1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Could you plastidip your whole interior?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jesusc, Jul 27, 2011.

?

painting interior

Poll closed Aug 26, 2011.
  1. duplicolor vinyl & fabric paint

16.7%
  2. VHT SP942 Vinyl Dye Black Satin Can

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Plastidip

13.6%
  4. Dont even bother

69.7%
  1. Jul 29, 2011 at 9:19 PM
    I Liquid I

I Liquid I Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP DCLB, 17 Inferno TRD Offroad DCSB, 06 SW ACLB
    Too many mods to list
    Here are the promised pictures. Sorry for the bad quality. I didnt have my camera and since I was working there is a mess in the truck.

Note: There is a slight mark on the drawer. That got hit with a chisel by accident... thats how well its holding up. Lol. Also, itll soon be completely blacked out, since im getting a leather interior. Also, the center console looks beefier cause I modded it with foam to make it super comfortable. Just in case it looks weird...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jul 29, 2011 at 9:23 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I want more pics. How did you do it? Just spray it with everything still installed inside the truck?

3. Jul 29, 2011 at 9:39 PM
    I Liquid I

I Liquid I Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP DCLB, 17 Inferno TRD Offroad DCSB, 06 SW ACLB
    Too many mods to list
    Ill put up pics again when I get the leather and everything installed.

As far as the process. I took out every plastic part I wanted to paint, these trucks are pretty simple as far as taking apart goes. I washed them pretty hard and dried them. Then I sanded them with very fine sanding paper, so that the marks wouldn't really show, but it felt a bit rougher. I washed again, then applied some industrial paint cleaner, then I washed again and dried. I applied generous amounts of adhesion promoter in many fine layers. About 4 to 5 layers id say. I let it dry, then I used the duplicolor vinyl spray I mentioned later. I did about 8 to 12 coats on all the parts. Again, I was generous with the paint, but did it in fine layers. I let them all dry for 24 hours, but I would suggest 3 days.

For the parts I did not want to bother taking out of the truck, like the lower part of the dash in the sides of the truck, I just taped everything up and did the same process.

As far as maintenance, I use Meguiars Ultimate Protectant or the Quick Detailer, both for interiors of course. They dont make the parts shiny or anything, just keep them looking deep. None of the parts show wear or scratches even though I abuse this truck and so does every person that gets in it. It has been hit, scratched and harsh chemicals have spilled in it, yet the color looks perfect. The pictures dont do justice, probably because I suck at taking pics.

Im going to do this to a friends truck soon. He is just missing the doors. Ill try and post the DIY with many pics.

As far as areas you grab a lot, like the handles in the doors, imma wrap those up with leather, but the paint will work if you do it right.

Products Discussed in

To Top