1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Traction/weight in the bed for winter driving

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by HardCase, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Oct 20, 2008 at 12:31 PM
    Taco's for All

Taco's for All Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake George, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab
    Nothing at the moment
    I live by Killington Ski Resport and love when I see all the CT, NJ and MA plates coming off the hill with their big 4x4 SUV's missing the stop signs or not knowing that just because they are locked in 4x4 they can still go 65 in 6 inches of snow.

I myself am going to use 2 sandbags just as a precaution.

2. Oct 20, 2008 at 12:39 PM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    If your rear end is squirrely, you're accelerating too fast, just ease up on the gas. Hell it might even improve your fuel efficiency and certainly will if you don't need to carry around 300lbs of dead weight because you've got heavy foot :p

3. Oct 20, 2008 at 12:42 PM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    Exactly

4. Oct 20, 2008 at 12:44 PM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    i also agree 100%!!!!

5. Oct 20, 2008 at 12:50 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    Ugh, don't get me started on Taxes. We're paying $4.37/gallon US ($1.15/Liter) for gas in Canada (Vancouver) right now. Was $5.70 back in July. Had the Liberal party won the election last week, they would have brought in a Carbon Tax that would have raised energy prices even more.

True, knowing how to drive properly in snow/ice is the most important thing, but IF you do know how, then every extra tool (sand/4x4/chains) helps that much more.

6. Oct 20, 2008 at 1:27 PM
    HardCase

HardCase [OP] Winter is coming.

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Kalispell, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma (Inferno) TRDOR 4x4 DCLB
    Thanks guys for all the info. I've got a bed mat so stuff doesn't slide back there too badly. My reg cab is a 4WD, but I don't want to run it in 4WD all the time, talk about sucking gas! I have driven all my life in snow & ice conditions, took driver's ed in the winter here in Montana when I was 14, so am pretty accustomed to driving on slick roads. I just wondered if there was some magic formula for how much weight is needed.....apparently not. I'm going with 4 tubes at 60#@ and will see how that does.

I also think that the short wheel-base on the regular cabs makes a difference, that they tend to be a bit more finicky on icy roads and more likely to swap ends. Ever drive a Jeep Wrangler on an icy road? That's a recipe for some excitement, but not necessarily the right kind of excitement!

7. Oct 20, 2008 at 1:43 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    just be carefull, with adding weight more is not always best, you may want to start with 2 or 3 and see how it goes. As far as the short wheel base, YES they are a bit on the exciting side. That put my parents in a ditch last year in their Jeep, made for a long night :(

-Dan

8. Oct 20, 2008 at 1:51 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    How about tires? I have mud terrain tires - is that really bad in the snow/ice?

9. Oct 20, 2008 at 2:01 PM
    Taco's for All

Taco's for All Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake George, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab
    Nothing at the moment
    Last year I ran with Goodyear Wrangler RT/S (All-Terrain) on my Dakota. Never got stuck, but wasn't so much a fan of them in the snow. Because of the tread, it just held the snow in the tread, as there was no where to push it out of the tread. Snow tires are constructed to push the snow out of the tread as you drive. Are you looking at a specific mud terrain tire as most snow tires are rated M&S?

10. Oct 20, 2008 at 2:44 PM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Those have the big lugs with no siping, right? I would think they wouldn't be as good since they've got fewer biting edges on them.

11. Oct 20, 2008 at 3:07 PM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    M/Ts aren't good for winter a) there is no siping and b) the rubber is harder and les pliable than all seasons or true winter tires.
    But all in all if you drive like an idiot the best winter tire isn't going to keep you on the road. drive for conditions give yourself lots of room and be aware of your surroundings just cause you know how to drive in the snow doesn't mean the guy in the F350 behind you does.

12. Oct 20, 2008 at 3:09 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    OOoooo yeah....

Back in 2003 - we just bought another Wrangler (stock) after totalling the first one. Took it out one night to a buffet place 30 miles away. It was cold as shit outside - but perfect weather. Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!! Hit a patch of black ice and it swung around 180 degrees resting in the same lane facing the other direction. What a shitty feeling....HOLD ON and wait for it to stop. I remember my husband saying to me while we were spinning, "We're OK...we're ok" (I was driving). Thank Gawd the car behind us saw it happen and stopped to let us *collect ourselves* and get back on the road.

I'll never forget that one.....happened so damn fast.

13. Oct 20, 2008 at 3:12 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Mud Terrain tires might be good & fun in the fluffy deep stuff....(like offroading in the snow).

But for daily driving on hard packed snowy roads - forget it.

I remember driving to work in my 96 tacoma with M/T's on in the snow. Never got stuck.... couldn't turn much either. I remember trying to line myself up for a parking space. My wheel was fully turned but the tires kept plowing straight.

14. Oct 20, 2008 at 3:41 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    i got some advice on here from some guys. Get your truck to an empty parking lot this winter when it snows and see how your truck is going to handle before you attempt to start driving in it. just my 2 cents. :D

15. Oct 20, 2008 at 4:15 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    What if I got the M/Ts siped? Discount Tire has offered that to me for about $14 per tire. May not be the best, but will it be better?

16. Oct 20, 2008 at 5:30 PM
    wawireguy

wawireguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Siping will make the world of difference on your tires. I highly recommend it if they are not all season tires. I wouldn't worry bout weight in the back yet. I'm not sold on it really making a difference at 200lbs or so.. Show me some data.. One poser mentioned a empty parking lot. Good idea. If you want to see what your truck will do on ice try it out. The most dangerous conditions are black ice. Stuff that looks like water when it's bout 30-32 out. This stuff is dangerous. Just hitting the gas at 60mph can spin you out. Just be aware. If it's near freezing and you are on "wet" roads use extreme caution.

17. Oct 20, 2008 at 5:38 PM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    Black ice is even more fun than icey parking lots!!! Winter is time for fun not worring about sand bags!!!!! Haha

18. Oct 20, 2008 at 6:00 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Exactly!! When I was in Alaska many years ago, the two weeks after the first snow, there were dozens of fender benders. After that people remembered how to drive on the snow and there weren't many accidents.

19. Oct 20, 2008 at 6:08 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    Tell that to my mother, who, a few years ago, hit some black ice found herself facing backwards on the highway with a semi coming up behind her. Fortunately the semi was fairly far off, but had he been closer, she would have been toast.

My first accident was in my aunts Neon when I was 18. A bus stopped to let a passenger off, and left his ass end out in my lane. I hit the black ice, and even with a significant amount of space between us, I still slid right into him. Couldn't do anything but watch it happen.

Empty parking lots can be alot of fun in the winter. I'm the first to admit that. But a populated street with cars and pedestrians is no place to drive like an idiot.

20. Oct 20, 2008 at 6:16 PM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    Wow now... I never said in "populated streets" i live out in the boondocks i would never do stuff like that near other people sorry i should be specific.

Products Discussed in

To Top