Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Clunking noise?

Old 07-30-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
say NO to BRO!
jedrovsky is on a distinguished road
jedrovsky's Tacoma Gallery
Clunking noise?

OK, I have a 07 DC prerunner..it has 56xxx miles and whenever I back up and turn I would hear a clunking noise and sometimes as I drive away coming from the front of my truck. What are your guys' opinion to what is making that "clunking" noise...I was thinking that its probably from the steering rack or brakes? I searched here but most are from 1st gen. tacos'
Old 07-30-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Only once when you first start driving? ABS self test....sounds like a spring being sprung? Normal.

If its actually a clank, could be your brake pads, which is also normal
Old 07-30-2011, 11:54 PM   #3
say NO to BRO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Only once when you first start driving? ABS self test....sounds like a spring being sprung? Normal.

If its actually a clank, could be your brake pads, which is also normal
everytime I back up and turn and sometimes when I drive away..It usually happens when the wheel is fully turned both ways..ABS self test?..how do you do that?..(noob question)
Old 07-30-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brian's Tacoma Gallery
You don't control the ABS test, but it does it when you first start driving. I don't remember if it only does it in reverse or not.

Does it sound like a spring being sprung or more like a clank of metal?
Old 07-31-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
say NO to BRO!
Quote:
You don't control the ABS test, but it does it when you first start driving. I don't remember if it only does it in reverse or not.

Does it sound like a spring being sprung or more like a clank of metal?
more of a clank...its pretty loud too
Old 07-31-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrovsky View Post
more of a clank...its pretty loud too
K, does it happen when you first press the brake pedal? If so, its the brakes adjusting. You could be coming due for a new set of brake pads. Its still normal though.

If it is always happening and not just when you first start driving then Id suspect bad bushings or ball joints, but your mileage is still pretty low, so Id be surprised.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:10 AM   #7
say NO to BRO!
Quote:
K, does it happen when you first press the brake pedal? If so, its the brakes adjusting. You could be coming due for a new set of brake pads. Its still normal though.

If it is always happening and not just when you first start driving then Id suspect bad bushings, but your mileage is still pretty low, so Id be surprised.
before and after i press on the brake...what mileage are the bushing usually worn?
Old 07-31-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
before and after i press on the brake...what mileage are the bushing usually worn?
Couldn't tell ya, with normal highway driving it could be awhile. I'm at 90k miles on mine and they're still in good condition. Much better than any domestic I've ever driven.

If you could take a video with your phone and post the sound its making, it would help...otherwise I can't do much better given your description. There are also plenty of TW members in your area that might be able to help you.

If you can tell me exactly what triggers the noise, then I could figure it out. Ie, stepping on the brake can make a noise, turning the steering wheel can make another noise. Putting it in drive can be another noise.

If its in the steering rack, then you should be able to hear the noise by cranking the wheel back and forth, and would not require the vehicle to be moving.

If its brakes, you should be able to reproduce without turning.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:21 AM   #9
say NO to BRO!
Quote:
Couldn't tell ya, with normal highway driving it could be awhile. I'm at 90k miles on mine and they're still in good condition. Much better than any domestic I've ever driven.

If you could take a video with your phone and post the sound its making, it would help...otherwise I can't do much better given your description. There are also plenty of TW members in your area that might be able to help you.

If you can tell me exactly what triggers the noise, then I could figure it out. Ie, stepping on the brake can make a noise, turning the steering wheel can make another noise. Putting it in drive can be another noise.
Will do.. Thanks for the help though I actually know someone who can help me out....Just wanted an opinion from TW members about it
Old 07-31-2011, 12:21 AM   #10
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
If however, you can only reproduce the noise while driving AND turning, then Id guess ball joints.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:22 AM   #11
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Will do.. Thanks for the help though I actually know someone who can help me out....Just wanted an opinion from TW members about it
I'm sure others will chime in, I'm guessing I'm the only one that's up this late right now though.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:24 AM   #12
say NO to BRO!
Quote:
If however, you can only reproduce the noise while driving AND turning, then Id guess ball joints.
usually when I back up and turn at the same time and the initial drive away
Old 07-31-2011, 12:25 AM   #13
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
If the brake pad clips are not put in right, they will move farther than usual and cause a clunk. Especially after going from reverse to drive. You will also notice it going over things like speed bumps...

If that's the case, put them on correctly so they don't have a lot of play and it will be reduced greatly.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:27 AM   #14
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Also, if you are turning your wheel all the way to lock, the steering stops will rub causing a poping noise.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:28 AM   #15
say NO to BRO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7XTaco View Post
If the brake pad clips are not put in right, they will move farther than usual and cause a clunk. Especially after going from reverse to drive. You will also notice it going over things like speed bumps...

If that's the case, put them on correctly so they don't have a lot of play and it will be reduced greatly.
yea...i figured it would have been either the brakes or steering rack..because the steering wheel shakes at 65mph and above
Old 07-31-2011, 12:29 AM   #16
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I'm thinking along the line of ball joints then. You might be able to feel them if you grab your tire and try yanking it towards you forcefully. If you do it strong enough it should shake your truck and you will hear and feel the same noise. You can also visually inspect them. They are the two large joints, upper and lower that hold your axle hub on. Look for broken boots and grease coming out.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:31 AM   #17
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yea...i figured it would have been either the brakes or steering rack..because the steering wheel shakes at 65mph and above
Steering wheel shaking can also be a sign of bad ball joints. Had exact same symptoms on one of my old cars when it went out. Unfortunately, the way our tires/wheels are balanced... (Hub-centric) it could also just mean your tires out of balance.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:41 AM   #18
say NO to BRO!
well..i know what im doing tomorrow..hopefully this aint too bad
Old 07-31-2011, 05:18 AM   #19
Tacoma Joe is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
Tacoma Joe's Tacoma Gallery