Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

265/75/16 Tire pressure ques

Old 07-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
NS TRD is on a distinguished road
NS TRD's Tacoma Gallery
265/75/16 Tire pressure ques

I just put 4 new BFG 265/75/16 Mud terrain KM2 on my 08 Tacoma access cab TRD...when i left the tire place everything was fine...but after an hr or so of driving my tire pressure light came on..and has stayed on since....what pressure should i be running in these to put the light out?for the stocks it calls for 29 in the front and 32 or something in the back?but these are bigger tires...so i'm unsure if it would be the same or not
Old 07-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on the year of your truck you might have a sensor in the spare too. Check that all tires are the same psi and re-set the TPMS to what ever pressure you decide to go with. For the correct pressure do the chalk test. If a re-set doesn't fix it they might have damaged one of the sensors.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Depending on the year of your truck you might have a sensor in the spare too. Check that all tires are the same psi and re-set the TPMS to what ever pressure you decide to go with. For the correct pressure do the chalk test. If a re-set doesn't fix it they might have damaged one of the sensors.
This ^^
Old 07-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Yes... adjust the pressure for your new tires, then RE-SET the TPMS! How to do it is in your owner's manual!! It is easy to do.

Chalk test is to chalk a wide line across the tread, then drive a hundred feet or so... Examin the chalk left on the tread...

You want even wear across the tire.. If only the center rubbed off... TOO MUCH air.

The pressure listed on the sidewall is the max. pressure (for max. load carrying) and not the normal pressure you want to run, typically.

My truck door jam says (with Rugged Trails, when new) 29 psi front and 32 psi rear... When I changed to a better tire with a 44 psi max. rating, I found 32 to be too soft and 36 felt fine... I have not done the chalk test myself.