Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Quick Bed Mat Mod (Pics)

Old 10-19-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
Sold my Tacoma. Goodbye TW.
Neubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Neubs's Tacoma Gallery
Quick Bed Mat Mod (Pics)

I am not sure if this has been covered before but here is a quick and easy bed mat mod. I was worried about someone possibly stealing my bed mat or it possibly flying out so I drilled a hole in the front of the mat where the factory center drain hole is. I then used stainless steel hardware to bolt it down. Sorry in advance for the poor pics.

What you need:

Wingnut under truck:

Finished top picture:

Ta Da, all done:

Old 10-19-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
Nice, added it the brief mod list here. Will show this to piercedtiger too...
Old 10-20-2008, 06:47 AM   #4
hate2work will become famous soon enoughhate2work will become famous soon enough
hate2work's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for sharing this good idea. I think I would use a nylock nut down below, as they don't require pressure to stay in place.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:35 AM   #8
rachunter will become famous soon enough
rachunter's Tacoma Gallery
You do not have to worry about the bed mats flying out, I have had them in my last three trucks and have never even had one even attempt to fly out.

As far as stealing them there is not much of a way to stop a thief. One good pull and the rubber will tear where the bolt is or someone can just cut out a V where the bolt is.

I don't mean to be negative, just truthful.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:59 AM   #9
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachunter View Post
You do not have to worry about the bed mats flying out, I have had them in my last three trucks and have never even had one even attempt to fly out.

As far as stealing them there is not much of a way to stop a thief. One good pull and the rubber will tear where the bolt is or someone can just cut out a V where the bolt is.

I don't mean to be negative, just truthful.
They could cut the mat, that's true.... But it's not going to just rip... It's like a tire with belts and threads strengthening it. Have you tried tearing or cutting one? I cut notches in mine for extra D-rings so I know how strong it is.

It would keep the casual thief from walking off with it. But someone serious would cut it, or take a gander underneath to see what the bolt was. Then see the wing nut, and off it would come.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:55 AM   #10
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
nice mod man!! great idea!
Old 10-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #11
Neubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Neubs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
They could cut the mat, that's true.... But it's not going to just rip... It's like a tire with belts and threads strengthening it. Have you tried tearing or cutting one? I cut notches in mine for extra D-rings so I know how strong it is.

It would keep the casual thief from walking off with it. But someone serious would cut it, or take a gander underneath to see what the bolt was. Then see the wing nut, and off it would come.
Yeah, it is really hard to stop the determined theif, I don't argue that fact. But it would stop/deter the common theif looking for a quick grab and go. I think (hope) most people would see that it is bolted down and look else where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBulldog View Post
Great write up Dave!
Thanks Don.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:20 PM   #12
Lean Mean MPG Machine (best = 27)
pidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud of

Name: Stefan
pidro_el_pirata's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neubs View Post
Yeah, it is really hard to stop the determined theif, I don't argue that fact. But it would stop/deter the common theif looking for a quick grab and go. I think (hope) most people would see that it is bolted down and look else where.
Exactly, most thefts of small things like bed mats are just crimes of opportunity. If it's easy, take it, if not, go buy your own yknow lol
Old 01-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #13
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the mod. I just ordered the Toyota Tacoma mat and will do exactly that.

It's these little things that make a difference.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #15
finny6944 is on a distinguished road
Marines: lcpl,3rd bn, 4th  marines, 1st marine division
finny6944's Tacoma Gallery
Thiefs are opportunistic. That bolt just may be enough to make him steal the next guys mat that isn't bolted down. Good mod.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:53 AM   #16
Dennis1947 is on a distinguished road
Navy: 30 yr Surface Line Officer
Dennis1947's Tacoma Gallery
Where it the right place to purchase the mat? Free shipping offer? Any routine treatments required for the mat?
Old 04-13-2009, 07:25 PM   #17

Neubs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis1947 View Post
Where it the right place to purchase the mat? Free shipping offer? Any routine treatments required for the mat?
You will have to shop around. I found the best internet price I could and then called local dealerships to see if they could match it. My dealer eventually did. No maintenance required. TRD Parts4U will match prices. They usually price their stuff very competitively.

http://trdparts4u.com/PD-PT580-35050-SB.aspx?MakeID=1

Hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #18
Dennis1947 is on a distinguished road
Navy: 30 yr Surface Line Officer
Dennis1947's Tacoma Gallery
Bed Mat Mod

Since joining recently I have seen 2 mods that interest me: (1) add a bed mat and secure it with a bolt/wing nut; (2) add additional D-rings. Today I did both in 1 mod. I cut holes in my new bed mat (generic, not Tacoma) and added 2 D-rings to 2 existing bed liner bolts. Instead of cutting a 2-3 inch square out for the D-rings, I made a hole big enough for the bed liner bolt, built up from below teh bed mat with additional washers, and attached the D-rings on top of the bed mat. I then tightened the bed liner bolts, leaving the D-rings on top of the mat. The D-ring bed liner bolts are snug enough and there are 4 others holding the liner. This way the D-rings provide security for the mat also.

--dennis, Auburn, AL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neubs View Post
I am not sure if this has been covered before but here is a quick and easy bed mat mod. I was worried about someone possibly stealing my bed mat or it possibly flying out so I drilled a hole in the front of the mat where the factory center drain hole is. I then used stainless steel hardware to bolt it down. Sorry in advance for the poor pics.

What you need:

Wingnut under truck:

Finished top picture:

Ta Da, all done:

Old 04-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #19
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
very nice mod!
Old 04-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #20
Okkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to behold

Okkine's Tacoma Gallery
Did you have to drill a hole in the bed? On my '09 the center drain hole looks quite small?