Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Final questions before new lift purchase.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
creedler is on a distinguished road

Name: Max
creedler's Tacoma Gallery
Final questions before new lift purchase.

After many hours of reading build threads and the suspension section of TW I believe that I'm ready to ditch the spacer lift and purchase a new lift from Toytec. Please let me know if I'm missing anything or you think I should choose a slightly different route.

Truck Specs: 2010 Taco extended cab SR5 4wd. Here is a link to the current Fat Bob spacer lift I now have installed now.

http://store.fatbobsgarage.com/_toyo...owReviews=True

New Suspension/questions:

Bilstein 5100's front and rear. I'm planning on keeping the fat bobs aal in the rear. Since the aal only provides 2 in. of lift is it safe to go with the 5100's opposed to the 5150s for the rear?

Toytec/Eibach front coils.

Light racing uca's.

Front 1/4 spacer to fix driver side lean.

Will I need/ should I purchase a new diff drop? I was planning on using the one currently installed.

Since I already have the aal in the rear with the u bolts there is no need to purchase new u bolts from Toytec correct?

Thanks in advance for all of the help. I know this question/ similar questions are asked all the time. I would just like some reassurance before I pull the trigger on the lift today. And of course i will post pictures after it is installed. However installation may take longer that usual. I don't have a lot of experience and I'm going to try and do it myself
Attached Thumbnails
Final questions before new lift purchase.-0803001923.jpg  
Old 07-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
TacoSID138 is a jewel in the roughTacoSID138 is a jewel in the roughTacoSID138 is a jewel in the rough

EMS:
Name: steven
TacoSID138's Tacoma Gallery
5100 will be fine. they accomadate for 3 icnhes of lift. your current diff drop should be fine with the new lift, dont see a reason why you would need a new one. no you dont need new u botls, you should replace them when swapping out a leaf pack or add a new leaf. good luck with install.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
rear 5100s are supposed to accommodate up to 2" of rear lift, but there have been a rash of people lately that have used them offroading w/ a 2" AAL and overextended the shocks and broke them.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by creedler View Post
After many hours of reading build threads and the suspension section of TW I believe that I'm ready to ditch the spacer lift and purchase a new lift from Toytec. Please let me know if I'm missing anything or you think I should choose a slightly different route.

Truck Specs: 2010 Taco extended cab SR5 4wd. Here is a link to the current Fat Bob spacer lift I now have installed now.

http://store.fatbobsgarage.com/_toyo...owReviews=True

New Suspension/questions:

Bilstein 5100's front and rear. I'm planning on keeping the fat bobs aal in the rear. Since the aal only provides 2 in. of lift is it safe to go with the 5100's opposed to the 5150s for the rear?
See Below
Toytec/Eibach front coils.
I have the same set-up, you'll love it!
Light racing uca's.
Are you putting the 5100's at .85? If you're leaving them at 0, you won't need new UCA's.
Front 1/4 spacer to fix driver side lean.

Will I need/ should I purchase a new diff drop? I was planning on using the one currently installed.
There are mixed reviews on diff drops, a lot of people here tell you that you won't need it/shouldn't install it but if you already have, you will not need to replace it with a new one.
Since I already have the aal in the rear with the u bolts there is no need to purchase new u bolts from Toytec correct?
Correct.
Thanks in advance for all of the help. I know this question/ similar questions are asked all the time. I would just like some reassurance before I pull the trigger on the lift today. And of course i will post pictures after it is installed. However installation may take longer that usual. I don't have a lot of experience and I'm going to try and do it myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSID138 View Post
5100 will be fine. they accomadate for 3 icnhes of lift. your current diff drop should be fine with the new lift, dont see a reason why you would need a new one. no you dont need new u botls, you should replace them when swapping out a leaf pack or add a new leaf. good luck with install.
Read this thread about 5100's... they are not good to 3" of lift.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...my-5100-a.html
Old 07-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
rear 5100s are supposed to accommodate up to 2" of rear lift, but there have been a rash of people lately that have used them offroading w/ a 2" AAL and overextended the shocks and broke them.

I don't know anything about the 5150's. I would assume they are a slightly longer shock? Would they provide a stiffer ride? I drive on the road 90% of the time with some light wheeling.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by creedler View Post
I don't know anything about the 5150's. I would assume they are a slightly longer shock? Would they provide a stiffer ride? I drive on the road 90% of the time with some light wheeling.
the person to talk to would be the folks at DownSouth Motorsports. they are a vendor here. they know all there is to know about this stuff. they can do custom valving on certain products as well.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Read this thread about 5100's... they are not good to 3" of lift.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...my-5100-a.html
Yes I will run them at .85. sorry i left that part out. I'm going to call DSM now to decide if i wanna run 5150's or 5100's in the rear.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #8

So I just spoke with Marko from DSM. He suggest that I run slightly longer 5100's that are used in the RCD lift kit. Are the 5100's not all the same height? I think I will also go with the Desert Product UCA's from DSM but stick with the eibach coils and 1/4 spacer from toytec for the front.