Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Does Toyota offer a mechanical limited slip differential anymore?

Old 07-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
11Taco2.7 has a spectacular aura about11Taco2.7 has a spectacular aura about
11Taco2.7's Tacoma Gallery
Does Toyota offer a mechanical limited slip differential anymore?

I was reading about Auto-Lsd in Tacomas and I was wondering if Toyota even offeres a mechanical limited slip differential anymore.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
11Taco2.7 has a spectacular aura about11Taco2.7 has a spectacular aura about
11Taco2.7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
No.

I dont get why they switched to Auto LSD. I could be wrong but it seems like a mechanical would be better.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Taco2.7 View Post
I dont get why they switched to Auto LSD. I could be wrong but it seems like a mechanical would be better.
ALSD works pretty good offroad and ok in the street. Also a mechanical LSD is expensive. The Sport package used to me quite a bit more expensive than the offroad when it had a mechanical LSD and now it is 300 cheaper than the OR without it.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Most likely factor would be cost
Old 07-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkofwimbo View Post
Most likely factor would be cost
All of the hardware for A-LSD already existed once they had the STAR system standard on all of the trucks. It was basically a no-cost option to give everyone A-LSD.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
All of the hardware for A-LSD already existed once they had the STAR system standard on all of the trucks. It was basically a no-cost option to give everyone A-LSD.
He was saying the mechanical LSD cost more than the ALSD because of the reasons you stated.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Of course a mechanical LSD worked in 4lo whereas the auto LSD only works in 2hi & 4hi.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
people dont know how to use it. Hino still makes mechanical LSD but its only for trucks outside US. Its the way all things end up. If it is too good then it gets discontinued
Old 07-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #10
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
He was saying the mechanical LSD cost more than the ALSD because of the reasons you stated.
Yes, and I was adding to his already correct explanation.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Yes, and I was adding to his already correct explanation.
Just making sure.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #12
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
A mehc. LSD isnt going to add that much to the cost of a vehicle. The assembly is about 100 bucks (manufacture cost for the bare part), and it can be assembled as the gears are being installed with very littel added time.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
A mehc. LSD isnt going to add that much to the cost of a vehicle. The assembly is about 100 bucks (manufacture cost for the bare part), and it can be assembled as the gears are being installed with very littel added time.
Why was the Sport model quite a bit more than the OR when now the Sport is $300 less?
Old 07-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #14
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Why was the Sport model quite a bit more than the OR when now the Sport is $300 less?
Retail price on a mech LS diff is abou t$300.00. The actual cost to a manufacture is much less. If your talking about the MSRP, then that varies depending on options, and dealer add ons. I really dont think the lack of an LS Diff reduces the cost 300 bucks.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #15
Banned
Quote:
Retail price on a mech LS diff is abou t$300.00. The actual cost to a manufacture is much less. If your talking about the MSRP, then that varies depending on options, and dealer add ons. I really dont think the lack of an LS Diff reduces the cost 300 bucks.
IDK. I remember seeing the Sport cost about $700ish more than the OR back in like 07.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #16

Quote:
IDK. I remember seeing the Sport cost about $700ish more than the OR back in like 07.
So that would mean the LS Diff cost 1000 bucks. I dont think so. The problem lies in, the individual dealer ships print the "MSRP" on each vehicle. The same vehicle at any dealership can vary in price to some degree. Some TRD modles have a single disk stereo, 6 disk, JBL, tow package, while others might be outfitted differently. Unless you can see the same options line by line, on the 2 different vehicles, its a guessing game.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #17
Banned
Quote:
So that would mean the LS Diff cost 1000 bucks. I dont think so. The problem lies in, the individual dealer ships print the "MSRP" on each vehicle. The same vehicle at any dealership can vary in price to some degree. Some TRD modles have a single disk stereo, 6 disk, JBL, tow package, while others might be outfitted differently. Unless you can see the same options line by line, on the 2 different vehicles, its a guessing game.
This was online pricing and they were built the same because I built them. When I actually built my 2010 truck online before purchase in 09 I noticed the OR was cheaper. I know what you are saying though.

Oh and model.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
mmm...............modles
Quote:
Oh and model.
THATS the word you're gonna bust my ass on????
Old 07-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #19
Banned
Quote:
THATS the word you're gonna bust my ass on????
Hell yes!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Hell yes!
sonofabitch.......