Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

tsb rear spring harsh ride

Old 07-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
robjohn315 is on a distinguished road
Name: John
robjohn315's Tacoma Gallery
tsb rear spring harsh ride

I just bought my wife a 2011 dc prerunner saturday before last. Last saturday we loaded up our dirt bikes and gear in the back (about 600-700lbs). I noticed the rear was sagging pretty low and seemed like I was getting on the overload springs. Also, this raised the front a little and the steering wasn't as responsive. Then, I found this forum and looked over the tsb. I called my dealer and they said they will do it but warned me that the ride would be VERY harsh when not under a load. We haul two full sized dirt bikes in the back and occasionally pull a 14ft utility (not enclosed) trailer with one other full sized bike and 3 kid sized bikes on it. We do this about once a month. Do you guys recommend that I go for the upgraded suspension? My wife is a little worried about the VERY harsh ride the dealer described. My gut is telling me that they just dont want to do the work at the lower margin, so they are exagerating the VERY harsh ride. Sorry for the long post. Please, give me your opinion especially if you have had this done.

Thanks,

John
Old 07-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
It is BS that the dealer tries to feed you so they don't have to spend the money. Get it done if you need it. The ride is about the same.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
Tacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
Tacolover443's Tacoma Gallery
No, that dealer just doesnt want to give you free suspension. It will give the ride a bit more of a stiff feeling not under load, but it's not going to be to a great extent. When I throw my dirt bikes in the back of my taco with the stock suspension it also sags, so I'm about to get the TSB as well. Don't let the dealer fool you, your suspension will be a bit stiffer, but totally worth it if your hauling bikes and trailers. Plus, it's free suspension
Old 07-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Well even with the TSB leafs my truck bottoms out, but less, with the same quad and riding gear in the back.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
All the Canadian trucks come stock with the 4 leaf pack ( TSB ) springs .

The dealer is full of shit .
Old 07-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
i would think some airbags would be more beneficial. But they're not free. Mine does the same thing when i have my 700 trex in the bed. Plus my tools and extra gas and so on. I didn't get the tsb for fear of a stiffer ride and having the rear even more higher than the front. I just trailer it now.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
stangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud of

stangkeip10's Tacoma Gallery
i haven't once regretted getting mine done. worse case if you don't like it i'm sure you could find someone to swap the 4 pack out for the stock 3.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
Commie is on a distinguished road

Navy: FRC West
Name: Andrei
Commie's Tacoma Gallery
I got my TSB done a few weeks ago and since then I drove my truck to nothern Oregon from central Cali. The ride is a little stiffer but not in a bad way. Makes the back end feel more solid. In Oregon I've took it up some mountain trails and even out on the beach. Great ride everywhere I went. Strongly recommend you getting this if you can.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:29 PM   #9
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
It's a truck... what did you expect it to ride like? (humor)

Get it done! I needed it on my '05, bottomed out any bump with passengers or cargo... dealer didn't offer any help, so I had Ride Rite Air Bags installed... they were awesome!

My '10 has better springs and the new truck doesn't bottom out.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:53 PM   #10
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
I got mine done about a month after I bought the truck. I did not notice any difference in the ride being harsh without a load.

You have to remember something: Your truck is brand new and a lot of the people that are bringing their truck for this TSB have had them for a while. Their springs have settled and they have gotten used to the ride. When they put in a brand new 4 pack (not adding a leaf, mind you) it's going to feel stiffer. It's a NEW spring pack!

Again, your springs are new still, I bet not even broken in yet! You probably won't notice much of a difference with no load. I didn't.

I would give the TSB a try and see if it works out for you. No money for you out of pocket so why not? If you find later on that you need something more beefy, do it then. But I would see how the new 4 pack works before spending more money.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:07 AM   #11
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
It is BS that the dealer tries to feed you so they don't have to spend the money. Get it done if you need it. The ride is about the same.
x2. I had mine done a few weeks ago. The ride is better over small bumps, you hardly feel them, unlike pre TSB. Larger bumps are a little rougher, but not that bad. The dealer tries to make it worse than it is. My dealer tried that same BS. After 3 weeks, I'm happy I had it done. Personally to me pre TSB was a worse ride

I didn't know about the TSB when I had my 2005 tacoma(until after the warranty expired) & I could feel every little & big bump.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:30 AM   #12
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post

Do you mean Toyota? That Toyota is maybe telling the dealerships to avoid the TSBs? I thought the dealerships get reimbursed, plus it give the techs more hours! I wouldn't think it a loss to the dealerships.

??
Old 07-26-2011, 01:43 AM   #13
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Do you mean Toyota? That Toyota is maybe telling the dealerships to avoid the TSBs? I thought the dealerships get reimbursed, plus it give the techs more hours! I wouldn't think it a loss to the dealerships.

??
Toyota has mandated that the customer has to mention certain things to qualify.

I posted this after I had my TSB done. Here is what I learned from the dealer.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...b-2nd-gen.html
Old 07-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #14
parrothead1979 is on a distinguished road
parrothead1979's Tacoma Gallery
Had my 2011 done last week and I love the ride. Not much different.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #15
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post

??
Who knows and who cares. The 3 leaf pack springs suck and so do the 4 leaf pack springs. If I could do it again I would avoid doing it and jsut pring for some aftermarket springs.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #17
Thanks to everyone for the information. I was leaning toward the dealer being full of it on the VERY harsh ride. I'm going to call them tomorrow and get the parts ordered. One other question, is there a tsb for the weak tailgate? I know there was one on older models. When, I loaded my bike up and stepped on the tailgate, I noticed a pop. Also, are there any other tsb or recalls I should be aware of? Thanks again for all of the help.

John
Old 07-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #18
Banned
No TSBs for the tailgate on the new ones.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #19
Thanks for all the help
Old 07-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #20
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Sometimes I get a popping sound when I walk on my tailgate , it turns out to be the plastic piece that wraps the top of the gate .