Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Could you plastidip your whole interior?

View Poll Results: painting interior
duplicolor vinyl & fabric paint 11 16.67%
VHT SP942 Vinyl Dye Black Satin Can 0 0%
Plastidip 9 13.64%
Dont even bother 46 69.70%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #61
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
This is true. I plastidipped my cock. That stuff didn't last a day.
Animal abuse!!!!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #62
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, I did it! I plasti-dipped my entire interior! I think it came out great! Whatcha all think?

Old 07-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #63
Time Traveler
MartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ROB
MartyMcfly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Animal abuse!!!!
It's only abuse if it's not consensual.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #64
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Plasti-derp is good for temporary stuff like for car shows, where you want it to peel off afterwards and is bad for permanent stuff for the exact same reason. Don't do it...
Old 07-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #65
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I Liquid I's Tacoma Gallery
Here are the promised pictures. Sorry for the bad quality. I didnt have my camera and since I was working there is a mess in the truck.

Note: There is a slight mark on the drawer. That got hit with a chisel by accident... thats how well its holding up. Lol. Also, itll soon be completely blacked out, since im getting a leather interior. Also, the center console looks beefier cause I modded it with foam to make it super comfortable. Just in case it looks weird...

Old 07-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #66
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I want more pics. How did you do it? Just spray it with everything still installed inside the truck?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #67
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I Liquid I's Tacoma Gallery
Ill put up pics again when I get the leather and everything installed.

As far as the process. I took out every plastic part I wanted to paint, these trucks are pretty simple as far as taking apart goes. I washed them pretty hard and dried them. Then I sanded them with very fine sanding paper, so that the marks wouldn't really show, but it felt a bit rougher. I washed again, then applied some industrial paint cleaner, then I washed again and dried. I applied generous amounts of adhesion promoter in many fine layers. About 4 to 5 layers id say. I let it dry, then I used the duplicolor vinyl spray I mentioned later. I did about 8 to 12 coats on all the parts. Again, I was generous with the paint, but did it in fine layers. I let them all dry for 24 hours, but I would suggest 3 days.

For the parts I did not want to bother taking out of the truck, like the lower part of the dash in the sides of the truck, I just taped everything up and did the same process.

As far as maintenance, I use Meguiars Ultimate Protectant or the Quick Detailer, both for interiors of course. They dont make the parts shiny or anything, just keep them looking deep. None of the parts show wear or scratches even though I abuse this truck and so does every person that gets in it. It has been hit, scratched and harsh chemicals have spilled in it, yet the color looks perfect. The pictures dont do justice, probably because I suck at taking pics.

Im going to do this to a friends truck soon. He is just missing the doors. Ill try and post the DIY with many pics.

As far as areas you grab a lot, like the handles in the doors, imma wrap those up with leather, but the paint will work if you do it right.