Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Over-sized oil filter!

Old 07-30-2011, 12:16 AM   #1
Pill it till you kill it!
DheadTaco is on a distinguished road

DheadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Question Over-sized oil filter!

Does it really matter if you run the over-sized oil filter or not. Ive been running the Mobil1 m1-102 for a while and no problems. Just noticed that Toyota runs the over-sized one and wondering why. Autozone's computers have the 4.0 V6 05-till calling for the M1-102. Any idea?
Old 07-30-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I'm guessing for some added protection? I run a huge K&N HP-3001.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Do you add a little extra oil or just the 5.5 qts?
Old 07-30-2011, 12:26 AM   #4
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
It may provide added protection and you may be able to go on a longer filter change interval...I really don't know.

I say just stick with the Mobil 1 filter, those are VERY good filters. The K&N is nothing but the nut on top for easy take off, it's the same exact filter inside as the Mobil 1, and made by the same company.

Wix, toyota, purolator are also very good.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:28 AM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DheadTaco View Post
Do you add a little extra oil or just the 5.5 qts?
I did add 6 quarts at first but then I just stayed at 5.5. The level seems fine with 5.5 quarts. I have to check soon if i ever get some time.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:32 AM   #6
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think 5,000 miles is long enough to make much of a difference in oil filter size. But mobile 1 is quality.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:36 AM   #7
Yo! Wat up peeps?
1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future

1Bigbird's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...mpetition.html

Oil filter deconstruction thread!
Old 07-30-2011, 12:37 AM   #8

Quote:
I did add 6 quarts at first but then I just stayed at 5.5. The level seems fine with 5.5 quarts. I have to check soon if i ever get some time.
lol Same here, have to check soon.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmdcfan View Post
I don't think 5,000 miles is long enough to make much of a difference in oil filter size. But mobile 1 is quality.
agree.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:48 AM   #11
Banned
I'm sure many people do with no problem.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:45 AM   #12
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
The idea with the larger filters is that they take longer to clog. If the material clogs the filter has a bypass in it which will let the oil through the filter without filtering it.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:46 AM   #13
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
When I'm out of warranty and start extending the drain intervals based on oil analyses, I'll probably run the larger filter. It makes sense, if I'm running 10,000 or 12,000 mile intervals, might as well have larger media surface area and volume available for filtering.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #14
kramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to all

kramer2k's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
When I'm out of warranty and start extending the drain intervals based on oil analyses, I'll probably run the larger filter. It makes sense, if I'm running 10,000 or 12,000 mile intervals, might as well have larger media surface area and volume available for filtering.
That's precisely why I run the larger M1 oil filter. My recent Blackstone Labs oil analysis revealed that at 8K miles my oil was doing great. I'll be running this current oil to 10K miles. I feel more comfortable having the larger filtering surface.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:10 AM   #15
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post2079162
Old 07-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #16

I dont go more than 4000 miles, period. I think that spending 60 bucks every 3 months is worth it and dont need to run the oil that long
Old 07-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #17
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Get the M1-209. Thats the one I run. Bigger is always better, probably not necessary, but I just want it in case I run late on oil changes, like right now I usually go for 6k oil changes on synthetic. Anything after that and you can feel it in performance.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #18
Coupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coupe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Me too. Painted RR.