Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Replacing Regular alternator to Heavy duty alternator...???????????

Old 07-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
Mr.Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Mr.Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Question Replacing Regular alternator to Heavy duty alternator...???????????

I hav come to conclusion to replace my reg. alternator (NON TRD) to Heavy duty..as while towing i smoked the alternator. I hear TOW package alternators came with 130AMP while regular ones were only 90 or 100 AMPS. Does 30 amps make such a differnce of juice while towing..??
By rebuilding it to 180AMP or 150AMPs kill anyother electrics..Is it safe.?
Any thoughts appreciated...thnks folks.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Many campers are prewired with a camper battery charge wire so the bigger alternator with the factory tow package is just for that purpose. The current rating being higher will not hurt your electronics but maybe much more then you really need the extra current comes at a incremental cost.