1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

lug nut bolts keep breaking

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 07TaCo07, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Aug 4, 2011 at 8:22 PM
    Bosmob

Bosmob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Access Cab SR5 I4 4AT
    Fat Bob's 2.75" front spacers Magnaflow Muffler Doug Thorley Header ImMrYo Mirror Bracket
    Anti-Seize is a definite NO NO!

Impacts are perfectly fine as long as you use a torque stick with a lower value than the specs for the vehicle AND you have the impact on the lowest tighten setting.

2. Aug 4, 2011 at 8:24 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Try turning the lugwrench counter-clockwise.

3. Jan 31, 2015 at 6:16 PM
    Sparkler

Sparkler Jedi

Member:
    So. Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4, 4cyl.
    Just broke one of my lug nuts. :(
    I'll man up and share how just so someone else doesn't do it....
    I used the stock lugwrench and stepped on it. One or two bounces was all she took and SNAP!

I've been removing lug nuts this way for years (I'm 46) and never had a problem, but one finally found me.

Do NOT use the factory lug wrench for anything but an absolute emergency.

That is all.

4. Jan 31, 2015 at 8:09 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    That is what caused it to break. Stepped on the lug wrench and bounced! You should apply pressure to the end of the tool with one hand while supporting the other end at the nut with the other hand. Feet should never be used. Or if you are a woman call a man or AAA to change the tire for you.

5. Feb 1, 2015 at 1:31 AM
    muisejt

muisejt Well-Known Member

Member:
    YMM
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport DC LB
    Katzkin, Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S), 4Runner Mirrors, Complete Stereo Upgrade with Backup Camera, Pop&Lock PL5400, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau, TRD OR Tow Hook, rcbs204 4x4 Illuminated Switch, Grillcraft, 10" Rigid light bar behind grill, relocated horns, Redline Tuning hood struts, 5100's with 883 and Wheeler 5 leaf, OME carrier barring drop kit, ECGS Bushing, MarionB2B front hubs

if you had to jump then something was wrong, I use a 17" breaker bar and it takes very little effort to break them loose

6. Feb 1, 2015 at 1:57 AM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    This man nailed it right here on the method to properly mounting on these Yota rims and lugs without damaging anything. That's the way I have always done it on my own Taco and it has yet to fail me. I make sure the wheel is nice and centered then I'll start installing a lug nut. I get to installing the second directly across from the first one I installed then I lightly hit them both with an impact to make sure they are in and fully seated. After that I install the remaining four then hit the very last one at full impact then cross tighten the rest of them to torque. This method has never failed me, nor any other vehicle that had the correct fitting lug nuts/rims combo in my 12+ years of working on vehicles, ever.

7. Feb 1, 2015 at 9:46 AM
    tfeltz73

tfeltz73 That's greasy Ricky

Member:
    central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2013 supercharged long travel thing
    My company uses anti seize on every vehicle and every machine. We have about 20 trucks and drive to Texas every other week and have never had a problem with lug nuts losening. We make sure we retorque after 100 miles. If we don't use anti seize, the lug nuts can be a bitch to get off, especially if it's a older vehicle with a lot of miles that the wheels have been taken off a bunch.

8. Feb 1, 2015 at 10:20 AM
    SWB Tacoma

SWB Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Limited DC AT SB 4x4
    The secret is not to over torque them. Always go by torque specs. Over torquing results in stretched stubs an then they break.

9. Feb 1, 2015 at 10:30 AM
    Kevinztaco

Kevinztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    none yet
    Question: Anti seize or no anti seize?

Answer: Some do and some don't base on the replies.

I guess it is up to the owner huh? I personally don't use anti seize and no impact gun. I torque my wheels one by one by hand to the toy's specification when I'm at home. If I'm on the road, I'd put enough force to keep it tight for me to get home safely then I'd torque it. Never a problem all of these yrs.

10. Feb 1, 2015 at 10:50 AM
    SWB Tacoma

SWB Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Limited DC AT SB 4x4
    No anti seize.

30 weight oil few drops.

Torqued to spec.

11. Feb 1, 2015 at 10:56 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I use anti-seize AND an impact gun, to run the lugs on. Then I torque them at 75% of the nominal value, to allow for the increased lubrication the anti-seize provides. I haven't broken a stud in decades...but I do tend to keep spare studs and lug nuts on hand for when I find a bad one.

Howard

12. Feb 1, 2015 at 12:46 PM
    xtyfighterx

xtyfighterx Master Shredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    CDA Idaho/ Deadhorse Ak
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SW TRD OR/ 2015 tundra CM off road sr5
    3in lift, 5100s front and rear, OME 887 springs 2in aal, 285 75 16 Duratracs, mb 352 black wheels, white sport grill, derp'd lower valance, derp'd front toyota emblem white, tinted windows, tinted tail lights, trd shorty antenna, trd hitch cover, trd valve stem caps, trd neoprene covers, trd all weather floor mats, kenwood double din, stampede window visors, flyzeye interior leds, anytime fog light mod, flashlight mod, kool vue intake, LED dome light, Lund bug shield, TRD shift knob,front mud flaps removed, Debadged, truxedo roll up bed cover, led fog light bulbs, led parking light bulbs, led dtrls bulbs, led headlight bulbs, led back up light bulbs, led license plate bulbs, tinted license plate covers, 18" magnaflow muffler, 32in ebay, light bar, coverking neoprene resr seat cover, oem trd skid plate, trd decal on center caps, oem trd exhaust tip, blacked out pinch welds, color matched mirror covers.
    It's pretty easy to go over spec with a tire iron use a torque wrench 85lbs isn't alot

13. Feb 1, 2015 at 12:57 PM
    MatthewMay1

MatthewMay1 I'm an amateur professional.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    I always just use an impact gun with the compressor set to 90 psi.... Never had a problem

14. Feb 1, 2015 at 1:03 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    The general consensus here is that if you live in the Midwest or by an area that has many contaminants, road salt/grime use anti seize. If you live in a generally clean area and generally maintain your stuff at every oil change you will be fine.

15. Feb 1, 2015 at 1:28 PM
    nealkas

nealkas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nealkas
    Pee-Ay
    Vehicle:
    08 Superwhite DCSB 4x4, stock.
    40+ yrs wrenching everything from aircraft to Zambonis. Quarry machinery, jumbo trucks, rock crushers, salt water boats, large machinery dating back to the 1870's.

For lugnuts:
    Antiseize always.
    Use air just to snug them.
    Torque wrench to specs.

Never lost a tire. Never broke a stud I'd previously gotten free.
    If getting a stud loose seems too hard, I break out the hot wrench.
    Little heat on the nut, cool rag on the stud, and off it comes.

Before removing a wheel, sometimes I'll hit the threads with a wire toothbrush and some PB if the is a lot of junk built up.

Products Discussed in

To Top