1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Automatic Transmission Vent

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PMK, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Jul 29, 2011 at 4:11 AM
    PMK

PMK [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Automatic Transmission Vent, been searching for more details about exactly what these trucks have.

Located several topics here and on other sites.

Believe I found the vent on my 2010 2WD Prerunner, a metal tube with possibly just a hole drilled into the side of it, mounted on the aft end of the left cylinder head.

Has anyone removed and relocated this style vent? I have not yet removed it, but is it more than just a drilled metal tube? Does anyone have a few good photos of the vent tube itself they could share?

Thanks
    PK

2. Jul 29, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I have tried to find this before. I studied some documentation from Toyota but I never concluded that I found it.

I think the only reason to extend it upwards is if you're going to submarine your truck and you don't want water to get in there. :notsure:

Is this it? In the picture the hose with the red band on it?

Looking down from the top of the engine bay firewall is at top
    DSC07742_a8fd05ed403476bd6d0fd9ca9878e0917f999850.jpg

This pic was a MF to take. :D

3. Jul 29, 2011 at 12:30 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Cool. Well done on your t-case breather relocate. (rep sent).

It's a real mystery why Toyota did not put them all at the same height. Seems kind of silly.

4. Jul 29, 2011 at 12:48 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Tacoma xfer/tranny breather heights make me do a -> :facepalm:

Good for you, one more to go...

I'd doing the rear diff relocate this evening. :) Dunno if I'll do the xfer or tranny...my truck doesn't see that much water, but who knows maybe one day I'll do them.

Well hopefully the pic I posted will help the OP.

5. Jul 29, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    PMK

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    The photo is good and what I found also. So then, is this just a metal tube with a cap on the end and a hole drilled into the tubes side? It appears and feels like that, but I have not removed it yet to relocate or put a filter on it.

Granted the truck will likely never see that kind abuse, just takes once though.

Accomplished the rear diff the other night. Used brass fittings, and a mesh fuel filter. A plastic elbow allowed the vent to turn upward into the aft left side bed storage box, with a short hose finishing it. Not that it matters, no new holes were drilled to make the change.

PK

6. Jul 30, 2011 at 6:03 AM
    PMK

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport

That topic on the other forum is very good and where I got my information regarding the automatic transmission vent. Thing is, the detail drawing does not really, to me anyway, show the same item. The ones circled in red.

I will find some time and remove the vent and see exactly what is going on with it.

My concern is not so much the actual height the breather vent lives at, but more the chance of water rushing forward when slowing or stopping and pushing up the bellhousing, filling the vent tube.

Being realistic, water is bad regardless, but a diff will survive far better than an automatic tranny.

PK

7. Oct 25, 2011 at 11:05 PM
    Chepo

Chepo Tankoma!

Member:
    Mexico City
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport
    Lots...
  8. Oct 26, 2011 at 9:02 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Cheapo, Yes it's been done before. As far as I know I don't think anyone has done a write up or 'how to' guide yet. If you do it take pics and make a 'how to guide' to help people.

Products Discussed in

To Top