage the few people who do know what they're selling though. Generally speaking though I seldom buy anything without having done all my research beforehand.

11. Jul 26, 2011 at 7:35 AM
    capetaco12

capetaco12 .<>./

Member:
    Cleveland Ledge, MA
    Vehicle:
    Sold: 33's,armor,crawler,dents, ect. 2020 Gladiator
    OME lift CBI sliders, front bumper homemade rear bumper 33x12.50 m/t Gears Aussie locker inchworm crawlbox Homemade flat belly
    When i look at a car i usually test the sales person. I say stuff like i heard the V6 Actually gets better gas mileage than the 4cy, if they correct me on stupid little stuff like that it helps me figure out if they are trying to screw me. And usually i go just to test drive the cars:D

Products Discussed in

To Top