1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory Fog Lights?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by EvilBetty, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Jun 5, 2007 at 7:18 AM
    EvilBetty

EvilBetty [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    Has anyone installed factory fog lights on a vehicle that didn't come with them? I'm currious if the install is any cleaner than adding aftermarket lights.

2. Aug 8, 2007 at 3:38 PM
    novella

novella Member

Member:
    My truck is a 2007 Tacoma access cab 4X4 V6. The only option I have is the convenience package which includes power windows/door locks/mirrors, remote keyless entry, cruise control, sliding rear window with privacy glass. I ordered a set of fog lights from Advance Store, about $190 for the two lights. After removing the factory plugs the lights I bought plugged in just like the factory lights. I had crawled in under a Tacoma with factory installed fog lights to look. I had seen a coiled wire with plug taped under the fender well of my truck This factory installed wiring harness had a plug on the end exactly like the one on the factory installed fog lights on the truck I had looked at. The plug on this "factory wiring kit" plugged into the fog lights I had just installed. My next search was for a factory switch. I ordered one from eBay ($18.95) and when it arrived I found it was for a older model truck. I went to my local dealer and ask if a stock switch was available for the fog lights. He told me no but after I insisted he looked at his Tacoma parts list he found one and I ask for the stock number. The Toyota stock number is 84160 04010, my local dealer sells this switch for $54.95. I looked on line and found a on line listing for Toyota Parts. Address is http://www.toyota-parts-dealer.com/ I plugged in the part number and found the switch available for $35.48 plus approximately $10. No sales tax since it is coming from Virginia to Tennessee. The switch I ordered arrived and it took me longer to remove the plug from my dash than it did to install the new switch. Total time for the complete job was about 30 minutes.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Aug 8, 2007 at 6:48 PM
    GregT

GregT Member

Member:
    I installed the OEM lights and it was an easy install. I did use a Pilot wireless relay (about $ 30) that simplified the installation a lot.

E- Taco3.jpg

4. Aug 8, 2007 at 8:32 PM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    Wait... You have an I4 and installed OEM lights?

Could I get you to elaborate?

Only persons I had talked to that were able to accomplish an OEM install had the V6 model. These have the factory OEM harnesses taped under the fendors, and the switch harness stuffed behind the dash.

5. Aug 9, 2007 at 4:45 AM
    novella

novella Member

Member:
    I bought them from Advance Auto Parts in Kingsport, TN - phone number 423-246-4290 - web address - www.advanceautoparts.com - person I ask for is Jack Jenkins. He told me that any Advance Store could order them, the supplier is listed on their in store supplier list. The name is listed as Right Choice Action. The fog lights I ordered are for a 2006 Toyota Tacoma but worked for my 2007 Tacoma. If anyone wanted to they can call Jack Jenkins at the store here and he can either help your local store order them or order them for you and have them shipped to you. As a reminder, I ordered the fog light switch for my Tacoma from Mechanicsville Toyota - web address is www.toyota-parts-dealer.com/parts.html - for $35 plus shipping, $20 less than the local dealer ask. Total time for installing the fog lights and switch was about thirty minutes. Fog lights were $190. It took me longer to remove the plug from the dash then it did to plug in the prewired line to the switch and pop the switch into it's proper location on the dash. I turned on the headlights and presses the switch and the fog lights were on.

6. Aug 9, 2007 at 6:44 PM
    Tractor Man

Tractor Man Member

Member:
    Well Evil Betty, I am getting ready to do a factory install on my 06 Taco Access Cab 4Cyl. 4x4. I will let you know how it went when I complete it. By the way I'm just up the road from you in St. Joseph MO.

7. Aug 10, 2007 at 9:32 AM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    Your truck has the factory harnesses? Or your buying the $$$ kit that includes the splice in harnesses and lamps?

8. Aug 10, 2007 at 10:03 AM
    Tractor Man

Tractor Man Member

Member:
    I have someone at the dealership checking out if I can purchase a harness just for the lights. I have already got the factory lights and switch off EBAY. If I have to I will hook them up like the fellow member did in his instructions that he posted.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Aug 13, 2007 at 9:03 AM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    Let us know what you find out about the harness!

10. Aug 13, 2007 at 4:00 PM
    gtimark

gtimark Member

Member:
    This sounds like it could be a great DIY! I've always want OEM fogs for my '07 regular cab 4x4.

Is this possible with the I4 regular cab??

11. Aug 14, 2007 at 3:15 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Just installed the Blinglights foglights yesterday. I copped out and paid someone to do it in the 100+ heat here for $80. Looks great!

12. Aug 14, 2007 at 4:20 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    got pictures? :)

13. Aug 14, 2007 at 8:54 PM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Gonna take some this week. I have the before pics and after I added lots of stuff.

14. Aug 15, 2007 at 9:43 AM
    Soul

Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 Black
    what does "harness" mean o_O

15. Aug 15, 2007 at 12:26 PM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    It's the factory wiring that runs from the fog light switch, relay, and then to the two fog light housings.

16. Oct 4, 2007 at 9:38 PM
    L_Jackson

L_Jackson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Sand Pearl PreRunner Acce
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    I have looked and dont see a factory "taped up" harness anywhere under the bumper.

I have an 07 prerunner without fog lights and want to add some. I would like to do it myself, especially if it is pretty straight forward and not too complicated, but if it is easy to mess up i won't hesitate to have someone else do it :)

i just had a keyless entry added and the guys did a GREAT job with the lock/unlock switch..... it looks very clean and my biggest concern is the on/off switch for the fog lights looking messy inside the cab.

would anyone that has done the "no fog lights to fog lights" mod mind showing some pics of behind the bumper and the on/off switch?

THANKS!!!!!!

17. Oct 5, 2007 at 2:02 PM
    novella

novella Member

Member:
    I ordered a factory fog light switch for my Toyota Tacoma extra cab V-6 4 X 4 but mine was prewired from the factory. Both the switch and the fog lights I bought plugged right into the factory installed harness and look exactly like the facotry installed fog lights. You can look back in this posting and see where I ordered the switch and fog lights.

18. Oct 5, 2007 at 9:01 PM
    cuzv

cuzv Member

Member:
    Is it possible to buy the actual wire harness from any website like toyota-parts-dealer.com? I just bought a Tacoma 4x4 I4 and was pissed to find out that the truck doesnt come with the lights, even with the SR5 package (V6 Only) I have no problem splicing the harness to the factory switch if thats what it comes to, but I have no idea where to pick up the wiring or what to look for.

19. May 27, 2008 at 11:27 AM
    p38

p38 Member

Member:
    the bling lights look nice and are a great price but will they work well as true fog lamps? I don't need them as driving lights, only as fog lamps. Has anyone used these for that purpose?

20. May 29, 2008 at 6:37 PM
    IM4UH

IM4UH Member

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Prerunner Double Cab
    I just added OEM fog lights to my brand new 08 double cab Taco. It so easy, my Obama supporting neighbor coud have done it! My Taco was pre-wired and the harness is easily visible from underneath in the general proximity of the fog light holes. The first item to check is that your Taco is pre-wired. If so, all you need is around $350.00 and about 15 minutes.

Step 1 after removing the insert hole cover from the bumper is to simply line up the retainer clip on the fog light assemble with the retainer hole and push in from the front of the bumper. Both lights can be installed in 5 minutes easily. The plastic tape like material that holds the harness can be easily cut with clippers/small scissors and the wire harness plug clips on to the light bulb plug. It is easy to remove the light bulb from the fog light assembly, so if you have difficulty seeing, or have huge hands, then simply remove the bulb from the fog light assembly, plug it into the harness and re-insert the bulb in the fog light assembly. Both driver and passenger sides are identical.

Second step is to insert the relay for the fog light. The relay box is located on the inside of the engine compartment on the drivers side, right above the front wheel. The box is a plastic black box with a latch on one side and two clips on the other. Remove the cover and on the inside of the cover there is a template showing exactly where the fog light relay goes.Align the blades and plug in the relay. Another 5 minutes if you are not concentrating.

The third step is the most senitive since, if you slip you could scar the plastic around the dashboard where the new switch will be installed. The fog light switch goes in the slot closest to the driver side door. If you are not sure where it is, the owners manual shows you. The existing blank cover can be easily worked out of the hole with a very small screw driver or sharp pointed object. Simply work the blank out a little at a time by using the sharp object to gently pry the cover out from the top and bottom of the blank. In other words, stick the sharp object into the switch cover blank that slightly protrudes from the dashboard and pry it out a little at a time. Repeat from the top and bottom and be careful not to poke your self or scar the dash board. It may sound more difficult than it really is. Once you have the blank cover removed, the wiring plug that connects to the switch is attached to the blank and is removed and plugged directly on the OEM switch.

I thought about taking pictures, but that would have taken longer than installing the lights, relay, and switch.

The parts that you will need are:
    Qty (2) 81210-AA030 Fog Light Assemblies $143.00 each
    Qty (1) 90080-87010 Relay $16.81
    Qty (1) 84160-04010 Fog Lamp Switch $34.75

I bought the parts from 1sttoyotaparts.com, paid a little extra and received them 2nd day.

I like the OEM solution since it is easy to install, looks great, and the lights are adjustable up or down so you do not inadvertantly blind someone with a mis-aligned light beam.

Products Discussed in

To Top